Flyers will not be "Buyers"...No Trades Coming per Hextall

AlaskaFlyerFan

If it is a quiet day you know that Hextall is really overvaluing our players or everyone else thinks are team is filled with stiffs.  Either way it is not good...

One of the difficulties may be that both Coburn and Grossman have one more year on their deals after this one. So they may be more tradeable off-season or at the deadline next year. I could definitely see a scenario where next season's roster (d in particular) looks a lot like this season's at the start. With Hagg, Ghost, Morin, Alt on the Phantoms. Then pre-deadline deal(s) to move one or two defensemen to make room for one or two young guys. It might actually be the smart thing to do since I don't really expect any of the prospects to be ready at the start of next year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the difficulties may be that both Coburn and Grossman have one more year on their deals after this one. So they may be more tradeable off-season or at the deadline next year. I could definitely see a scenario where next season's roster (d in particular) looks a lot like this season's at the start. With Hagg, Ghost, Morin, Alt on the Phantoms. Then pre-deadline deal(s) to move one or two defensemen to make room for one or two young guys. It might actually be the smart thing to do since I don't really expect any of the prospects to be ready at the start of next year.

You're prolly right (it pains me to say that), although I still think Coburn is very moveable this year. 

I am afraid you are onto something there Jack...  

I am a full believer that as we approach the deadline things will remain quiet on the Flyers front.   Another potential year of this defensive group is really going to try my patience but there is always hope... for now we are stuck in the world of mediocrity!  Yay Flyers...   :ph34r:

I am afraid you are onto something there Jack...  

I am a full believer that as we approach the deadline things will remain quiet on the Flyers front.   Another potential year of this defensive group is really going to try my patience but there is always hope... for now we are stuck in the world of mediocrity!  Yay Flyers...   :ph34r:

Yes, I think it will quite possibly be basically the same roster next year. Not much will change up front - maybe one or two changes. I see Umberger as a buy out candidate, and that's it, really.Replace him next year with a guy like Leier or Laughton.

On defense, even if we get rid of three defensemen (Coburn, Grossmann, Timonen), there's not much room back there. You're left with MDZ, Schultz, Schenn, Streit, and MacDonald. That leaves one spot for a youngin', and even then, it sounds like Hextall would rather have a depth guy like Cola than rush any of the kids. In fact, I'd have no problem re-signing Colaiacovo if none of the kids make it and no consideration is given to the 'older' prospects like Manning and Alt.

I think Grossmann and Coburn are both very moveable at the deadline. For all everyone poo-poos Grossmann, he's still second in +/- on the team, with a +5 on a team with a -14 goal differential. Coburn has shown that he can be an effective defenseman in the past. They may not fetch you a ton, but they'll be moveable. If all else fails, the Flyers can retain salary to move one out or get more in the deal.

I think Schultz will be shipped if he doesn't re-sign for a reasonable number. Coliaccovo might as well, though he hasn't played enough to really fetch much of anything.

As stated by all, the Flyers will try to unload some dmen and any of them can be had for a fair market value . To me, the guys who will get us the most back are Coburn, Streit, Grossman and then Timmo in that order. Obviously we need to hang on to some of our dmen for next season to work with some of the young guys coming up. So the keepers are Schultz, Del Z, Schenn and Mc D. Since there is no way anyone is taking McD off our hands we are stuck with him . I dont see anyone knocking down the door for Schenn, Schultz has been solid and Del Z looks real good,so I dont see them going anywhere. Since  no one in their right mind will take  Mc D, VLC or Hamburgler, the only movable big long term contract is Streit, even though hes probably our best guy at this point, his value will never be higher due to the solid season he is having. So to free up some substantial long term $$ he may have to go.

The only other move that could happen is one of our centers.. B Schenn, Coots or Laughton for a young defenseman with a few years NHL experience who has equal potential , so maybe there is a 2-3 year NHL dman who is up and coming who is a potential # 2 or 3 guy. I dont know if we can go 2-3 more years with a defense full of third pairing guys while we wait for our young guys.

He should want to. He's played most of the year like he needs a change of scenery. So give him one. I'd take a 2nd and a 4th for him

Mcturd netted a 2nd and 3rd so Coburn should earn as much...if i had to chose between the 2 i take Coburn all day...so it sucks they are stuck with Mcturd.

