Claude Giroux believes NHL’s best franchise player is Claude Giroux

hf101

PuckDaddy

Craig Custance of ESPN conducted a poll of the star players attending the League’s annual media days in New York this week: Who are the three players with whom you’d start an NHL franchise?

Giroux received one first-place vote -- from Claude Giroux. "I have to believe in myself, no?"    :D

14 players in the survey indicated that Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins was their preference, with Jonathan Toews a distant second. Benn was actually ranked first overall by Sidney Crosby.

Here is the list.

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jonathan Toews
3. Shea Weber
4. Tuukka Rask
5. Steven Stamkos
6. Jamie Benn
7. Zdeno Chara
8. Zach Parise
9. Claude Giroux
10. Ryan Getzlaf
11. John Tavares
12. Erik Karlsson
13. Henrik Lundqvist and Carey Price
14. Nathan MacKinnon

Who are your 3 players you would start a NHL Franchise with?

My answer:

Jonathan Toews
Nathan MacKinnon
John Gibson

First of all, Giroux as an answer to this question is laughable.

For me, it's Jonathan Toews in a walk.

Then, Anze Kopitar.

Then Ryan Getzlaf.

I've got the best middle money can buy.

Then I go get Ben Bishop and I plan my parade route.

Good, he is being paid like a franchise player .

His self belief is why he is where he is, he works hard has skill and competes .

I don't have a problem with him voting for himself at all.

That said I totally start with an un brain injured Crosby, or Towes post Crosby brain injury , then Weber. Then Keith.

I think Lundqvist is fantastic. I always found him underrated because of where he plays. I know we all know he's good, but he's still not discussed as often as he should be and I believe that is not because of his play, but rather the team in front of If he played for a better team, I think he'd have multiple Cups by now. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Doughty is next on my list, because as we see with Lundqvist, a good goalie can only get you so far if the team in front of him is not good enough.

Crosby is my last pick. With that much power in the back working on keeping the puck out of the net, I want offense on my top line. I want to destroy my opponent from both ends of the ice and because of that, it has to be Sid.

Well, if we are doing 'starting an NHL franchise' and the players would be as they are NOW, I would go....

Steven Stamkos... C/F

PK Subban ... D

Sergei Bobrovksky ... G

Right there, I have three very important positions filled then can build around that.

Also, those three guys have enough experience, but still young enough (again, assuming this whole thing means players as they are now), that they can be effective for years to come while the other talent on the team matures, and can compliment some other veterans that can be brought in as well.

Aside from an obvious bias towards Stamkos, I chose him over some other worthy Centers because he is a bit younger than some other choices, CAN play wing if needed just as effectively as center, is the perfect sniper for a PP, and now, even his defensive backchecking game is coming around to get him to the point where he is almost a complete player.

He also elevates, as any real good forward does, the play of those on his line as well.

PK Subban is NOT the best defenseman out there, but he is good enough, skates really well, has a swagger about him, and DEFINITELY will help put butts in seats to watch my new franchise as, like him or not, he is NEVER boring.

The guy agitates, makes crisp passes (yea, I will live with his occasional gaffe of pinching in at the wrong time), and is big and strong enough to where he can hit and check with the best in the league as well.

Bob?

Very good, underrated goalie, IMO, who is still only 25.

That's right, he seems like he has been around forever, but the guy is JUST now coming into his early prime as a goaltender, and if I am starting a new franchise, I want a guy who has been around the block, but still has room to grow with my team.

His play in net, while not elite (he could get there still...not a guarantee, but very possible), is still quite good, he has been known to stand on his head and steal games, and is quite durable and ready to go at a moment's notice for a game.

There ya go...I have my Forward/Center, my 1st or 2nd pair D-man, and a top starting goalie to begin my franchise....a few smart picks, some youngsters developing into solid NHL players, and some quality vets brought in to fill out the lineup, and my new franchise will shed their expansion label in no time!  ;)

Oh, and my take on Claude Giroux....

He absolutely is a good choice to begin a franchise if anyone saw fit to go that way.

Again, he still has youth on his side, is a heck of skater with lots of speed, has a TREMENDOUS amount of passion (please, ppl, restrain your cop jokes here....  :cool[1]:  ), has a very good nose for the net, plays hard, and even has a bit of a mean streak to his game.

Not so sure he is the type of player who can elevate those around him like a Stamkos, Toews, or Crosby can, but with the right linemates, can DEFINITELY be a force and drive opposing defenses crazy.....so if anyone wanted to begin a franchise and have him be on it, I wouldn't at all call them crazy for wanting to do so.

Archived