Coburn to Tampa for picks and prospect

bullies

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who won this trade?

• Tampa Bay Lightning
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Philadelphia Flyers Fans
    • Brayden Coburn
    • Everyone wins and there is much rejoicing along the East Coast.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That being said, we need to be ready for a bumpier ride on D next year. Gudas, and some youngsters are definitely gonna make us weaker on the back end than Coburn and whoever else gets traded today.

It will be rough for a few years for sure.

It's funny, cause if you look at the Flyers defense individually, they look respectable.....but more often than not, the individuals combined to make up a pretty crappy group as a whole. If Coburn, Gross and or Luke were to be dealt, I don't think the replacements would fair all that bad. Coburn is dead from the neck down, just never developed a lot of hockey sense...and Gross and Luke are to of our least mobile d-men....so it would be nice....refreshing even...to get faster and more mobile.

so it would be nice....refreshing even...to get faster and more mobile.

Hey, stranger things have happened! I'm just loving the return Hextall is getting on these guys.

Apparently it's the first time since 2006 we've had picks in the first 4 rounds.

I don't feel the need to be rude to him. Sorry it didn't work out here.

I'm a tad disappointed that the Coburn/VLC combo deal didn't happen though.

..as pipe dreamy as that was.

for a first, third and Radko Gudas

buhbye.jpg

Apparently it's the first time since 2006 we've had picks in the first 4 rounds.

If Hexy is trying to pull off the best ever showing for a Flyers GM at the deadline, the first few deals are certainly a step in the right direction.

I don't feel the need to be rude to him. Sorry it didn't work out here.

I'm a tad disappointed that the Coburn/VLC combo deal didn't happen though.

..as pipe dreamy as that was.

I think it did work out here... for 9 years. 

The Flyers are just heading in a different direction now and maximized the value they could get out of him.

Those were the rumors anyway.

Either way I can't believe we got a first for Coburn. Wonder if we can package both first rounders and the schenns and move up in the draft at all.

that is not a pipedream... it would be a miracle.

I think it did work out here... for 9 years.

The Flyers are just heading in a different direction now and maximized the value they could get out of him.

Absolutely. No misgivings whatsoever. I just don't feel the need I be a jerk to Coburn about it.

Those were the rumors anyway.

Either way I can't believe we got a first for Coburn. Wonder if we can package both first rounders and the schenns and move up in the draft at all.

I was starting to think along those lines. It will be interesting to see b/c we actually have some picks for once!   

@flyerrod

Murraycraven's #55 post on this thread is pretty accurate.

I will add my own observations from watching him play for the Syracuse Crunch and the Tampa Bay Lightning:

Gudas, in the minors was that crazy, wrecking ball, always running into people, picking fights (even though he isn't overly big at 6'0 205, but is quite strong, sturdy and mean)...he brought that mentality up with him to the NHL, but quickly found that NHL level players aren't as easily pushed around as they were in the minors.

Make no mistake, Gudas is still quite a handful for most NHL'ers in the physical department, but with the help of the coaching staff and his own re-focusing of his energies, has become a more 'controlled' crazy man at the NHL level.

He LOVES hitting, takes no crap from anyone, no matter who they are, has a mean hip check (whether that is good or not will depend on the fan watching...many don't like it), and is a guy who you definitely don't want to have your head down when you go through the neutral zone and into the other team's defensive zone.

Minuses: His skating and puck handling ARE still a project.

He is best matched up against the opposition's bottom six guys because at this stage of his career, he is still outskated by legit top six guys at the NHL level.

He is young enough where he can still improve those abilities, but on the Bolts, he definitely was the 'least graceful' for lack of a better term, D-man of their top three pairs.

Also, while he CAN fight, again, he has found that NHL fighters aren't as easy to rag doll as the ones he fought in the AHL or Juniors.

As a fighter in the NHL, I'd rate him middling at best...though again, he is a bulldog, and sometimes being mean can overcome being a better fighter.

I gotta say, listening to sports news early this morning, my first reaction to hearing about this trade was one of shock and initial disappointment.

