Mason Rips Teammates After DAL loss

radoran

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2015/03/11/steve-mason-rips-into-the-team-in-front-of-him/

"There was no desperation," said Mason. "It's tough to come in the room after games like that. We need to have a much better effort, and it just wasn't there. I'm embarrassed and I hope everyone else is embarrassed, too, because to play like that at home in a situation where we have to come up big and we come up like that."

Wayne Simmonds knew that Mason had every right to call out his teammates.  "We have to have everyone on board," he said. "Tonight, it wasn't there, and I think Mase is right to say that. He stood on his head for us and gave us a shot, and we definitely didn't return the favor."

Doesn't sound to me like a team that was adequately prepared to play hockey.

He may sound like an ass, but he is right...

I don't think he sounds like an ass. To me, he sounds like a leader. It's time that the environment of entitlement be thrown out the window and an emotional leader emerge. I'm glad to see Mason stand up and put his teammates on notice. Someone needed to.

I don't think he sounds like an ass. To me, he sounds like a leader. It's time that the environment of entitlement be thrown out the window and an emotional leader emerge. I'm glad to see Mason stand up and put his teammates on notice. Someone needed to.

Simmonds has been saying this for weeks.

This is a perfect example of what I said in a previous post, the locker room is toxic right now and it's only going to get worse the last 15 games, That is why I would like to see them remove Craig "I have a gut feeling but no system" Berube sooner than later. It would send a message that EVERYONE is under review the last 15 games and people are playing for their jobs. Rather than just play out the string it may motivate some to want to be part of the solution moving forward.

I realize it won't happen, but a guy can still dream.

Good on Mason for calling out the team for the non effort against a Dallas team that is already scheduling golf times in early April. The Flyers fought hard all year to get back in the conversation and now lately they seem to play disinterested hockey. Mason, as one of the team leaders is well within his rights to let the guys have it after laying an egg like they did last night.

Good on Mason for calling out the team for the non effort against a Dallas team that is already scheduling golf times in early April. The Flyers fought hard all year to get back in the conversation and now lately they seem to play disinterested hockey. Mason, as one of the team leaders is well within his rights to let the guys have it after laying an egg like they did last night.

Mason has every reason to be pissed. Guy is forced to play while recovering from injury and only one or two other players (White, MDZ) have been showing up for games. Good on him for calling out the room! I just hope the Flyers mis-management of him this season in addition to the lose of Reese does not push him to the point where he wants his agent to demand a trade.

Greetings:

I reflect on what's said here and wonder if the problem is that with a few exceptions, most of this squad isn't in the running for much.  VLC and Umberger are spent forces.  I have to give Umberger credit--the guy realizes his effectiveness is zilch and admitted it.  Grossmann has one more year and will probably be KHL after that.  Schultz isn't much better (I think we will regret that signing).  Emery probably knows his days are numbered. Jeepers Creepers...with the exception of White, who really has anything to prove?  PEB has earned a signing...for peanuts.  Voracek and G don't have much to prove.  

This squad is in its "death throes." Two years from now most of this bunch will be bought out, retired, traded, overseas, or whatever.  And I suspect most of them know it.  It is a little like the summer before going away to college, realizing that friends of many years may be going elsewhere.  It is a bit sad. 

Umby and VLC are the biggest messes.  I wonder if buyouts are in the offing, even if the cap hits are painful.  I was also surprised Streit wasn't traded at the deadline but suspect we couldn't bag enough.  

So I doubt the locker room is toxic.  It is probably apathetic.  And I would say an apathetic group is very hard to lead because they simply don't care.

Best,

Howie

Archived