What is the Philly media fascination with Weber?

pilldoc

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140309_After_a_trade-deadline_tweak__Flyers_need_a_big_defenseman_in_offseason.html?248605591=Y&mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=1&pid=248605591&cid=8500281

Why do Flyers beat writers continually write about topics that seem very remote at this point.  Look, I was one that wanted Weber in O&B and it never panned out.  The Preds matched because they had to.  This ship has sailed.  I really don't see the Flyers trying to acquire Weber in the off-season unless it costs us an arm and a leg.  Please tell me if I am blowing this out of proportion? 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140309_After_a_trade-deadline_tweak__Flyers_need_a_big_defenseman_in_offseason.html?248605591=Y&mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=1&pid=248605591&cid=8500281

Why do Flyers beat writers continually write about topics that seem very remote at this point.  Look, I was one that wanted Weber in O&B and it never panned out.  The Preds matched because they had to.  This ship has sailed.  I really don't see the Flyers trying to acquire Weber in the off-season unless it costs us an arm and a leg.  Please tell me if I am blowing this out of proportion?

Well when there is nothing new going on and there is aslow news period guys can just create stuff, even if there is no truth to any of it just whip it up and put it out there and see if it sets sail.....and Weber rumors all ways work...

Well when there is nothing new going on and there is aslow news period guys can just create stuff, even if there is no truth to any of it just whip it up and put it out there and see if it sets sail.....and Weber rumors all ways work...

Carchidi is an idiot.

He writes, "Which brings us to the Flyers' old flame, Nashville's Shea Weber, a game-changing defenseman who would dramatically improve Philadelphia's Cup chances."

That's true, if we didn't have to give up anybody to acquire him.

It's not true if we have to gut the team to acquire him. And, sadly, Poile is not simply going to hand Weber over to us for nothing so Carchidi's statement - like so many of his others - is rubbish!!!!

• Like 2

@caluso  Yep, there would not be enough to compete after the Preds were done with us. I say forget this pipedream. You don't gut your roster signing someone else's superstar, you draft your own, or at least get them younger when you don't have to trade half your team to acquire them. For example, the Flyers could  have been in or Shattenkirk without gutting the roster. He's no Shea Weber, but a legit #1 guy eventually (even though Pietro will always be the true #1 on the Blues, you know what I mean).

Thanks guys for validating my thought process.  Sam IS an idiot who obvious can't come up with a story on his own.  Like I said, the Weber ship has come and sailed away.  Time to move forward.

Agreed with all that is said above. We need a porch clearer but why gut our roster?  The question we have to ask if the window (age + cap considerations) that we have to work with our nucleus of forwards?  I suspect 2-4 years. So...can we develop our D in that frame?   

Howie

Preds need offence and some replacement on D. I could see B Schenn, Laughton, Ghost , two first rounders and some cash getting it done. Pretty steep. Can't think Poile would accept much less.

Edited by merrex

Not much for chiming in on the board, but I have to say you guys are on point with this one about the writers...the Philly sports writers are always stirring the pot.  If it is not Weber, it is something else.  They all seem to sound the same, it's like they all just sit around and talk to one another...start up their own rumor, and then quote it as "reliable sources say..."  Do any of them have any background in hockey or do they just parrot what they here from around the league or each other?   I don't think anyone of the beat writers has played the game.  They need to do more than just complain about who we don't have or who we traded away.   Just sayin'.

Not much for chiming in on the board, but I have to say you guys are on point with this one about the writers...the Philly sports writers are always stirring the pot.  If it is not Weber, it is something else.  They all seem to sound the same, it's like they all just sit around and talk to one another...start up their own rumor, and then quote it as "reliable sources say..."  Do any of them have any background in hockey or do they just parrot what they here from around the league or each other?   I don't think anyone of the beat writers has played the game.  They need to do more than just complain about who we don't have or who we traded away.   Just sayin'.

and then there's panotch - another idiot.

i think he uses the magic 8 ball to come up with stories.

Webber is too costly ,not only in his contract, but in terms of players we would have to give up. Timmo is retiring , Streit is old and inot that good, we do need a legit number 1 or 2 defenseman., specifically a guy who can rush the puck,make accurate passes , with a good point shot and who can work the PP. Our only hope is to trade for a young skilled defenseman who has been drafted over the last2-3 years and is up and coming , just like B Schenn and Coots are upland coming ,but not

yet reached full potential. So we would trade one of our potential star centers ,fora potential star defenseman.

