Subban delivers two hander to Stone (poll)

yave1964

Did the punishment fit the crime  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should Subban deserve the ejection? Should their be more?

• No, should have been two minutes for slashing
    • The ejection fit the crime
    • He deserves a suspension

In the Second period of the spirited game between rivals Ottawa and Montreal, P.K. Subban delivered a two handed tomahawk chop to the wrist of Mark Stone of the Senators in front of the net, seen here:

Subban was immediately ejected for the slash. Some call for even harsher penalties while others say it was way over the top to throw him out of a playoff game (won 4-3 by Montreal) for something like that.

mT8lZF2fM5kd0g8G7QIyJhg.jpg Subban is a ridiculously talented player but has a history with the Senators. In fact his only other game misconduct came in a playoff game in 2013

in game three of the playoffs against the Senators where he attacked Kyle Turris, lost his compisure, was tossed and the Habs went on to lose the series.

Senators Coach Dave Cameron had this to say, "I think it is simple, you either suspend him or one of their best players gets slashed and you only give us a five." Wow.

Rivalry started early in the series. I will be glued to every game going forward.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say sit him a game that waw pretty careless...i know he was going for the stick but he has to be responsible for it...so sit him especially since he has a history. I've certainly seen worse though for sure.

I say sit him a game that waw pretty careless...i know he was going for the stick but he has to be responsible for it...so sit him especially since he has a history. I've certainly seen worse though for sure.

The announcers crack me up in the video, they make it seem as if it is no big deal, that the ref blew it completely. You simply cannot lay a two hander on someone away from the puck and expect to get away with it like that.

Unless of course you are a farm boy from Flin Flon......

I don't believe there was any intent to injure on that play. However, that was a nasty slash and (essentially) took Stone out of the game. As the NHL always does, they will wait too see the injury report. I think he deserves at least 1 game suspension.

The announcers crack me up in the video, they make it seem as if it is no big deal, that the ref blew it completely. You simply cannot lay a two hander on someone away from the puck and expect to get away with it like that.

The funny thing was seeing Suban's reaction when the ref blew the whistle. He was incredulous that he was getting a penalty for that, even before he realized he was getting a major for it.   How can you expect to take a swing with the stick starting above your head, hit a guy on the wrists, and expect to not get called for it.  

This was reckless, and served NO purpose as a hockey play, NONE.  I don't have a problem with the 5 and game because of that.    Suspension, meh, I don't think so, but if Stone has a broken bone and will miss games, the logic of the NHL(I know, an oxymoron) will kick in.

What I want to know is how they can call Ellar's penalty prior to that a high stick, and not a butt end.  That was pretty blatant also.

The funny thing was seeing Suban's reaction when the ref blew the whistle. He was incredulous that he was getting a penalty for that, even before he realized he was getting a major for it.   How can you expect to take a swing with the stick starting above your head, hit a guy on the wrists, and expect to not get called for it.  

This was reckless, and served NO purpose as a hockey play, NONE.  I don't have a problem with the 5 and game because of that.    Suspension, meh, I don't think so, but if Stone has a broken bone and will miss games, the logic of the NHL(I know, an oxymoron) will kick in.

What I want to know is how they can call Ellar's penalty prior to that a high stick, and not a butt end.  That was pretty blatant also.

for the sake of being redundant....agree with your logic.  It was a "Nasty" Slash...but as others have alluded to...I have has seen far worse.  I say no suspension unless of course it comes back that Stone has a broken bone...then he will get a 1 game.  Welcome to the playoffs.

If he wants to play again, let him put his arms out in front of Stoner and let him return the slash...oh, and make sure he has no protection on it when he takes the hit. Subban is a classless POS who continues to show the hockey world what a self entitled idiot he is. I would suspend him for pouting like a baby alone.

P.S> My view my be slightly skewed due to my Subban hate but I still believe they should use the code of Hammurabi (an eye for an eye) in situations like this. Subban's suspension if he gets one should equal the amount of games that Stoner misses, especially in the playoffs......

imo, intent to injure, thus a 1 game suspension from the League.  Set an example before there are broken bones.

agree. If he should get a 1 game suspension I will have no problem with it.  I based my early comment on that fact, that historically during the playoffs in types of instances, there has been no suspension unless there was an injury.  I have no problem if the league wants to set a new precendent to sit players for commiting these types of penalties in order to curb this type of behavior.

imo, intent to injure, thus a 1 game suspension from the League.  Set an example before there are broken bones.

