Flyers will not be "Buyers"...No Trades Coming per Hextall

AlaskaFlyerFan

Hextall-Flyers.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/flyers-gm-won-t-make-deadline-deals-for-playoff-push-234529943.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Flyers GM won’t make deadline deals for playoff push

The Philadelphia Flyers sit at 58 points in the Eastern Conference in 56 games, which is a not-all-that-unreasonable distance from the Boston Bruins (55 games, 63 points) for the last wild card.

So here we go, right? The big deal that gets the Flyers into the postseason? The Ed Snider-approved trade that shakes up the East?

Yeah … not so much.

"We're not gonna make a deal to try to put us in the playoffs," GM Ron Hextall told the Courier Post. "I believe we can make the playoffs with this team right now and quite frankly, to add a piece right now that's gonna help us that's gonna be better than what we have is gonna be very costly. We're not going there."

So it’s not so much that he doesn’t think that the Flyers can’t make the postseason, it’s that the deadline prices are too high and Philadelphia has a decent collection of young assets with whom they don’t want to part for a temporary fix.

This frugality has been a hallmark even under Paul Holmgren; how many times has Sean Couturier been “traded” in the last three years?

"Look at the history of the deadline: it's a pricy time," Hextall told Dave Isaacs. "To get something better than what we have, we're giving a lot up. That's not gonna happen. We know where we're headed and we're still headed there. I'm not deferring of course of where we set out last summer."

Does that mean the Flyers won’t deal away any of their veteran cap bloat?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hextall-Flyers.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/flyers-gm-won-t-make-deadline-deals-for-playoff-push-234529943.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Flyers GM won’t make deadline deals for playoff push...

Does that mean the Flyers won’t deal away any of their veteran cap bloat?

No, I think it's actually code for saying they will do exactly that.

No sense making trades to help this team for a deep playoff run they're most likely not going to make right now. I doubt seriously, however, that Hextall won't try very hard to sell at least one of his several overpriced veterans for youth. Hopefully, they keep ol' Eddie on sedatives through the trade deadline so they don't sign another 35 year old with nothing left in the tank.

@Podein25

@flyerrod

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Ah, you speak fluent Homer?

Translated from the words of Yoda...

"Going to make a deal to try to put us in the playoffs we are not....To get something better than what we have, giving a lot up, we are.  Going to happen that is not.  Headed and we are still headed there we we know where are.  I am deferring of course of where we set out last summer not."

Deal away any of their veteran cap bloat does that mean the flyers will not, hmm?  Yes, hmmm.

:) :)

I should certainly hope they are not "buyers" at the deadline. Don't think Hexy is anywhere close to that stupid. Nothing says unemployment like giving up a 1st rounder for a marginal 3rd liner, so Ray friggin Emery will have more goal support....lol.

I should certainly hope they are not "buyers" at the deadline. Don't think Hexy is anywhere close to that stupid. Nothing says unemployment like giving up a 1st rounder for a marginal 3rd liner, so Ray friggin Emery will have more goal support....lol.

And yet Holmgren still has a job.

And yet Holmgren still has a job.

Clearly, this is where sports differ from the rest of a professional world.  I can't imagine in any other profession someone as incompetent as Homer who basically ran the team to the point where it's an unmitigated mess and nothing really can be done to improve it (other than blowing everything up) would be able to land a job anywhere else.  But then again, when you deal with The Old Man, you are entering a different world which defies logic and any common sense.

Clearly, this is where sports differ from the rest of a professional world. I can't imagine in any other profession someone as incompetent as Homer who basically ran the team to the point where it's an unmitigated mess and nothing really can be done to improve it (other than blowing everything up) would be able to land a job anywhere else. But then again, when you deal with The Old Man, you are entering a different world which defies logic and any common sense.

Amazing isn't it. Seriously you are spot on.

Amazing isn't it. Seriously you are spot on.

