Flyers waive Akeson

brelic

Flyers put Akeson on waivers today. Guess that means Vandevelde will get the call when needed.

Also, Dreger believes Hextall will be very active in the trade market for defensemen, and if Brayden Schenn is used, it will not be to bring back a forward (as some other pundits had commented).

This means Laughton should stay with the Flyers.  Which is the RIGHT decision as Laughton provides more value to the team than Akeson and yet we all knew that in September.  

Yet I kind of wonder if Raffl hadn't gotten injured and the Flyers weren't on their heels to catch up in the standings, would Laughton have been given a chance to stay on the team?

Yet I kind of wonder if Raffl hadn't gotten injured and the Flyers weren't on their heels to catch up in the standings, would Laughton have been given a chance to stay on the team?

Good point. I would guess probably not, at least not at this point. Laughton may very well have made it impossible to ignore him. 

It seems like Berube is perfectly ok playing VLC on the 4th line, which is good news for Laughton (and the Flyers!)

Flyers put Akeson on waivers today. Guess that means Vandevelde will get the call when needed.

Also, Dreger believes Hextall will be very active in the trade market for defensemen, and if Brayden Schenn is used, it will not be to bring back a forward (as some other pundits had commented).

Schenn's cap hit is 1.75M, The Flyers are up against the cap. I am not sure what kind of return we could get that would fit in under our cap, and justify trading Schenn? He is starting to show life and the potential of being a very good forward. If there is a deal in the works, I suspect that it would involve other players and  have too move off some of our cap burden.

I don't see the Flyers being a major player unless Vinny and or Umberger is moved. If Hextall trades both Umberger and Vinny, I give him a 5 year extension. If he trades both with no money being involved, I'll extend him 20 years

@FD19372   This is a rather odd move. There was an outside chance he could have developed into a useful piece. Why just waive him?  Did they have to waive him to send him down or something....this makes no sense.

I liked his poise and patience with the puck. That kinda stuff usually means the kid is worth investing time and money in.

Not sure but I think they do have to put him on waivers to return him to the Phantoms. Personally I think he has limited upside. He's got some nice offensive instincts but he's small AND slow- not a good combination if you want an NHL career.

@JackStraw  Yeah, there is just a slim chance he could actually make an impact at the NHL level. If he had better wheels he'd have a much better shot. Still, when I see poise, I take notice, worth investigating type of thing. At the very worst, he scores a ton of goals at the AHL level and helps develop a winning culture on the Phantoms. I can think of worse things. At best, he comes up from the A as an injury replacement and adds some offensive flair to the bottom six.

Should have waived RJ could have got 925K of salary cap relief

Someone take a hubcap to his knee. I'm through with his ****. I can tolerate losing if there is promise going forward, but not a lack of effort.

Also, LTIR gives you his full salary in replacement cap space.

@JackStraw  Yeah, there is just a slim chance he could actually make an impact at the NHL level. If he had better wheels he'd have a much better shot. Still, when I see poise, I take notice, worth investigating type of thing. At the very worst, he scores a ton of goals at the AHL level and helps develop a winning culture on the Phantoms. I can think of worse things. At best, he comes up from the A as an injury replacement and adds some offensive flair to the bottom six.

i don't know what player you are talking about but the Akeson that I saw in Philly had no offensive flair, nor did he score a "ton of goals" in the A, nor did he contribute to the Phantoms winning culture.

i don't know what player you are talking about but the Akeson that I saw in Philly had no offensive flair, nor did he score a "ton of goals" in the A, nor did he contribute to the Phantoms winning culture.

Akeson's stats with the Phantoms are pretty impressive imho and I liked what I saw when he came up last year in the POs. The Flyers were hurting for offense, he came in and provided a huge spark, scoring 2 big goals. He looked like he belonged. This year Berube didn't play him on a scoring line (maybe 1 game on the 2nd line?), not sure why not. I don't think it's a stretch to believe he can work on his skating, get faster, stronger; it's a lot harder to teach what Akeson already has, the on-ice vision to see lanes, seams and the ability to score.