I realize Gudas won't be playing again this year and when he did earlier on, he didn't show all he can do.....he WAS playing with the injury that ultimately needed surgery and cost him his season.

Still though, I really thought Gudas was going to be a long term Bolts player. He was grown through their system, is still quite young, and has even tempered his 'mad man' mentality to the point where he now CAN be a regular NHL defenseman....if he can come back from his injury fit and confident.

I am still scratching my head on this deal.

I know the Bolts needed a more physical presence on the blue line, but I have a hard time understanding how A) Coburn was it, and B) What a price to pay with picks AND taking on salary (Gudas 1M cap hit this year and next, Coburn 4.5M over the same period).

Also, Gudas is an RFA while Coburn will be a UFA after next season.

Initially, I will say the Flyers won this deal.

Especially when you consider the Flyers got two picks out of the deal.

Now, that said, Radko Gudas was NOT going to play for the Bolts this season...and TB needed a physical body for the playoffs THIS year.

So, in the short term, the Bolts got what they wanted ( I guess...remains to be seen if Coburn can re-invent himself with a much better overall group of defensemen in Tampa Bay), but next season, when both Coburn and Gudas are playing with their new teams full time, we will see the true measure of this trade as far as 'on ice' contributions from each.

TB vs Philly games should be pretty interesting next season as I KNOW Gudas will be skating with a chip on his shoulder and will be looking to knock TB players into next week every chance he gets.

Bolts can only hope that he reverts to his old ways and becomes the undisiciplined Gudas from his initial time in the NHL rather than the more controlled guy he was becoming.

But Gudas has worked very hard to get where he is....Bolts just best be ready for his vengeance.

Hopefully, Coburn would want to show Philly and the rest of the league that he is better than he showed last time he wore orange n black...and he can start doing that this season for TB in the playoffs.

I will miss Gudas, for sure.

I also think Stevie Y dropped the ball a bit here....but then, I have doubted Yzerman's moves before and have been proven wrong to different degrees in the past.

Maybe Yzerman knows something about Coburn and what he can bring short term to the team that the rest of us aren't aware of......I can only hope.

Good deal for the Flyers....jury is out on this for the Bolts, although the playoffs could change my mind.

Will be watching Mr. Coburn very closely.

There really should be a "both" option for this. The first could be anywhere from 15th-30th. The third is a third. While getting another first is great, it's still just a pick. Coburn, despite his faults, is a quality Dman who skates and does a lot of underappreciated things well. Tampa got better with the trade.

@flyerrod

I will add my own observations from watching him play for the Syracuse Crunch and the Tampa Bay Lightning:

Gudas, in the minors was that crazy, wrecking ball, always running into people, picking fights (even though he isn't overly big at 6'0 205, but is quite strong, sturdy and mean)...he brought that mentality up with him to the NHL, but quickly found that NHL level players aren't as easily pushed around as they were in the minors.

Make no mistake, Gudas is still quite a handful for most NHL'ers in the physical department, but with the help of the coaching staff and his own re-focusing of his energies, has become a more 'controlled' crazy man at the NHL level.

He LOVES hitting, takes no crap from anyone, no matter who they are, has a mean hip check (whether that is good or not will depend on the fan watching...many don't like it), and is a guy who you definitely don't want to have your head down when you go through the neutral zone and into the other team's defensive zone.

He is best matched up against the opposition's bottom six guys because at this stage of his career, he is still outskated by legit top six guys at the NHL level.

He is young enough where he can still improve those abilities, but on the Bolts, he definitely was the 'least graceful' for lack of a better term, D-man of their top three pairs.

Also, while he CAN fight, again, he has found that NHL fighters aren't as easy to rag doll as the ones he fought in the AHL or Juniors.

As a fighter in the NHL, I'd rate him middling at best...though again, he is a bulldog, and sometimes being mean can overcome being a better fighter.

I gotta say, listening to sports news early this morning, my first reaction to hearing about this trade was one of shock and initial disappointment.

