Downie a healthy scratch vs Rangers

hf101

A big game tonight vs the Rangers as they have one less point than we do.  Seems like a tough one to take Downie out of the lineup unless Read is returning.

as per Meltzer

Steve Downie, who has been struggling of late, will be a healthy scratch tonight. Jay Rosehill will dress for the game.

Emery in net.

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 92 Jakub Voracek
19 Scott Hartnell - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds
15 Tye McGinn - 14 Sean Couturier - 40 Vincent Lecavalier
37 Jay Rosehill- 76 Chris VandeVelde - 18 Adam Hall

44 Kimmo Timonen - 5 Braydon Coburn
8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit
41 Andrej Meszaros - 22 Luke Schenn

29 Ray Emery/ 35 Steve Mason

RANGERS

20 Chris Kreider - 21 Derek Stepan - 61 Rick Nash
24 Ryan Callahan - 19 Brad Richards - 62 Carl Hagelin
67 Benoit Pouliot - 16 Derick Brassard - 36 Mats Zuccarello
22 Brian Boyle - 28 Dominic Moore - 13 Dan Carcillo

27 Ryan McDonagh - 5 Dan Girardi
18 Marc Staal - 6 Anton Stralman
17 John Moore - 4 Michael Del Zotto

30 Henrik Lundqvist
[33 Cam Talbot]

Either Downie is a little dinged up at this point or Chief is trying to send him a message about some of the penalties he has been taking. I am not a fan of Rosehill over Downie.....EVER or for any reason. If he is sending a message, I hope Downie "Gets" it.......

Either Downie is a little dinged up at this point or Chief is trying to send him a message about some of the penalties he has been taking. I am not a fan of Rosehill over Downie.....EVER or for any reason. If he is sending a message, I hope Downie "Gets" it.......

It's not just penalties.  It's utterly stupid play.  He's coughing the puck up as if his name is Luke Schenn.  Several have led to goals.  He was bad in the Tampa game, but I think it was the game against Montreal on the shorty, he kept passing it to the open point on the PP where no one was home.  At least twice it led to odd man rushes the other way on the power play and on the shorty, he did the pass to the point thing, the team covered for it, and then he gave it up again on the blueline for no particular reason and they coughed up the shorty.

Against Montreal they won anyway, but I was particularly pissed since I have Mason in fantasy and could have used the shutout (as it turns out, I'm getting crushed this week largely due to injuries and it wouldn't have mattered much).

He needs to sit.  Not just to remind him of energy and effort but to remind him to pay attention to the God damned details.  He's actually been a liability out there.   Agree with everyone that says this is a tough game to do it in, but if he's going to be a liability I'd rather him not out there.

He needs to sit. Not just to remind him of energy and effort but to remind him to pay attention to the God damned details. He's actually been a liability out there. Agree with everyone that says this is a tough game to do it in, but if he's going to be a liability I'd rather him not out there.

Part of it might have been splitting up the Cooter/Read/Downie line even if it was done for injury reasons. The chemistry on that line was a big part of turning around this season for the Flyers and I hope  they get reunited when Read is healthy.

Is that the Sabres season on the back of that yellow dress?

We play them next game we'll find out it may be the Flyers!

Seriously though now that the message has been sent to Downie can we please not stop there it be a travesty to single out this guy the way all of the team has played the last couple games.

First will someone hold the "defensemen" accountable for not playing defense.

Lets stop there.

Right there.

Before we talk about back checking forwards and all that crap.

Lets talk about the two most important guys on the team on the ice at the same time. Those two bums (insert names)...it start first and formost there.

These two guys have to be on the same page at the same time and the #1 unit who have been together the longest...Kimmo and Braydon aren't doing that and act like this is the first time they have been paired together.

They aren't the only pair, all 3 do it.

They need to fix that first before trying to tackle the other problems that face this team.

I suggest waiving Mezz...it's obvious he isn't going to play well enough for a trade...at least one not requiring the complementary 2nd rounder that Homer like to throw in to get done...and i'd prefer not to take that route so waive him bury him in the A get 900K cap relief and chalk it up as a lose....

...then just call Ollie up, it's time to reward the youth and i can think of no better time than now he leads all players on the team with a +12. And also what the hey nothing to lose here maybe something to gain.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I hate to say it but this is what average to bad teams do - there is no consistency.  They play above their level for a bit but eventually come back to earth and the inherent (defense) problems are still there.  I appreciate this nice little run but the fact remains they are nothing more than an average team w/ a terrible defense in a bad division. 

Thanks Steve Mason... without you we would be last in the division.

@murraycraven

Does anyone really think this team is going to do any serious damage with that D? The one good thing is that both our goalie and our best forwards are young enough to be around long enough to fill in those holes on D. A novel concept in Flyerdom.

FC,

I do think there are some who believe this Team is a contender.   Why?  I have no idea... this defense is just painful to watch.  I am over the Luke Schenn project.  Cut your losses and trade him and I could care less about how young he is... 

With that being said I really do like our young core and I really like that we have some youn defense prospects (finally!).  

The one good thing is that both our goalie and our best forwards are young enough to be around long enough to fill in those holes on D.

That would be nice but it also assumes they stick around.  And they way players come and go on these more recent Flyers teams, I am constantly holding my breath.  There apparently are no guarantees.

Looking at the defense I don't know how to upgrade in the manner everyone would like without nuking the core that is showing signs of being pretty good.

There aren't guys you would want to "build around" even becoming RFAs let alone UFAs, every GM in the league is signing their defensemen to lengthy and overblown deals... I like that swede in Winterpeg Tobias Enstrom, but they locked him up for 5 years, he can't be "had" for just money.  

You have to give to get and I truly don't see where you get "the 25 minute a night" top pairing guy without dealing roster players .  

I know we had Carle and the missteps to this point, so no need to pick that scab,  the change must come from within... and with that I don't know why we aren't letting the Dane get some minutes in the NHL and at least looking at the other guys in ADK.  Mezaros is a known quantity and is not doing anything to my eye that says he should be playing top 4 NHL minutes.  

This season can be dealt with our wise mind , the Flyers can contend  for the playoffs maybe even sneak in,  but for me working our young defensemen into to the mix for the eventual retirement of Timmonen and release of Mezaros should be happening now.

Coburn, Grossmann,Striet, ...Schenn?  there is potential for this to be a decent foundation on which to build.

• Like 1

Looking at the defense I don't know how to upgrade in the manner everyone would like without nuking the core that is showing signs of being pretty good.

agree mojo... I think you at the very least are going to have to give up one of the core kids to get a dman.  

• Like 1

agree mojo... I think you at the very least are going to have to give up one of the core kids to get a dman.

If you are looking for a single high impact guy, yes. If you go the other route, though, and just look to tighten up the blue line in general, that can probably be handled through FA or relatively minor trades. Girardi, hainsey kind of players.

Downie is a FA at the end of this season, right? If he is, I can't say I'm in a rush to resign him.

He is a UFA and is very likely to be Prospalled at this point.

Of course, there is also the risk he comes back, gets two goals in his first game back and is extended three years.

Sort of equal chances there...

He is a UFA and is very likely to be Prospalled at this point.

Of course, there is also the risk he comes back, gets two goals in his first game back and is extended three years.

Sort of equal chances there...

I've never been a fan of his, but I was ok with him when he first came back. He was playing well, had an impact, and had obviously toned down. But he hasn't done much since and I'm not in the mood for a 26 year old project player. I'd rather concentrate on some of the young players we have - who haven't quite established themselves yet - or go after someone else via free agency.