And I realize that these guys are sort of in a different universe.  Many of them - if not ALL of them - are former hockey players.  Most of them don't even have an education.  But professionalism is still professionalism.  Can you imagine if you misdiagnoze or mistreat one patient after another?  Or if I make some serious and multiple errors in engineering design?  I bet not only we will lose our jobs with our current respective employers, but finding another job with this kind of a resume woudl be next to the impossible. But these guys seem to be immune to any consequences. 

Clearly, this is where sports differ from the rest of a professional world. I can't imagine in any other profession someone as incompetent as Homer who basically ran the team to the point where it's an unmitigated mess and nothing really can be done to improve it (other than blowing everything up) would be able to land a job anywhere else. But then again, when you deal with The Old Man, you are entering a different world which defies logic and any common sense.

Ever deal with govt employees? You might find a few examples.

I agree...if anything lets just purge as much of the dead weight as they can...move as many bad contracts as you can and well that is it.

My sentiments exactly. We're not worried about the playoff push Hexy! How about the salary cap or roster limit push?! Pull that trigger!

1. I'm glad they won't be buyers.

2. I'm annoyed that it appears they won't be sellers either. If I was the GM, and especially because VLC is unmovable, I'm trading every piece not a part of the young core that is worth anything at all. Coburn, Streit, Grossman (if somebody wants him), and Timonen (if healthy) would all be traded if this guy's calling the shots.

Wasn't one of the conditions of Hextall taking the job was that he was given complete autonomy with regards to hockey decisions? If so, the old man might have to just keep his mouth shut and grin and bear it while Ron retools the incredibly broken roster he's inherited.

2. I'm annoyed that it appears they won't be sellers either. If I was the GM, and especially because VLC is unmovable, I'm trading every piece not a part of the young core that is worth anything at all. Coburn, Streit, Grossman (if somebody wants him), and Timonen (if healthy) would all be traded if this guy's calling the shots.

very good point and I have a bad feeling this deadline is going to be very quiet on the Flyers.  I am bracing myself for this roster to remain intact.  If it is a quiet day you know that Hextall is really overvaluing our players or everyone else thinks are team is filled with stiffs.  Either way it is not good...

I would trade anyone not name Jake, G, Simmer and Mason.  Everyone on the current roster is for sale and 90% of the players I would let go for the sake of cap relief.  As far as prospects go I would keep Morin, Sanheim, Gost and Hagg as untouchable.   I would even dangle Laughton if the price was right...

Wasn't one of the conditions of Hextall taking the job was that he was given complete autonomy with regards to hockey decisions? If so, the old man might have to just keep his mouth shut and grin and bear it while Ron retools the incredibly broken roster he's inherited.

That is what he (Hextall) may have been told, but keep in mind that not one GM has been able to stand-up to the guy that built the empire.

I would hope that 3/2 comes around and they are sellers. 

very good point and I have a bad feeling this deadline is going to be very quiet on the Flyers.  I am bracing myself for this roster to remain intact.  If it is a quiet day you know that Hextall is really overvaluing our players or everyone else thinks are team is filled with stiffs.  Either way it is not good...

I would trade anyone not name Jake, G, Simmer and Mason.  Everyone on the current roster is for sale and 90% of the players I would let go for the sake of cap relief.  As far as prospects go I would keep Morin, Sanheim, Gost and Hagg as untouchable.   I would even dangle Laughton if the price was right...

This "playoff push" is bothering me. I don't care about this season and he shouldn't either. It's good that they are on the bubble in the sense that it shows with a few pieces they might be a better team. However, you have to do something to get those pieces. Keeping this roster intact solves nothing. You're not going to get better by doing nothing. I wouldn't start over like you suggest, but f-cking do something. Streit serves no purpose to this team and his value is higher than it will ever be again!

You're not going to get better by doing nothing.

You're only saying that because 16 guys are still signed through next season... And Schultz, MDZ, Bellemare and White aren't among them.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that there will be some roster shakeup, whether at the deadline or in the offseason.

The idea of being in the bottom half of the league and being a "playoff" team doesn't give me the warm fuzzies if they just reload this same roster.

No matter how much "anything can happen"

Archived