Training camp preview

brelic

A few very interesting pieces from Meltzer's piece this morning:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=62245#.VBLDeM6TOts.twitter

From early indications, it appears that the Flyers players took very seriously the mandates from head coach Craig Berube and general manager Ron Hextall to report to camp in the best shape of their lives. CSN Philly and HockeyBuzz writer Tim Panaccio noted the other day that Voracek (a player whose conditioning has been called in question in the past) arrived in Voorhees having dropped about 10 pounds after an off-season change to his diet. 

Awesome news for Voracek - maybe this is the kick in the pants he needed to find that next level.

Word coming out of Voorhees yesterday was that the Flyers have a tentative plan on what their line combinations will be to start camp. Of course, this is all subject to change quickly. There is usually a lot of experimenting, along with possible injury-forced or performance-related line changes between the start of training camp and the start of the regular season. Additionally, the Flyers do not currently have any professional tryout NHL veterans coming to camp. This may or may not change over the next week.

* Currently, it appears that the Flyers are leaning toward giving Brayden Schenn the first opportunity to win the left wing spot on the top line vacated by the off-season trade that sent Scott Hartnell to Columbus in exchange for R.J. Umberger. If so, Schenn would to start the preseason on a line with team captain Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

* Another interesting potential line combination to start camp may feature Wayne Simmonds as the third member of the Sean Couturier and Matt Read line; essentially making the Couturier line the Flyers' offensive "second line" at even strength although Couturier and Read will still be expected to do a lot of defensive heavy lifting against other team's top lines. Basically, the hope here appears to be that the line will make other teams work harder in their own zone.

* As of now, it appears that Vincent Lecavalier's linemates to start camp will be R.J. Umberger and rookie Jason Akeson. The Flyers' organization has made no secret of its desire to add another playmaking forward. Akeson has shown that ability at the American Hockey League level and has fared well in his two NHL regular season games and seven playoff games to date. Umberger would be counted upon to provide a two-way conscience to the line.

* The fourth line is very much up for grabs. Michael Raffl will have a spot, and so will Zac Rinaldo. Raffl could either play wing or center, depending on rookie Scott Laughton's performance at camp and the preseason. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare will get a long look on this line as well, and either he or Raffl could also be moved to another line depending on the circumstance. For instance, if Akeson struggles or if there is an injury, there could be a spot for Raffl or Bellemare to get a look in the top nine. 

That could be interesting to watch if the line combos can build any chemistry.

Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Simmonds/Couturier/Read
Umberger/Lecavalier/Akeson
Rinaldo/Raffl/Bellemare/Laughton/Powe

On paper, I like the balance that these lines have. Coots and Read have a winger who can help them unlock their offensive game more, and Lecavalier has an offense-minded wing and a defensively-responsible wing.

The fourth line is really a crapshoot at this point.

Man, can't wait for this thing to get started!!

I hope Laughton starts the season in Lehigh Valley. Let him go there and play 18 to 20 minutes a night in all situations. Let him continue to develop his offensive game while sharpening his defensive game. There's no sense in keeping him up if he's only going to get 10 to 12 minutes a game playing primarily with guys like Rinaldo. He's better served playing with more talented players, even if it's the AHL.

As for the lineup, I like how the three lines might turn out. I'm really interested in the third line of Umberger - Vinny - Akeson and think that they could actually surprise a few people with their offensive output.

I'm really interested in the third line of Umberger - Vinny - Akeson

I dunno. It looks like a motley crew if ever I saw one: a washed up former star, a former Flyer with not much pizazz to his game, and a likely 'tweener . But I've been wrong before and they have to do something with Vinny so...

who was it (@aziz maybe?) that was saying "they don't just throw lines together randomly and hope something good might happen" - sure they don't!

A few very interesting pieces from Meltzer's piece this morning:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=62245#.VBLDeM6TOts.twitter

Awesome news for Voracek - maybe this is the kick in the pants he needed to find that next level.

That could be interesting to watch if the line combos can build any chemistry.

Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Simmonds/Couturier/Read
Umberger/Lecavalier/Akeson
Rinaldo/Raffl/Bellemare/Laughton/Powe

On paper, I like the balance that these lines have. Coots and Read have a winger who can help them unlock their offensive game more, and Lecavalier has an offense-minded wing and a defensively-responsible wing.

The fourth line is really a crapshoot at this point.

Man, can't wait for this thing to get started!!

Is this the year the Flyers don't actually waste a spot for an "enforcer" on the 4th line? That sounds like a fresh perspective Mr. Snider, say it ain't so.

In the immortal words of Terrell Owens, Jay Rosehill get your popcorn ready!! :D

I am excited to see how the Mr France Pierre honesty... watching some of the tape he can skate like the wind and the release on his shot is beautiful.   If he can adjust quickly to the North American game he could be a fit on the 1st line...   he looks promising but not sure how his game translates over to the North American style...

it's definitely the WTF? line --- not a scoring line not a shutdown line. But what else you can do with VLC? He won't produce points on the wing, Giroux centers the top line so that leaves 2 spots for him.

