Penguins sign Carcillo to tryout contract

DinahMoeHumm

Interesting...

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6734304-74/carcillo-mackey-penguins#axzz3CMgxOiaN

Daniel Carcillo is returning to Pittsburgh.

This morning, general manager Jim Rutherford announced that the organization has signed Carcillo, who the Penguins drafted in the third round (73rd overall) in 2003, to a professional tryout contract.

Carcillo, 29 and a noted agitator, has played nine NHL seasons. He split the 2013-14 season between the Kings and the Rangers, finishing with five points and 100 penalty minutes in 57 regular season games.

Carcillo played two seasons with Wilkes-Barre Scranton (from 2005-07) and tallied 54 points and 494 penalty minutes 103 regular-season games.

The Penguins begin training camp later this month.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to wonder if all this stuff about the Pens being easy to 'get off their game' has elicited these sorts of signings (Downie, Carcillo).

If you think about it, with Downie/Carcillo putting themselves in the middle of scrums, controversies, and general unfriendly play, would that free up the team's stars to just be able to do their thing and not have to worry about opposing agitators bothering the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kunitz, Sutter..etc...??

In theory, that COULD work....however, the flip side of that is, Downie/Carcillo have a tendency to overdo it at times, which of course, will cost the Pens in the form of MUCH PK time.

The defense, the PK units, and MAF best be prepared to see lots of time where they are putting out fires rather than starting them.

The Downie signing, I could understand a bit. The guy is more of a hockey player than he is given credit for....although, in order to get that out of him, the right people (i.e. coaches) seemingly need to be around him. Not making excuses for him, but that is who and what he is.

Carcillo?

Arrghh....not so much. The guy is Grade A meathead who does more talking before/after whistles and via the media than in actual actions that help his team win games.

If these two guys combined get any amount of decent play time, I would not be surprised this coming season, to see the Pittsburgh Penguins listed at various points as a team that has to weather suspensions, or making the headlines for the WRONG reasons.

The Downie signing, I could understand a bit. The guy is more of a hockey player than he is given credit for....although, in order to get that out of him, the right people (i.e. coaches) seemingly need to be around him.

Tocchet definitely had a say in the Downie P/U. He knows what kind of play Downie is capable of and I suppose you saw some of his skill too when he was in Tampa.

There has been quite a bit of grumbling the past few years that Crosby and Malkin should have some protection. Early on when they had someone like Laracque, no one messed with them. Now he's taking abuse from all angles.

I know that the first thing out of peoples mouths this year will be, "See, he has to have someone else fight for him". I say great, keep him on the ice to score goals, that's his job.

To those calling Lemieux a hypocrite, sure, I'll give you that. Again, don't care, as a Pens fan, I want to see Crosby on the ice, not in the box.

@nossagog Didn't the Pens have Derek Engelland the past few seasons? A heck of a lot better "protection" than carcillo and Downie ...unless you consider all that penalty kill time the Pens will be forced to take as "protection" to Crosby and Malkin.

Sure, if no one would drop the gloves with him. And basically he was the Pens 8th defenseman, so he rarely played. Regardless, the Carcillo thing is a tryout only, so time will tell.

But as much as people complain about them, players like Carcillo, Downie, Cooke, Ruutu . . . make life hell on the opposing team, and protect the star players. But can they be controlled, only time, and Rick Tochett, will tell.

This is all part of Uncle Ed's master plan to destroy the Pens from within. First it was Tocchet, then Downie and now Carcillo. Snider's plan is working perfectly. Next up, Villie Leino will be signing in the Burgh! ;)

This is all part of Uncle Ed's master plan to destroy the Pens from within. First it was Tocchet, then Downie and now Carcillo. Snider's plan is working perfectly. Next up, Villie Leino will be signing in the Burgh!

Brilliant. I was just going to make a lame "sloppy-seconds" joke...

Brilliant. I was just going to make a lame "sloppy-seconds" joke...

Except sadly Carcillo was ours before he was yours... And Tocchet won a Cup here so now he denies ever being a Flyer ;)

And more to the point, I'm going Carcillo hunting. If I can catch him doing something stupid and arrest him maybe he'll be gone. I'm hearing he may have picked up ass grabbing somewhere...

I love that even the hockey news is calling out Mario as a hypocrite...

But is he? He's been asking the officials to protect players for years, and all we get is more leniency on obstruction and random mugging a of our $9 mill per year players. At some point you have to bring in disposable players who are willing to do stupid **** to people as a deterrent.

Having said that, I hope Carcillo is shown the door quickly.

And aren't the Flyers fans quick to say let the GM be the GM and the owner stay out of it? What makes everyone think this is Lemieux and not just Rutherford?? I think Rutherford is a moron anyway so have at him. But you can't say the owner should stay out of the decisions in one breath then hold him accountable for them the next.

But is he? He's been asking the officials to protect players for years, and all we get is more leniency on obstruction and random mugging a of our $9 mill per year players. At some point you have to bring in disposable players who are willing to do stupid **** to people as a deterrent.

And aren't the Flyers fans quick to say let the GM be the GM and the owner stay out of it? What makes everyone think this is Lemieux and not just Rutherford?? I think Rutherford is a moron anyway so have at him. But you can't say the owner should stay out of the decisions in one breath then hold him accountable for them the next.

Oh, look at my other post... Rutherford is an idiot and I think is going to be a short term failure for the Pens.  I agree but at the same time Mario was the most vocal about those types of players while employing some of the worst offenders - so yes, I would say he is a hypocrite.   I dont think you will find many Flyers fans loving Ed either but the fact remains Mario comes across looking a bit two-sided on the issue.  

You cant complain and employ the likes of Cooke, Neal, Downie and Carcillo...   I think Rutherford sees the Pens as a soft Team which is what most non-Pens fanbases have thought for a while now.   I guess he wants to protect the swans now but not sure if that is going to translate into wins...

I have doubts to Carcillo even being on the roster in Pitt for the first real game of the season.....barring any major injuries he will be gone because Tocchet won't put up with his crap.

This is all part of Uncle Ed's master plan to destroy the Pens from within. First it was Tocchet, then Downie and now Carcillo. Snider's plan is working perfectly. Next up, Villie Leino will be signing in the Burgh! ;)

Bruins ruin the plan by inviting Leino to camp. Guess Snider will have to send Bryz now ;)

Archived