Marchand is the new Avery, Domi, Barnaby...

hf101

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who is / was the the best jack-ass in the NHL?

Marchand has replaced Avery as the jack-ass entertainer that every team hates.  They've all been forwards who are a threat to score, but rank right up there as players that teams hate most.  If you missed Marchands latest antics he taunted the Canucks last night with a couple of Stanley Cup jesters which did not please coach Julian.

So who is your favorite NHL taunter?

There are guys you hate on other teams but would love to have on your own team, and then there are guys that you hate on other teams and you PRAY that your team never picks him up.  Marchand is the later. He's turned into a little puke that loves to run around hitting people late, flopping on the ice like he was shot when somebody responds and making silly little gestures like he did last night.   Classless was the word that immediately came to mind.

good stuff HF, thanks

Video reminds me how much I cannot stand Sabres announcer Rick Jeanerette. Wish someone from the Flyers broadcast team would have gone over and punched him in the throat ala Melissa McCarthy in Identity Thief! 

Dallas Stars pest Dominic Antoine Roussel should be on this list by the end of the season. Honorable mention to the Flyers own Zac Rinaldo too. Marchand and his diving and bad acting definitely carries the active player title. Barnaby probably leads as one of the best jackasses ever but he does have a lot of competition from the likes of Darcy Tucker, Claude Lemeiux, Ulf Sammuelsson, and Ti Domi.

Thanks to Chicago Hawkie for the correction.

Edited by flyerrod

You gotta have those guys though. As a Wings fan, I HATED Claude Freaking Lemieux. Hated him with a deep burning hate that encompassed me. But the fact is the rivalry would not have been the same without him.

I am not referring to ass clowns like Avery, I am referring to good old fashioned nasty hockey players who you cannot even stand to look at. I remember Lemieux flopping drawing a double minor against the Wings in a game, 99 or 2000, somewhere in there, looked like Maltby had killed him and a stretcher would be needed, instead after the penalty was called Lemieux jumped up spry as could be and buried us with a power play goal. God I hated the man. I hated his parents for giving birth to him.

But looking back I wouldn't trade having him with the Avalanche for anything. Yes, the valleys were that much lower because of a guy like that sticking a dagger in our heart, but the Peaks were sooo much higher when we returned the favor to them. When we beat the Avalanche I always looked for the camera to pan Lemieux or Roy so I could relish in their pain.

You have to have the guys in black hats so the white ones shine brighter. I love hating Marchand for that reason, not quite as much as Lemieux or Roy, but hopefully it gets there someday.

• Like 1

Dallas Stars pest Dominic Roussel should be on this list by the end of the season. Honorable mention to the Flyers own Zac Rinaldo too. Marchand and his diving and bad acting definitely carries the active player title. Barnaby probably leads as one of the best jackasses ever but he does have a lot of competition from the likes of Darcy Tucker, Claude Lemeiux, Ulf Sammuelsson, and Ti Domi.

Good call on Roussel, the man seems to get the game of super pest, he even commented recently on how he likes that aspect. And he can score a bit too.....

• Like 1

You guys all make very good points on all these players, but for my money, the numero uno jack ass HAS to be Sean Avery.

Seriously...at least the other guys on the poll have had consistent, steady NHL employment until they retired or as in the case of Marchand, still employed and playing a role on his team..even if it IS the role of King Rat.

Avery? This guy got traded around, kicked off teams, or simply buried in the minors IN HIS FLIPPIN PRIME....due to his antics not only on the ice, but off as well.

I mean, I am pretty sure there is a talented hockey player hidden somewhere inside the guy, but I gotta tell you, when I think of Sean Avery, I can't really think of any actual HOCKEY memories of him....I just think of his shenanigans off the ice, in hotel rooms, trading barbs with teammates, opponents, even his own coaching staff....oh, and of course, him playing the jumping jack game in front of Martin Brodeur....

Marchand, Domi, Barnaby, Lemieux, etc...for sure, cases can be made for all those guys for being jack asses, but Sean Avery wrote, re-wrote, then updated that book several times over in such a way that even THOSE players are probably saying, "Damn, what a jack ass that Avery is..." :)

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

I think the difference is Marchand can score some big goals. He IS the biggest jackass (IMO) but he's also pretty valuable talent-wise. Avery could play but usually was so caught up in being an idiot it took away from his game. I don't think Domi or Barnaby came close to marchand as players, but were every bit the jerk he is.

• Like 1

I'll comment more on this thread later, but right now, I;d have to say Antoine Roussel of the Dallas Stars.  He was an astronomical pain in the butt (and then some) in every game against the Hawks this season.

