We won!

Jam1986

As a Wings fan, not happy with my boys tonight but truthfully, they played very well for 40 minutes, and then your Flyers took over. The Flyers WON the game. The Wings didn't give them anything (other than wretched goaltending from Jimmy Howard) the Flyers took it to them. Couts is growing up right before everyones eyes, he has benefited by the coaching change more than anyone on the team.

As a Wings fan, not happy with my boys tonight but truthfully, they played very well for 40 minutes, and then your Flyers took over. The Flyers WON the game. The Wings didn't give them anything (other than wretched goaltending from Jimmy Howard) the Flyers took it to them. Couts is growing up right before everyones eyes, he has benefited by the coaching change more than anyone on the team.

Once the Flyers got past the ridiculous amount of calls(most of them earned not all) they just kind of bared down and brought the hammer. If not for Mason's play in the first 2 periods, this game was 6-2 Detroit at the start of the 3rd. The Flyers caught an even bigger break due to the Wings carrying the normal Flyers amount of injuries and Jimmy Howard doing his best Ilya Bryzgalov impression.

Edited by flyerrod

Once the Flyers got past the ridiculous amount of calls(most of them earned not all) they just kind of bared down and brought the hammer. If not for Mason's play in the first 2 periods, this game was 6-2 Detroit at the start of the 3rd. The Flyers caught an even bigger break due to the Wings carrying the normal Flyers amount of injuries and Jimmy Howard doing his best Ilya Bryzgalov impression.

Why you hef to be mad?

Should I be happy? Is it a feeling they beat a team that they should of beat with all their missing guys?

The Wings were without their top line last night. We've been without a top line all year. Hurray, Flyers are now 2-16-2 in Motor City since 88.

And how about Couturier - God I'm sick of watching him score!

• Like 1

That's pretty much how I saw it. Even without their two big guns I thought the Wings were just out-classing the Flyers for the first two periods. I don't know what Berube said after the second but the Flyers were completely different team in the third.

The Wings were without their top line last night. We've been without a top line all year. Hurray, Flyers are now 2-16-2 in Motor City since 88.

And how about Couturier - God I'm sick of watching him score!

Might as well trade him now. His value will never be higher.

• Like 1

I thought the Flyers looked like a different team from the one that played in Minnesota, didn't see too many cross ice passes into sticks and shin pads.

I didn't think the Wings "out classed" anyone in the first period, i thought that was pretty evenly played,  in the second the play favored the wings, though I can't tell if playing short handed for 9 minutes hurt the Flyers or not  :ph34r: .

Poor Zac Rinaldo, that guy gets a rogering from the referees nightly, they swallow the whistle while some heinous **** happens to him, and perk right up the second a guy falls to the ice within 8 feet of him.  in general i thought there was some really poor refereeing and linesmanning ? last night, some terribly, terrible missed offsides calls,  the Joe is like the Bell Centre in that regard though.

Tartar has some dynamite hands.  His first goal was a thing of beauty and his second showed a boat load of confidence. 

@JackStraw wrote something a couple of days ago about this team being a work in progress, and he's right. Last night, beating a traditionally good team in their building when their star players are out of the lineup is what good teams do... so that seems to me to be a sign of growth and improvement.

Nice win against a Team missing their top line.   I will take the 2 points but the first two periods where meh...   Great 3rd period and nice to see them have some jump ion the third and play with confidence. 

My only question is that when is Cooter's skating going to get better.  I mean he will never do anything with his skating ability :ph34r:

That's pretty much how I saw it. Even without their two big guns I thought the Wings were just out-classing the Flyers for the first two periods. I don't know what Berube said after the second but the Flyers were completely different team in the third.

he said, "Big crowd out there tonight. Let's really try to win this one, eh, boys"

@yave1964

"wretched goaltending by Jimmy Howard"

So... you're saying there's a chance they go after Miller?

:ph34r:

No way no how. We are up against the cap so tight that if a defenseman goes down we have zero room to recall one, let alone add Miller. Plus Howard signed that six year contract last year so he is not leaving. I think it is mostly mental with him, he needs to quit pressing and go back to who he was last year.

• Like 1

My only question is that when is Cooter's skating going to get better.  I mean he will never do anything with his skating ability

That was probably the best game of his young career last night. It's like he knew that he wouldn't miss the open net shooting from the other side of the red line. It was that kind of night for him.

For the past few weeks, the 3rd line is really the 1st line.

• Like 1

That was probably the best game of his young career last night. It's like he knew that he wouldn't miss the open net shooting from the other side of the red line. It was that kind of night for him.

For the past few weeks, the 3rd line is really the 1st line.

No doubt Brel!   Hope the kid keeps it up b/c it has been fun watching him!  That entire line is playing great.

The win was also a result of what so many of us having been saying all along. Get somebody  in front of the NET. Hockey 101 goal tenders  don't like the other teams backsides  in their face.

Edited by Phlyer1
  • Like 1

The Flyers caught an even bigger break due to the Wings carrying the normal Flyers amount of injuries

Welcome to the grind it out style of the East it's been taking a toll on the Flyers for decades a different ball game than the wide open run and gun in the west.

I think it was one of the culprits from keeping a Cup out their (Flyers) grasp in the playoffs in 2004 that Tampa went on to claim the prize for the mash unit known as the Flyer's blueline....was the biggest reason they didn't go to the finals or that is my opinion....however it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot...i'll take it.

Flyers were a different team in the 3rd for sure could have used more of that verse Minny the other night.

Welcome to the grind it out style of the East it's been taking a toll on the Flyers for decades a different ball game than the wide open run and gun in the west.

I think it was one of the culprits from keeping a Cup out their (Flyers) grasp in the playoffs in 2004 that Tampa went on to claim the prize for the mash unit known as the Flyer's blueline....was the biggest reason they didn't go to the finals or that is my opinion....however it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot...i'll take it.

Flyers were a different team in the 3rd for sure could have used more of that verse Minny the other night.

You are right that team was decimated with injuries Roenick was on the ice and had no idea where he was .

That run is why they traded Williams for Markov - blue line help.

They brought in Malakhov, Markov, Ragnarsson and Commander Timander.

Here's their blue line with playoff games played:

Malakhov: 17

Markov: 18

Timander: 18

Ragnarsson: 14

Pitkanen: 15

Johnsson: 15

Seidenberg: 3

They also traded away Therien and Vandermeer. I think Kapanen played some D in that series, too.

They certainly spent a lot of resources on putting the blue line back together. Not to mention bringing in Zhamnov and Radivojevic (both of whom played all 18 games). More than 1/4 of the roster played less than a full season with the Flyers.

It's why I said then and maintain now that that team was "spit and bailing wire" and wasn't "a contender" from before the playoffs started. They played above their heads and, like beating the Pens and losing to the Devils a few years back, they got as far as could reasonably be expected.