6-10

Jmdodgesrt4

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jmdodgesrt4

The good thing is we're likely going to get a very good player in that slot, wherever it is. Hopefully as you said, we fall. Depending on who takes who and where we end up we'll likely end up with one of Barzal/Crouse/Provorov/Werenski/Rantanan/Meier

@sekkes85

I agree it would be nice to get some size on that top line LW. But hopefully we're taking the best player in the draft at that spot, not the guy who fits a hole. If say for whatever reason Strome fell to us, you gotta take him. We could always trade one of Couturier/Laughton/Schenn + to fill that spot.

Arright @flyercanuck, hypothetical cause you watch these games more than I. Let's say the Flyers fall between 6-8. Would you package a player like Couturier ( don't think a team will take Schenn to make that deal, Strome seems to project better) and that pick to move up to 4 and grab Strome? Or Tampa's 1st and ours? Neither? something else? Or just wait at our pick? At 6 you'd be pretty much guaranteed Strome, Crouse, or Werenski, 8th you're probably out on one of those, but there are still good players. You really can't go wrong anywhere in this top 10, but is that a move you'd consider? I'm normally against multiple for one deals - is the talent jump that great from Strome to anyone below him? There seems to be a lot of variation in the top 10 after MacDavid - Eichel - Hanafin, and I see some scouts even seem to like Werenski better than Hanafin, but ISS ranks him 10th.

@AJgoal

Philly doesn't have the depth to be packaging IMO. I've seen Marner and Strome both rated ahead of Hanifan by some. I've seen Crouse rated ahead of those two. Some pretty good talent to be had...I don't see the point of trading up unless you're getting McDavid.

Thanks, that's kind of what I feel (not deep enough - basically said the same last year about moving up for Ekblad), but wanted your opinion. Like you say, the ratings seem to be all over the board. I've seen Marner rated high, I've seen Marner at 10. Button has Crouse at 18 - which there is a (very) outside shot that that's where the Flyers' second pick could be. Someone drafting before the Flyers could reach for a need - all kinds of variables. Hopefully they can hit on both picks.

@AJgoal

I can't see Marner going any lower than 5th, but that's me. If he was a little bit bigger he'd be in the same discussion as Eichel and McDavid...the kid has sick skills. Crouse to me isn't quite as skilled as some of the others but his size certainly isn't hurting him. And he was on a bad team this year...he had noone to play with until Bennett came back. 

No offence to TFG, but I'd love to see Tampa go out 4 straight. 

I would too, but we also need some upsets since they have a high point total. I'm planning to put together a post on the Flyers' draft picks including the range they could fall in once the season wraps so we can see rooting interest.

Damn. I was under the impression that the Flyers got the Rags pick if Tampa fell out of the playoffs. BSH says that they'd get it only if Tampa won the lottery. Should've been rooting for Tampa to lose since the deadline...

Same scouting staff so I see them taking BPA......biggest player available

the problem with the BPA approach is that you have to be ready to move him... Which is what we all say the flyers should stop doing with their youth.

If you draft yet another center just because he's the best guy, ten you're waiting around for four years to see if he really is better than Sxhenn, coot and Laughton instead of cultivating and developing a player for a position that you know you'll need.

I don't think that means it's a bad policy at this point. I don't know this year's class well enough to say anyway. But if that's the path they take, and they get something other than a winger, the chances are good that we will have to accept him as either a bargaining piece or the means to turn Some other guy with potential into a bargaining piece.

Would you package a player like Couturier ( don't think a team will take Schenn to make that deal, Strome seems to project better) and that pick to move up to 4 and grab Strome?

I totally agree with fc here. The smart play is to hoard all assets and pick whatever future star is there when our turn comes up. It's a tad unlikely, but Strome can go anywhere from 4-8 the way I see it. Most likely 4th or 5th, but he could just naturally fall to the Flyers also. Another huge variable is how many meaningless points we get in the last 8 games. Last nights win against Chicago hurt.