I think this is nothing g more than fantasy at this point. Weber is a great player but not worth what you are going g to have to spend to acquire him. RonJeremy said it - try to aquire a younger player that has a high ceiling if you can get one.

Honestly, I think if you could move one of the pylons (gross and or schenn) that would be a good start

I think this is nothing g more than fantasy at this point. Weber is a great player but not worth what you are going g to have to spend to acquire him. RonJeremy said it - try to aquire a younger player that has a high ceiling if you can get one.

Honestly, I think if you could move one of the pylons (gross and or schenn) that would be a good start

I agree....but how? Both have have Homer's seal of approval with NTMC. Homer really painted himself into a corner with those two.

I think there's a portion of the fan base that does it just as much. I still see his name pop up on message boards, my FB feed, the comments section in articles, blogs written by fans, and it's not just from the media.

I think he is just someone a lot of people - both fans and media alike - wanted to see come here and they can't get over the fact they lost out on him.

Every once and a while I forget there is a poster here that uses that as his screen name. You should see my face for those few seconds before I realize what is actually going on.

I agree....but how? Both have have Homer's seal of approval with NTMC. Homer really painted himself into a corner with those two.

Schenn signed his most recent contract with the Leafs. Plus, the NTC is modified and only kicks in in the last year of his contract (2015-2016 - he's too young to have one right now). Grossman's is modified as well. It's likely that they have to provide a list of "ok" teams if the Flyers ask.

I saw this today:  :lol:

and couldn't help but post parts of this blog as we know our philly media friends read our site.

A Rant on Weber Speculation

by Paul McCann

Over the weekend, I saw a posting on Twitter that just set me off. I’ve let these go for awhile now… but now, I have to go here. I’m completely sick of the arrogance of selective reporting from multiple members of media in multiple markets, sidelong tweets, silly speculation with no basis in fact, continuing to keep alive a narrative that was resolved almost two years ago. I feel a rant coming on, here we go…

Attention media from across the NHL… are you listening?

Shea Weber is not being traded. He is the captain of the Nashville Predators and will remain such until the Predators decide that he no longer will be or his contract expires… at the end of the 2025-26 season. That is Fact One.

Fact Two – Shea Weber wants to be in Nashville… period.
Fact Three - It makes no business sense whatsoever.
Fact Four - The Dollars Drive the Decision.

read more

@hf101

link must be down.  I just tried accessing from both this site and from hockeybuzz and it is not working.  I will try again in a bit. Sounds like a really good article.  thanks for sharing.

Hockeybuzz must have been down for a bit.

Ha. Meltzer is now tweeting the article. 

Hockeybuzz must have been down for a bit.

Ha. Meltzer is now tweeting the article. 

I wholeheartedly agree with his basic premise, but I would quibble with the idea that no one with a major role on a team that has a ridiculous long-term contract would be dealt.

Since it has happened already.

The speculation on the trade chill between NSH and PHL is also well-taken...

Question: Homer's offer sheet was a dick move, yes BUT was it really so crazy?

Worst case scenario, he gets the best d man in the world until he retires or waives a NTC clause to go to a contender.

That's the worst thing that could have happened.

In the mean time, homer forces The preds to ink weber to a contract no one in their right mind would take on.

Only an absolutely insane GM like homer or one over a barrel like Poulle would ever take on that deal. So homer loses out on weber, but screws the preds into locking him up with a deal that ensures no one will ever trade for him.

You keep him safely where he is and you handcuff that team from being too competitive themselves because of the commitment.

Insane, but just a little bit crazy like an insane fox.

Didn't Clarke do something similar with Kesler a few years back?

Anyway, all made moot by the fact that the preds had the good sense to suck in the stretch and get a higher draft selection to get one of the two hero d men that we really could have used.

In the end, all this discussion could have been eliminated if Lavvy would have had the good sense to realize the playoffs just weren't happening and this start to not try as hard just like everyone else they suddenly started beating figured out to do.

Yeah I'm sure Nashville wants to help Holmgren out after Holmgren's offer sheet... :ph34r:
Edited by King Knut