Chief's new lines

mojo1917

Raffl - Giroux - Lecavalier
McGinn - B. Schenn - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Hall - Talbot - Rinaldo
[Hartnell - Newbury - Rosehill]

Well @radoran

looks like we'll get to see what VLC does on G's wing after all.

could it be that Berube is the "smartest hockey guy I know" only because Homer never met you ?  :D 

Also per Meltzer, Streit to the top PP Viking to the 2nd unit.

I reckon Chief sees what we see.

I will also add that i bet he thinks Voracek is dogging it and/or showed up out of shape, and that makes coach a little loco, to see all that talent unable to play at game speed.

Hall - Talbot - Rinaldo

I really like the look of those lines. The one thing for certain is the injuries that the Flyers have every year. Hartnell could be plugged into any of those lines and probably not look out of place. Newbury and Rosehill....not so much. You have three solid lines with scoring potential and a 4th that would look good as a penalty killing unit.

Vorachek is still working his way back from a back strain that has slowed him down tremendously.  This week off should speed him up.

@Philly29

i agree, it's not like the lines we're used to seeing play together were setting the world afire.

I'm glad to see Chief making some moves and putting his mark on the team.

i think (well i hope) we see better skating from them too.

• Like 1

The only thing I might not love here is Cooter w/ Simmonds.   Read is the only above average skater on that line.  As much as I love the Wayne Train he is not the best skater out there and certainly not fast.   Coots, well, Coots is just a bit slower than most...   We will see how it works out but overall I like the linuep.

This is B Schenn's chance to make a statement and maybe he and Jake can find a little chemistry.  I also like McGinn on that line as well...  

Something positive...  now we just need a win.

Edited by murraycraven

The only thing I might not love here is Cooter w/ Simmonds.   Read is the only above average skater on that line.  As much as I love the Wayne Train he is not the best skater out there and certainly not fast.   Coots, well, Coots is just a bit slower than most...   We will see how it works out but overall I like the linuep.

This is B Schenn's chance to make a statement and maybe he and Jake can find a little chemistry.  I also like McGinn on that line as well...  

Something positive...  now we just need a win.

simmonds on the line that is supposed to be checking the other team's top lines is a little scary...

• Like 1

simmonds on the line that is supposed to be checking the other team's top lines is a little scary...

He works hard with a high compete level, let's see if he can develop and handle the responsibility. Also, the thinking could be to have Simmonds dig against the boards in the defensive zone, enabling the defenseman to stay more at home.

He works hard with a high compete level, let's see if he can develop and handle the responsibility. Also, the thinking could be to have Simmonds dig against the boards in the defensive zone, enabling the defenseman to stay more at home.

Doom... He is going to have to improve then... He has been terrible on the boards thus far... He can do it but if he keeps playing like he has it will not work.

Not just him but everyone...

Welcome back davies! Haven't seen you around in a loooong time!

I think Simmonds is on that line for a lack of better options. By setting the top 6 a certain way, that's what you get, I guess.

PS - Are you really in Nunavut? Last I remember you were in NYC.

Hall - Talbot - Rinaldo

Well @radoran

looks like we'll get to see what VLC does on G's wing after all.

could it be that Berube is the "smartest hockey guy I know" only because Homer never met you ?  :D 

Also per Meltzer, Streit to the top PP Viking to the 2nd unit.

I reckon Chief sees what we see.

I will also add that i bet he thinks Voracek is dogging it and/or showed up out of shape, and that makes coach a little loco, to see all that talent unable to play at game speed.

A couple of things.

I want to see Voracek with Giroux. They've played well together in the past. Rad reminded me of that and I agree with it.

Raffl on the first line is ridiculous. There's no point to moves like this imo. You know a guy like that is never ever going to stick on the first line, so putting them there because they try hard is just pointless. It's an overreaction.

I like McGinn so far, but having him and Raffl in the top 6 is too many green players. Schenn is just starting to show signs of breaking out and you stick him with an unproven kid? It just looks like a little too much inexperience on the top two lines to me.