I totally agree with fc here. The smart play is to hoard all assets and pick whatever future star is there when our turn comes up. It's a tad unlikely, but Strome can go anywhere from 4-8 the way I see it. Most likely 4th or 5th, but he could just naturally fall to the Flyers also. Another huge variable is how many meaningless points we get in the last 8 games. Last nights win against Chicago hurt.

It did and it didn't. NJ and Columbus still beat the Flyers out if they win their games in hand and then tie for points gained over the last 7. Flyers weren't going to go 0-8 to finish the season. You just would figure they'd lose against teams like Chicago. 

I get that people love Meier and Rantanen, but I'm really hesitant about these late 96ers, especially when you consider that they're doing so well against their 97 peers when they're nearly a year older. Personally, if I'm a GM, I'm staying far away from these October 96 kids. I know it might sound silly, but to really gauge how good these guys are, you need to see them against their same age peers. Nope, don't want Meier or Rantanen. If the Flyers can't draft a 97 forward with size between 6 and 10, then I'd rather they draft best player available. Right now, if the top five are McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner, then that should leave Crouse, Werenski, Barzal as the guys the Flyers get to choose from. And honestly, I don't think Crouse is the best of the three. I'd say that it's Barzal and it's not close.

I get that people love Meier and Rantanen, but I'm really hesitant about these late 96ers, especially when you consider that they're doing so well against their 97 peers when they're nearly a year older. Personally, if I'm a GM, I'm staying far away from these October 96 kids. I know it might sound silly, but to really gauge how good these guys are, you need to see them against their same age peers. Nope, don't want Meier or Rantanen. If the Flyers can't draft a 97 forward with size between 6 and 10, then I'd rather they draft best player available. Right now, if the top five are McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner, then that should leave Crouse, Werenski, Barzal as the guys the Flyers get to choose from. And honestly, I don't think Crouse is the best of the three. I'd say that it's Barzal and it's not close.

It's a good point you make re late birthdays. There's always exceptions and late bloomers, but in general it's good advice.

If the scouting reports that compare Barzal to Sam Reinhart are accurate, I'd say he's the guy as well because Sam Reinhart might be the smartest young player I've seen in years. And I think the Flyers need some smarter players (not to mention management).

If the scouting reports that compare Barzal to Sam Reinhart are accurate, I'd say he's the guy as well because Sam Reinhart might be the smartest young player I've seen in years. And I think the Flyers need some smarter players (not to mention management).

Great points, the Flyers should be going for speed and smarts and work ethic, not necessarily size. I don't want some big stiff who has no vision. The Flyers are real short on players who see the whole ice and can anticipate plays.

Great points, the Flyers should be going for speed and smarts and work ethic, not necessarily size. I don't want some big stiff who has no vision. The Flyers are real short on players who see the whole ice and can anticipate plays.

Agreed. Watch them take Crouse....

Agreed. Watch them take Crouse....

Now, in defense of Crouse, he's not a bad player. I think not having Sam Bennett to dish him the puck certainly affected his game. At the same time, with his size, he should have been steam rolling guys and creating his own offense. Great complimentary piece, but I wouldn't draft him at 6. I'd draft him at 11 or 12, but not top 10.

Now, in defense of Crouse, he's not a bad player. I think not having Sam Bennett to dish him the puck certainly affected his game. At the same time, with his size, he should have been steam rolling guys and creating his own offense. Great complimentary piece, but I wouldn't draft him at 6. I'd draft him at 11 or 12, but not top 10.

Fair point. My viewings of him are limited to the World Juniors pretty much, which is really a 19 year old tournament. He was very "meh" to me. He did light it up at Hlinka among his peer group. I'm not convinced on either his hands or hockey IQ. 

Last nights win against Chicago hurt.

Yes it did they were 2 points out from the 6th with a game in hand. They blew that one, they should have shut Mason down for the season that would have helped the cause with Emery between the pipes. But i wasn't expecting this group to lay down and not compete...they are professionals no matter how much we would prefer it....they have too much pride.

Archived