Jason AkesonRight WingBorn Jun 3 1990  -- Orleans, ONT Height 5.10 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots R                                            --- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2006-07  Cumberland Grads            CJHL   54   17   36   53   402007-08  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    13    0    2    2    4  16   0   1   1   02007-08  Cumberland Grads            CJHL   34   18   43   61   142008-09  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    56   20   44   64   16  --  --  --  --  --2009-10  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    65   24   56   80   24  20   8  11  19  142010-11  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    67   24   84  108   23   7   3   6   9   02011-12  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    76   14   41   55   26  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL     1    1    0    1    0  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Trenton Titans              ECHL   14    2    8   10    7  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    62   20   33   53   27  --  --  --  --  --2013-14  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL     1    0    1    1    0   7   2   1   3   42013-14  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    70   24   40   64   42  --  --  --  --  --2014-15  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL    12    0    0    0    62014-15  Lehigh Valley Phantoms      AHL     1    0    0    0    0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------         NHL Totals                         14    1    1    2    6   7   2   1   3   4

Akeson's stats with the Phantoms are pretty impressive imho and I liked what I saw when he came up last year in the POs. The Flyers were hurting for offense, he came in and provided a huge spark, scoring 2 big goals. He looked like he belonged. This year Berube didn't play him on a scoring line (maybe 1 game on the 2nd line?), not sure why not. I don't think it's a stretch to believe he can work on his skating, get faster, stronger; it's a lot harder to teach what Akeson already has, the on-ice vision to see lanes, seams and the ability to score.

Jason AkesonRight WingBorn Jun 3 1990  -- Orleans, ONT Height 5.10 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots R                                            --- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2006-07  Cumberland Grads            CJHL   54   17   36   53   402007-08  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    13    0    2    2    4  16   0   1   1   02007-08  Cumberland Grads            CJHL   34   18   43   61   142008-09  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    56   20   44   64   16  --  --  --  --  --2009-10  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    65   24   56   80   24  20   8  11  19  142010-11  Kitchener Rangers           OHL    67   24   84  108   23   7   3   6   9   02011-12  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    76   14   41   55   26  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL     1    1    0    1    0  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Trenton Titans              ECHL   14    2    8   10    7  --  --  --  --  --2012-13  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    62   20   33   53   27  --  --  --  --  --2013-14  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL     1    0    1    1    0   7   2   1   3   42013-14  Adirondack Phantoms         AHL    70   24   40   64   42  --  --  --  --  --2014-15  Philadelphia Flyers         NHL    12    0    0    0    62014-15  Lehigh Valley Phantoms      AHL     1    0    0    0    0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------         NHL Totals                         14    1    1    2    6   7   2   1   3   4

Great point he isn't the savior (and i don't think anyone is claiming him to be) but he was the least of their worries with RJ and Vinny in the lineup.

He should have been kept in the lineup on the 4th at least and scratched RJ and Vinny.

Ya this is supposedly a transition year - next year too most likely - why not give guys like Akeson and Laughton some bigger minutes and put RJ and VLC on the 4th line? I realize that kills what was a strong 4th line but 20+ games and those 2 guys aren't even sniffing the net. It's a joke how little they're contributing.

Easiest thing is to fire Berube, bring in ... who? I'd like to wait and see if Snider / Hextall can lure Mike Babcock to Philadelphia. Would he coach the Flyers for the right price...?

Easiest thing is to fire Berube, bring in ... who? I'd like to wait and see if Snider / Hextall can lure Mike Babcock to Philadelphia. Would he coach the Flyers for the right price...?

Give Babber 10 mill a year and call it a day. If the Leafs offer 10, give him 11 etc, etc. That is a mere drop in the bucket for Comcast. Let's make their cash work for us, it's really the only way to use Comcast's outrageous money work for the team. Throw some HARD cash Babber's way!!

Give Babber 10 mill a year and call it a day. If the Leafs offer 10, give him 11 etc, etc. That is a mere drop in the bucket for Comcast. Let's make their cash work for us, it's really the only way to use Comcast's outrageous money work for the team. Throw some HARD cash Babber's way!!

Can't help but comment on the irony of Babcock's value at a time of advanced analytics trendiness (which I think history will show is much ado about nothing, actually). 'Cause his "system" is: "get the puck and keep it."

It's obviously a bit more than that - "get the puck, support the puck, keep the puck, put the puck in the net."

I can't see Babcock coming here. It seems like he'll be going to the Leafs (or staying in Det).

Archived