Is Giroux here next year?

activestick

Everybody is up for grabs in my mind as longs it makes us a hell of lot better!!!!!!! 8million is way to much for anyone! Love G but he has p me off with off season dumbness. Also same moves all the time which shocks me they work! So what would a trade look like for him?

If we had to throw in Coburn who Edmonton loves .It isn't a bad deal for them. Giroux , Schenn , Coburn , McDonald and either VLC or the hamburgler for McDavid and Nurse. They gain lots of experience and a number of players including a superstar in Giroux to go with their young guys . Giroux would be a big draw for them and they would get veteran defenseman they need

Greetings:

I don't think they would trade him but the reasoning may be symbolic as much as substantive. He is the "heart" of this squad. . . . .not that this means much. It would be tacit admission that this whole group is pretty much a disaster with a handful of exceptions.

Peace,

Howie

Being the heart of this team is like being the ethics director for the New England Patriots

Giroux , Schenn , Coburn , McDonald and either VLC or the hamburgler for McDavid and Nurse.

That's a bit more than originally proposed and may be cloee to what it would take.

Edmonton takes on a lot of salary there.

If McDavid is who they say he is and if we can have four young defensemen pan out from our own system at the same time, i think that's a serious opportunity.

If...

Let me know where he's going, because I'm going there too (fandom wise).

I've really had it with this organization.  Any sane person would have given up on this team a long time ago.

But hockey fans aren't likely to be considered sane in most non hockey circles.

But trading Giroux, while it might be the best and nicest thing this organization has ever done for a player in his prime since they send Mike Richards to an immediate Cup Winner, would probably be the thing that breaks this camel's back.

NOW with that out of the way, here is the ONLY scenario in which I could concievably see that happening and me not giving up on the team:

1)  The Flyers are guaranteed one of the top two picks in this year's draft.

2)  They trade him to Nashville for Weber and Forsberg

or Weber and Jones

or Jones, Forsberg and their first round pick.

Now I know I know, Giroux for Weber alone is probably a fair trade, but I don't want a fair trade.  I want to win something for a change.

Or traded for a high 1st rounder (possibly +)?

While I would love to see Weber, the trade would have to be for either high picks or blue chip prospects or a mix of both.  Trading him for a veteran doesn't work. 

Think of it this way, Giroux is the Cole Hamels of the Flyers.

While I would love to see Weber, the trade would have to be for either high picks or blue chip prospects or a mix of both.  Trading him for a veteran doesn't work. 

Think of it this way, Giroux is the Cole Hamels of the Flyers.

Giroux is one of the top 5 players in the game today, arguably top 3.   Hamels is not even a top 5 pitcher in MLB.  Not to mention you are comparing Giroux to player in another sport who plays once every 5 days.  Also the Flyers are a young team with a young core.   The Phillies are an old team with an aging core.  Giroux is just in the early stages of his prime.   Given that his production largely doesn't rely on a ton of explosive power and blinding speed he is going to be a highly productive player well into his young to mid 30's so long as he stays healthy.   Much of Giroux's skills are just pure natural talent with his vision and passing ability that aren't going away anytime soon.   I agree there are holes to be filled on D and rounding out the top 9 forwards but the Flyers are in a much better position than the Phillies.   The Phillies are 5-10 years from being relevant again.   The Flyers with the right moves are maybe 2 years away from being relevant and 3-4 years away from potentially being contenders. 

That's a bit more than originally proposed and may be cloee to what it would take.

Edmonton takes on a lot of salary there.

If McDavid is who they say he is and if we can have four young defensemen pan out from our own system at the same time, i think that's a serious opportunity.

If...

"a lot of salary"...the salaries being brought in from philly would probably be worth well over half of their current roster!  Around 26 million or so in one trade??  Craziness 

(but yes activestick.... I'd really consider trading Giroux for McDavid/prospect/1st rounder)

Not that we'd "win" that deal right off the bat.... but by the time Hextall figures out how to fix this roster, Giroux's gonna be collecting a pension.

Would you really trade Giroux for a shot at McDavid?

I asked this question on two different threads last week. Not this specific question, but more along the lines of what would you give up for a shot at him. I asked if wondering if anyone would say Giroux.

You mean for Mcdavid? Like I said I'd consider it.  Taking the best prospect to come along since Crosby to go along with a roster that will likely peak when Claude is starting to slide, along with freeing up a lot of money for the next 3 years isn't so bad of a move. Will Mcdavid be as good as Giroux? Maybe. He might be better. I doubt he's going to be anything short of great.

And you wonder why I say you put too much stock on prospects at the expense of logic/other assets (usually proven)?

I'd really consider trading Giroux for McDavid/prospect/1st rounder

Heck, I'd "consider" that absolutely.

Of course, IMO, Edmonton would need to be absolutely brain dead to make that deal.

Giroux PLUS 1st for McDavid PLUS 1st (essentially swapping 1sts and getting McD for G) might be worthwhile, but I'm not sure I (personally) go there.

Tempting as it may be, Edmonton would have to be insane to make that trade.  They're not a Giroux away from anything.  They're a McDavid and Nurse and a bunch of other guys and 5 years of development on them all away from contention.

The Flyers on the other hand are merely...  um...   oh crap.  We're nowhere near contention either are we?

Now that I think about it though, that deal would put the Flyers near the league minimum salary cap wise...  We're talking about losing 20 million in salary!    Who knows what could be done with that in this day and age of 17 year contracts and absoutely NO ONE of value being a free agent any more.

I would seriously have to consider that trade as well...

We haven't "won" a trade in a long time. 

We keep making trades that one can't say one won or lost for years and years to come apparently.

It's tempting now to say we "won" the carter trade.  That I feel safe in saying, but only insofar as it had to do with Columbus.  Columbus got hosed on both ends of Carter being in town.

Not that we'd "win" that deal right off the bat.... but by the time Hextall figures out how to fix this roster, Giroux's gonna be collecting a pension.

Giroux has a lot more good years left in the tank than Hamels does I'll wager.

That said, the only real reason I'd want weber (though you're right, we'd have him for all the soft crappy years of his absurd contract that Homer made reality) is to have SOME sort of positive leadership influence and example for the young D corps coming up.  Grossman and Schultz don't cut it for me as far as I'm concerned.  I want them learning from better.

hink of it this way, Giroux is the Cole Hamels of the Flyers.

Archived