crosby

King Knut

I mean seriously, why did they even pretend like he didn't have the mumps?

How did that serve anyone?

And frankly, if that wasn't the mumps, then there was something probably way worse with him!

It was either mumps or the worst Botox treatment ever given.

Why the **** don't people get MMR immunizations?

I always ask the same question.  In fairness, some of these players may actually have had the immunizations.  The MMR is only 88% effective, so it is possible to get anyway.  But it's the increasing number of people who don't who are making things a bit more dangerous for that 12% for whom it isn't effective.  And there is some signs that the 88% are becoming at risk, as well.  Well done, Jennifer McCarthy.

I always ask the same question. In fairness, some of these players may actually have had the immunizations. The MMR is only 88% effective, so it is possible to get anyway. But it's the increasing number of people who don't who are making things a bit more dangerous for that 12% for whom it isn't effective. And there is some signs that the 88% are becoming at risk, as well. Well done, Jennifer McCarthy.

Impressive blame game. You're probably right too.

I always ask the same question. In fairness, some of these players may actually have had the immunizations. The MMR is only 88% effective, so it is possible to get anyway. But it's the increasing number of people who don't who are making things a bit more dangerous for that 12% for whom it isn't effective. And there is some signs that the 88% are becoming at risk, as well. Well done, Jennifer McCarthy.

It might be that some of these players missed their MMR booster. Also, when there was a mumps outbreak in BC last year, done public health officials were speculating that an additional booster shot may be necessary.

It might be that some of these players missed their MMR booster. Also, when there was a mumps outbreak in BC last year, done public health officials were speculating that an additional booster shot may be necessary.

It seems that may end up being the case.

Wait, so let me get this straight....

Whenever Crosby crosschecks, hooks, or trips another player, it isn't really a penalty...unless the other team's captain, assistant captain or bench complains vehemently enough about it....THEN it might be...

And if Crosby has a communicable condition, it isn't really either, unless it can no longer be hidden and spun any other way, THEN it might be.......right?

Allllllrighty then.... ;):ph34r:

Should clear it up...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24887392/why-was-sidney-crosby-allowed-to-practice-with-mumps-symptoms

In a nutshell, 2 weeks of tests kept coming back negative. Add an injury to the swollen area and....poof! No mumps diagnosis.

According to Vyas, the team had reason to believe that a neck injury Crosby sustained in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes two weeks prior and a series of negative tests for the mumps made diagnosis more difficult.

"At the Carolina game, Sidney sustained an injury to the right side of his neck. At that time, he injured the submandibular, or salivary gland, on his neck," Vyas explained. "We came back to Pittsburgh, we tested him, including a CT scan, which showed the injury. Also, just to be safe, we tested him for mumps at that time and all the blood tests came as negative. We continued to follow that. He was on medications to bring the swelling down to let the injury resolve and once the medications were stopped, he developed swelling just next to that area."

Vyas said that the prior injury "confuses the picture" since Crosby had already dealt with swelling. Additionally, Crosby had shown no other symptoms of the disease like a fever or chills.

The team sent bloodwork to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Friday afternoon for a more sophisticated test and held Crosby out of Friday and Saturday's games while awaiting the results, which ended up coming back positive. Crosby has since been in isolation.

Why the **** don't people get MMR immunizations?

I recall reading - specifically - that Crosby was immunized.  I can't find the link but I could have sworn it said all NHL players get multiple immunizations prior to the start of each season.  These guys get the best of the best when it comes to physicals.  Heck, they found Maatta's thyroid cancer.

As for immuniziations, save room on your soap box for me.  ;)

Wait, so let me get this straight....

Whenever Crosby crosschecks, hooks, or trips another player, it isn't really a penalty...unless the other team's captain, assistant captain or bench complains vehemently enough about it....THEN it might be...

And if Crosby has a communicable condition, it isn't really either, unless it can no longer be hidden and spun any other way, THEN it might be.......right?

Allllllrighty then.... ;):ph34r:

So let me get this straight...

You even found a way to whine about Crosby when he's the one sick... Allllllrighty then.... ;)

Should clear it up...

Well B21, you finally did it! You got me to agree with a Pens fan!  :unsure[1]: The mumps tests are not accurate for the 1st week or so, the mumps almost never effect just one side and he had no other symptoms as well, he sustained an injury to that side of the neck. If it was mumps it was one strange case since most are saying it nearly crippled them, some going into the hospital yet Crosby had no ill effects of it? Just my 2 cents with no way to prove it but I don't think it was the mumps.

And frankly, if that wasn't the mumps, then there was something probably way worse with him!

Or water retention from cramps and PMS  :rolleyes:

Well B21, you finally did it! You got me to agree with a Pens fan!  :unsure[1]: The mumps tests are not accurate for the 1st week or so, the mumps almost never effect just one side and he had no other symptoms as well, he sustained an injury to that side of the neck. If it was mumps it was one strange case since most are saying it nearly crippled them, some going into the hospital yet Crosby had no ill effects of it? Just my 2 cents with no way to prove it but I don't think it was the mumps.

See - was that so bad? ;)

What is scary about this whole thing is that now Beau Bennett has it (of course Beau, right?) and he was with several other Pens for their annual Christmas visit to UPMC Children's Hospital.  Not good. 

And now Fleury maybe??

Came back negative, thank god.

Also in an interview, Sid said his face wasn't nearly that bad as it was when he did that post-practice interview. But I'm sure he was still feeling pretty lousy which makes me wonder why he was allowed to participate in practice. And I knew it was only a matter of time the Pens would come in contact with some virus as a result of visiting the children's hospital..it's a good deed but how about they send them apparell and signed memorabilia next time

Here's Crosby's first interview since he's out of the mumps box. Couple of interesting point but the main on was that he had little or no swelling prior to the practice after which that picture was taken, and afterwards that what he looked like

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7379973-74/crosby-mumps-penguins#axzz3MHdBVhzB

Archived