I realize Gudas won't be playing again this year and when he did earlier on, he didn't show all he can do.....he WAS playing with the injury that ultimately needed surgery and cost him his season.

Still though, I really thought Gudas was going to be a long term Bolts player. He was grown through their system, is still quite young, and has even tempered his 'mad man' mentality to the point where he now CAN be a regular NHL defenseman....if he can come back from his injury fit and confident.

I know the Bolts needed a more physical presence on the blue line, but I have a hard time understanding how A) Coburn was it, and B) What a price to pay with picks AND taking on salary (Gudas 1M cap hit this year and next, Coburn 4.5M over the same period).

Now, that said, Radko Gudas was NOT going to play for the Bolts this season...and TB needed a physical body for the playoffs THIS year.

So, in the short term, the Bolts got what they wanted ( I guess...remains to be seen if Coburn can re-invent himself with a much better overall group of defensemen in Tampa Bay), but next season, when both Coburn and Gudas are playing with their new teams full time, we will see the true measure of this trade as far as 'on ice' contributions from each.

TB vs Philly games should be pretty interesting next season as I KNOW Gudas will be skating with a chip on his shoulder and will be looking to knock TB players into next week every chance he gets.

Bolts can only hope that he reverts to his old ways and becomes the undisiciplined Gudas from his initial time in the NHL rather than the more controlled guy he was becoming.

But Gudas has worked very hard to get where he is....Bolts just best be ready for his vengeance.

Hopefully, Coburn would want to show Philly and the rest of the league that he is better than he showed last time he wore orange n black...and he can start doing that this season for TB in the playoffs.

I also think Stevie Y dropped the ball a bit here....but then, I have doubted Yzerman's moves before and have been proven wrong to different degrees in the past.

Maybe Yzerman knows something about Coburn and what he can bring short term to the team that the rest of us aren't aware of......I can only hope.

Good deal for the Flyers....jury is out on this for the Bolts, although the playoffs could change my mind.

Thanks TFG. So far it sounds good as a Flyer fan. Now for you, I think Coburn might get a motivational boot in the arse with this trade. And if you can get angry Coburn going in the playoffs, he can be very good. 

@flyerrod

great write up!

If the Bolts were truly looking for a physical defeseman then Coburn is the exact opposite.  I think Carle might be more physical ;)   Coburn needs to have a good partner to be successful.  He rode the coattails of Kimmo for years, and with that said, was a very good partner.  When Kimmo went down Flyers fans realized how brain dead Coburn actually is...  to say that Coburn missed Kimmo is the understatement of the year.

Most of us thought Coburn would be a legit top pairing guy capable of running the pairing but he just does not have the brains.   He has the tools but just never managed to put it all together.  Dont get me wrong - I think he will make your Team better and I hope nothing for the best with him.  I think it was time for Philly to move on and turn the page.   There might be incentive for him as well as I know he and Matt Carle are very close friends.   

For the Bolts sake I hope he does not score any goals for his own Team and/or inadvertently check his goalie. :)

Happy with the deal overall. I would have preferred a 1st and a 2nd, or a first and a good prospect though. Gudas does nothing for me, can't say I've ever noticed anything about him other than his name but he seems like the kind of defenseman (player in general) that we're trying to get away from. Slow, penalty-prone 3rd pairing guy with no real offensive ability. Don't see the need for him. I guess he's cheaper than Schenn or Grossman, assuming one or both of them get traded.

I'd say this is a good deal for the Flyers and that they got more than I thought they could but then I might be accused of hating on Coburn.  :ph34r:  ;)

Coburn was a #WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy with the deal overall. I would have preferred a 1st and a 2nd, or a first and a good prospect though. Gudas does nothing for me, can't say I've ever noticed anything about him other than his name but he seems like the kind of defenseman (player in general) that we're trying to get away from. Slow, penalty-prone 3rd pairing guy with no real offensive ability. Don't see the need for him. I guess he's cheaper than Schenn or Grossman, assuming one or both of them get traded.

Agreed on Gudas. Grossman must be going. I think Hexy did as good as he could though.

Archived