What the hell maybe it'll work. Akeson created space for himself and his line in the POs and looked good. If RJ and Akeson click...and VLC wants respect, wants to relive some of his former glory he'll have to find ways to make that line work. I just can't figure out what the coaches will expect from that line.

Is it just me, or does the potential defensive pairings look like a train wreck ready to happen?  Soooo....you move McDonald away from Schenn....who looked great together...and pair McDonald with Coburn. THEN....inexplicably plan to pair Luke with Del Zotto????  WTF...this pairing should not last to long....what a mess that looks like!!

Is it just me, or does the potential defensive pairings look like a train wreck ready to happen?  Soooo....you move McDonald away from Schenn....who looked great together...and pair McDonald with Coburn. THEN....inexplicably plan to pair Luke with Del Zotto????  WTF...this pairing should not last to long....what a mess that looks like!!

Sam Morin just scored on nasty wrister from above left circle, beating Knapp.

Actually i think it's the only option.

Amac is more of a stay at home Dman and Coburn likes to play the right side, i'd imagine they are going to ask Coburn to jump up in the play more when the opportunity presents itself. Streit and GrossmanN played together last year and will be reunited.

That only leaves Luke to play with MDZ who only like to play on the left side and Luke is a righty.

Plus MDZ will bring the offense and Luke will be the stay at home type. On paper it makes sense camp is where you try to see if it can work.

Plus Amac has played upwards of 24+ minutes before not saying that is his strongest suit but who else is going to play a defensive role with Coburn??

The only other choice to me would be to try Streit.

I mean the options are limited.

What this tells me is that they're adamant on giving MacDonald top pairing minutes. We'll know soon enough if he is able to elevate his game to play that level.

I dunno. It looks like a motley crew if ever I saw one: a washed up former star, a former Flyer with not much pizazz to his game, and a likely 'tweener . But I've been wrong before and they have to do something with Vinny so...

who was it (@aziz maybe?) that was saying "they don't just throw lines together randomly and hope something good might happen" - sure they don't!

This line should be immediately removed from the lineup card. Vinny and Umberger together is a disaster IMO

Here are my notes:

Sam Morin (11th overall in 2013) - Playing the left side. Wrist shot was blistering. Game-speed is really good.

Shane Gostisbehere (78th overall in 2012) - Skated great. Pro speed. Puck handling solid. Still fancy at times but more slick than showy. Very confident.

Anthony Stolarz (45th overall in 2012)- 6-6, 210 - Anticipated well. Fast post to post. Looks very solid. Very confident. Good with the stick. Really stops the far low corners now.

Travis Sanheim (17th overall in 2014) - Skated better than last camp. Covered his side well. Passed well. More confident. Shot accuracy isn't great.

Nick Cousins (68th overall in 2011) - Skated really well. Faster release on his shot than I remember.

Scott Laughton - Strong pursuit. Shot accuracy could be better.

Robert Hagg (41st overall in 2013) - Skating well. Handling the puck well. Much steadier with the puck. I think his turnovers will be greatly diminished in North America. Can overskate the puck.

Taylor Leier (117th overall in 2012) - Fast, sturdy, confident fast skater. Top liner this year in Lehigh.

http://www.sportsology.info/content/2014-flyers-rookie-camp-players-trying-learn-and-improve

enjoy..........

Here are my notes:

Sam Morin (11th overall in 2013) - Playing the left side. Wrist shot was blistering. Game-speed is really good.

Shane Gostisbehere (78th overall in 2012) - Skated great. Pro speed. Puck handling solid. Still fancy at times but more slick than showy. Very confident.

Anthony Stolarz (45th overall in 2012)- 6-6, 210 - Anticipated well. Fast post to post. Looks very solid. Very confident. Good with the stick. Really stops the far low corners now.

Travis Sanheim (17th overall in 2014) - Skated better than last camp. Covered his side well. Passed well. More confident. Shot accuracy isn't great.

Nick Cousins (68th overall in 2011) - Skated really well. Faster release on his shot than I remember.

Scott Laughton - Strong pursuit. Shot accuracy could be better.

Robert Hagg (41st overall in 2013) - Skating well. Handling the puck well. Much steadier with the puck. I think his turnovers will be greatly diminished in North America. Can overskate the puck.

Taylor Leier (117th overall in 2012) - Fast, sturdy, confident fast skater. Top liner this year in Lehigh.

http://www.sportsology.info/content/2014-flyers-rookie-camp-players-trying-learn-and-improve

enjoy..........

Thanks For the update OC. Still on vacation so my hockey news is limited. Will post more when I is get back home.

@OccamsRazor  I watched a few Phantoms games on my new hockeystreams.net account. The one thing that stuck out...loud and clear....was how fast Alt was. I've always been a big advocate of Laurisden over Alt...and I can no longer in good conscience say that.  Alt was VERY mobile, very strong on the puck...he looked better than a lot of our d-men attacking the puck and battling for possession. I was REALLY impressed with him.

@OccamsRazor  It was Alt and Booooossscchhh for er, um...Luke Pither....LMAO!!  What highway robbery of epic proportions!!  Just the fact that Bouch played a few games and Alt looks as good as he does make it a wickedly good trade, cause Pither will never sniff the NHL.

Archived