This. It's going to get absolutely nasty otherwise. Well, It's going to get nasty anyway, but it will be nasti-ER without a suspension.

Well nothing added no suspension nothing added. I just thinm it sets a bad example he let an injury dictate weather should be a suspension.

If you want that to go away then draw a line in the sand no sense of waiting till someone get seriously hurt to do something.

Make it a a suspension if you truly want it out the game or at least a repeat type offender thing. A 1 game thing for a repeat offender and it could be extended for the severity of it.

Just an idea.

Regardless of whether there's a broken bone or other injury, I think that's suspension worthy. 1 game cause it's the playoffs, but he clearly knew what he was doing, and he wound up pretty good.

FYI, league has stated no suspension/subsequent discipline for PK.  Didn't see where anyone posted that yet.

In that case, hide yo wife, hide yo kids, and hide yo mama. The Sens are going to drill everything that moves.

LOL, good one. You should consult an atlas though: the only farming ever done in Flin Flon was an ill-fated medical marijuana operation 4,500 feet below the surface of the earth. 

It's solid bedrock. You couldn't even graze sheep in that inhospitable terrain.

As for the slash last night, meh. A bit reckless with the stick sure, but that's a pretty common play in front of the net, slashing at the other guy's stick so he can't deflect the point shot. Not an option in the poll, but I would have given Subban a double-minor for that. 

He slid he hand up the shaft and swung his stick like a club. 100% attemp to do some sort of damage. Watch Subban and he is famous for his stickwork. Ask Vinny Lecavalier. Retaliate and soon he will roll on the ice as if he is shot.

What should happen: 2 games....if this League has balls.

What will happen : 0 games. This League does not have balls. Plus this is Montreal. How long did it take to get the play underway after this penalty due to all the drama the Montreal bench performed>? The crowd booing/whining? Refs confused?

Then Subban comes back to do a encore in his longjohns swearing like a 12 year old.Waaaaaaah.

Another  Montreal player buttends a Sens player in the throat  and the Montreal bench and fans complain when its replayed on the  clock"See...he hit it the throat and tried to break his windpipe...hes not trying for his jugular!!!!"

They can skate around doing crap...touch their players and the fans are calling 911.

Games versus Montreal equals loads of drama.

He slid he hand up the shaft and swung his stick like a club. 100% attemp to do some sort of damage. Watch Subban and he is famous for his stickwork. Ask Vinny Lecavalier. Retaliate and soon he will roll on the ice as if he is shot.

What should happen: 2 games....if this League has balls.

What will happen : 0 games. This League does not have balls. Plus this is Montreal. How long did it take to get the play underway after this penalty due to all the drama the Montreal bench performed>? The crowd booing/whining? Refs confused?

Then Subban comes back to do a encore in his longjohns swearing like a 12 year old.Waaaaaaah.

Another Montreal player buttends a Sens player in the throat and the Montreal bench and fans complain when its replayed on the clock"See...he hit it the throat and tried to break his windpipe...hes not trying for his jugular!!!!"

They can skate around doing crap...touch their players and the fans are calling 911.

Games versus Montreal equals loads of drama.

The fact that Subban has a history should factor in and he should maybe get a game as a result.

But I actually think the butt-end was worse. Who was that? Desharnais? I'm glad you brought it up. In and of itself a butt-end is a Match Penalty. And for good reason..

Sens players shouldn't go out of their way to engage Subban for Game 2 (that's probably what he is looking for and expecting), but they SHOULD finish each and every check every single time the opportunities arise.

Many times, players who have someone lined up have the option to either, 1) Let up, 2) Bump, 3) Finish hard.

If it doesn't take them out of the play at an inopportune time and isn't interference, Sens players should opt for #3 every time on PK....have Subban looking over his shoulder the entire game.

Archived