Put Voracek with Giroux, Simmonds with Schenn and McGinn, and Raffl on the third line.

• Like 1

The best part of those lines is that Newbury and Rosehill are viewed as useful for the 4 forward lines as a player on the IR!

I think Vinny's spot on the Wing is only temporary and it has more to do with his injury recovery than where he fits in the lineup.  It is also good to see Couts having some decent wingers to play with.

I don't know how it will work out, but really, what do we have to lose? It's kinda refreshing to see Raffl get a shot a big time minutes. Maybe it jumpstarts his career? Right about now, it's time to reward hard work, so I don't have a problem with the experiment. If they don't click, send him to the 3-4 lines, but it's a decent gamble. Lavi would have never done something like this, so I like it even more. This teams offense sucks so bad, there is literally nothing to lose by throwing McGinn and Raffl in the top 6, at least they are playing like they care, which is more than you can say about 1/2 our forwards.

How does a pro who just signed a big extension show up in bad shape?  TIme to press box some of these floaters. Vorachek gets the big pay day and he shows his loyalty and appreciation by eating Twinkies all summer.....pfffft.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

Did you see any of the 3rd period of Pens game ? I was tempted to throw the remote through the TV at about the 14 minute mark of the second period, so if you say no i can't blame you.  However I saw some spark from Voracek and Giroux when Raffl was with them in the 3rd, i think he had 3 shifts with them and they were dominant with the puck/puck possession.  He went to the net, had enough wheels to keep up with them and helped provide room for 93 and 28 to operate.  I thought it was the best Voras and G played this season, then for whatever reason Chief went back to Read instead of Raffl and the line lost it's effectiveness.

I also think based upon what i have seen from Berube's comments regarding 93 that he's on his way to the doghouse if in fact he's not already there.  I think Chief expects Voracek to be a leader on the ice and he and we're not seeing that from 93.  He's not been dynamic, he hasn't shot the puck well, he hasn't had that burst and hasn't been strong on the puck .  So maybe playing with Schenn who is a 110% effort guy will rub off on Voracek and he gets his mojo back.

Raffl may stick, he's an unknown for me, i saw enough offensive capability from him to think he has top 6 potential.  

McGinn hustles and can skate and i wonder if his promotion to the top 6 is Berube telling the team skating matters, if you can skate you play. 

through 8 games the status quo was not providing good results so why not make some changes.

i think VLC with his offensive creativity and strength on the puck will help open some space for Giroux to make plays. that was the dynamic Jagr brought, he could hold the puck and create room for his linemates. maybe VLC can do the same, Voracek wasn't .

Raffl on the first line is ridiculous. There's no point to moves like this imo. You know a guy like that is never ever going to stick on the first line, so putting them there because they try hard is just pointless. It's an overreaction.

Raffl was their top forward the last game.  At least he's working hard, which can not be said for the players that have been top 6 normally.

I'd skate an Icegirl in the top 6 if she can win a puck battle and generate an offensive scoring chance.  

• Like 2

@jammer2

yeah, Voracek lives pretty high on the hog during the offseason. 

i mean czech beer is good and all...and he does own  a brew pub or some crazy **** like that, but i'd think rather than spending camp and the first 3 weeks of the season puking because damn i'm fat and out of shape he'd maybe pull back on that a little bit and if not train hard at least maintain a level of fitness.

Right now we need scoring more than we need ALMOST anything else.  In light of that, I would put our best 3 offensive players together, make an acceptable 2nd line who you hope can chip in, and then do the others piece meal.

Voracek/Giroux/Vinnie L.

Read/Schenn/Simmonds

McGinn/Couturier/Raffl

Talbot/Hall/Rinaldo

I would move Timonen off the top PP unit and replace him with Streit.

I would try more acceptable D pairings with a Defense first guy and offense first guy as a pair using only big pairings like Grossmann and Coburn together for the PK.

• Like 1