My bad, the Flyers had a goalie in the early 90's (Dominic Roussel)..Antoine Roussel is the guy I meant... Thank you for the correction.

Marchand for certain... Avery was king if it... Claude Lemieux was hated by all... Barnaby of course... Hextall made an ass of himself routinely... Cooke deserves mention... Darcy Tucker comes to mind more than Domi for me... Downie... Kaleta... Lapierre... Ruutu... Lots of names fit this topic.

• Like 1

My bad, the Flyers had a goalie in the early 90's (Dominic Roussel)..Antoine Roussel is the guy I meant... Thank you for the correction.

No worries ... one of the WGN morning news broadcasters did the same thing ... :P .

I wanted to mention Roussel in this thread because it seems like he will single-handedly bring Hawks-Stars matchups to a boiling point.

No worries ... one of the WGN morning news broadcasters did the same thing ... :P .

I wanted to mention Roussel in this thread because it seems like he will single-handedly bring Hawks-Stars matchups to a boiling point.

His play reminds me of Esa Tikkanen.....constantly yapping/hitting/and just being a regular PITA to play against with some speed and skill to boot. One of the things he has going for him is he doesn't to my knowledge have a Cooke/Marchand reputation for the dirty play...at least so far..

@flyerrod

Very true ... it had to have infuriated the Hawks when, in a recent game vs. the Stars, Roussel was awarded a penalty shot and scored on it.  I was watching on the DVR that morning as I was having my breakfast and getting ready for work ... and that made me want to throw my bowl of cereal at the TV ... :lol:

Ineresting about the Tikkanen mention ... he had a game language all his own, known as "Tikkanese", that he would use to taunt opposing players with.  He had once described his game in this way: "I know I would hate to play against me.".

• Like 1

Marchand for certain... Avery was king if it... Claude Lemieux was hated by all... Barnaby of course... Hextall made an ass of himself routinely... Cooke deserves mention... Darcy Tucker comes to mind more than Domi for me... Downie... Kaleta... Lapierre... Ruutu... Lots of names fit this topic.

I gotta go Avery.  For the most part, the rest of those mentioned kept the antics on the ice (or in the penalty box with Flyers fans in Domi's case). They all had long careers and left the game on their terms. Avery was banished never to return.

Avery seems to have been a...whatever....on the ice and off the ice and in the locker room. The "internship" at Vogue. The "sloppy seconds" comments.

I hate Marchand and Avery, but even after his career Matt Barnaby is making himself look stupid. He recently said that a player cannot be a repeat offender because his last offense was 18 months ago. I can't wait until Marchand is at that level so everyone can see his stupidity on a larger scale

I hate Marchand and Avery, but even after his career Matt Barnaby is making himself look stupid. He recently said that a player cannot be a repeat offender because his last offense was 18 months ago. I can't wait until Marchand is at that level so everyone can see his stupidity on a larger scale

He's correct on that point.  It was collectively bargained than the NHL cannot consider incidents that did not occur in the past 18 months when deciding whether or not to suspend a player (and for how many games if they do).  Ironically, Shanny cited Neal's history in his video even though Neal had not beed suspended in the last 18 months prior to the knee on Marchand.

He's correct on that point. It was collectively bargained than the NHL cannot consider incidents that did not occur in the past 18 months when deciding whether or not to suspend a player (and for how many games if they do). Ironically, Shanny cited Neal's history in his video even though Neal had not beed suspended in the last 18 months prior to the knee on Marchand.

And part of me wonders why he didn't appeal based on that. I'm glad he took responsibility unlike Thornton, but I am surprised they didn't use that mistake to appeal.

Slight edge to Avery, he went beyond the call of duty...lol. That semi-illegal hand waving stuff in front of Brodeur was hilarious (although it does have no place in the game). Agree with all the Rousell posts. I started noticing him a month or so ago and picked him up in fantasy hockey once he started to go on a offensive burst....the PIM"s were steady enough, but the increased pts (and short handed pts) make him fantasy gold. I usually don't have much patience with these types in fantasy, but Antoine's play is so valuable in so many cats, I promised myself I would be patient and leave him on my team.

Agree with all the Rousell posts. I started noticing him a month or so ago and picked him up in fantasy hockey once he started to go on a offensive burst....the PIM"s were steady enough, but the increased pts (and short handed pts) make him fantasy gold. I usually don't have much patience with these types in fantasy, but Antoine's play is so valuable in so many cats,

He's beginning to remind me of Claude Lemieux ...