Unfortunately, Hextall is trying to play 5 card face up stud. He has very little to work with and almost no leverage. Bad contracts, no 2 or 3 in this draft, very little in the prospect cupboard. Not very many valuable pieces on the big club. Unless Hexy can pull off some old fashioned Sam Pollock type trades the Flyers are nowhere close to competing for a Cup. Hopefully he throws the old Flyer loyalty out the window and gets whatever little piece he can for anything on this roster, if for no other reason but to show the current players that the culture and identity of the team WILL change, because right now the Flyers have no identity and are very easy to play against.

The accountability is terrible on this team. It can be really simplified to lack of listening and doing skills. Coach says do "this", you do "it". No more self interpretation routines. If your on D stay in YOUR zone, don't cover for your team mate, if your partner keeps screwing up then you bench/trade him. No more "I" in team. Just stick to the coaches program, if that fails, get rid of the coach. No more touchy feely team. Go OUT THERE AND DO YOUR DAM JOB, OR YOUR OUTTA HERE! ENOUGH OF THIS PU$$Y FOOTING AROUND. I call buLLSh1t.

You're only saying that because 16 guys are still signed through next season... And Schultz, MDZ, Bellemare and White aren't among them.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that there will be some roster shakeup, whether at the deadline or in the offseason.

The idea of being in the bottom half of the league and being a "playoff" team doesn't give me the warm fuzzies if they just reload this same roster.

No matter how much "anything can happen"

Huh?

I'm saying it because he's not selling and he should be. They're giving us this "playoffs" crap instead of moving anyone who is even slightly appealing. Streit, for example, should be moved now, not in the off season. His value is high now, not in the off season.

Huh?

I'm saying it because he's not selling and he should be. They're giving us this "playoffs" crap instead of moving anyone who is even slightly appealing. Streit, for example, should be moved now, not in the off season. His value is high now, not in the off season.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Nothing would change if they don't make any moves because all of the problems that are here this year are signed for next year.

#homercoaster

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Nothing would change if they don't make any moves because all of the problems that are here this year are signed for next year.

#homercoaster

I think that's all the more reason you have to get rid of the guys you actually can get rid of. VLC ain't going anywhere and it's very unlikely anyone really wants Umberger, but he's not as hard to move as Vinny. But the other guys that you can move, you have to move. And you're right, it can happen in the off season. It's just that with it being close to the playoffs, value might be higher now, particularly with Streit. You could get a little more for Coburn or Grossman now, but the difference would probably be negligible. But Streit's value decreases with each passing season. His value will literally never be higher ever again.

I think that's all the more reason you have to get rid of the guys you actually can get rid of. VLC ain't going anywhere and it's very unlikely anyone really wants Umberger, but he's not as hard to move as Vinny. But the other guys that you can move, you have to move. And you're right, it can happen in the off season. It's just that with it being close to the playoffs, value might be higher now, particularly with Streit. You could get a little more for Coburn or Grossman now, but the difference would probably be negligible. But Streit's value decreases with each passing season. His value will literally never be higher ever again.

I would move Streit in a heartbeat.

I don't think the "ZOMG - 7 points out of a playoff spot - anything can happen!!!!!!!!!" Flyers will, though.

The only chance to really move a Umburglar or VLC is to retain salary, which I would do up to the point that it costs less to buy them out.

If I'm GM, Umburglar's getting bought out this summer if I can't move him under those terms.

Of course, if I was GM... :D

I would move Streit in a heartbeat.

I don't think the "ZOMG - 7 points out of a playoff spot - anything can happen!!!!!!!!!" Flyers will, though.

The only chance to really move a Umburglar or VLC is to retain salary, which I would do up to the point that it costs less to buy them out.

If I'm GM, Umburglar's getting bought out this summer if I can't move him under those terms.

Of course, if I was GM... :D

So would I, but I agree with you. I started off in this thread saying I'm glad they won't be buyers. I get and respect that. It's the right decision. But their recent mindset makes it seem like moving him (anyone really) is unlikely and frankly I don't even comprehend it. Given his age, the age of the defensive prospects who haven't even made the team yet, his current talent level, and salary, trading him seems pretty obvious to me. His value is as a bargaining chip for the future, not as a mentor for kids not even on the roster yet. If he was a couple years younger, then yeah I think about holding onto him.

I'd definitely be willing to eat salary to move both although you'd probably have to pay about 95% of VLC's pay for anyone to take a chance on him.

His value is as a bargaining chip for the future, not as a mentor for kids not even on the roster yet.

His biggest strength is on the PP, and I think MDZ could work himself into that role. He's the obvious candidate.

Archived