Skinner to Philly for VLC?

brelic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One reason I think this is strictly rumor and a product of the slow hockey news cycle is this: with every other move Hexy has made(might be forgetting one), there was NO rumor mill/indicators prior to the deal being announced--or just before it was.

He's got that place buttoned down. A trade of this size(forget what is going either way for the moment)....no way that leaks out of the building on his watch.

Makes perfect sense....UNLESS...Hexy himself had it leaked, to prove to other GM's that people are interested in the services of VLC....it would prove that he is indeed tradeable....even though the rumored trade would not favour Philly....it is a trade nonetheless...and a few days ago, there was NO market, now, perhaps he has created a market.

NO WAY do I give up a 1st round pick for an injury risk such as Skinner.  I like him as a player and I would love to see them unload VLC and Schenn in the process, but I would never part with a 1st round pick when they are in the midst of rebuilding, especially where there is a chance the Flyers are back in the lottery this year.  They need to stock pile all the young talent they can in order to be good in the near future and beyond.

Take out the 1st rounder and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Leave th 1st rounder in there, but keep Luke in Philly.

A) he'll be better this year (I have faith in Hakstol to a degree)

B) his contract, which isn't a killer is up about in time for Morin Hagg and Sanheim to be contributors

C) he'll be a more valuable commodity at the deadline.

Switch Luke for Mac and I tank up the truck and drive them to the airport myself.

And I think Mac will be better too.. It's that contract that's such a killer.

NO WAY do I give up a 1st round pick for an injury risk such as Skinner. I like him as a player and I would love to see them unload VLC and Schenn in the process, but I would never part with a 1st round pick when they are in the midst of rebuilding, especially where there is a chance the Flyers are back in the lottery this year. They need to stock pile all the young talent they can in order to be good in the near future and beyond.

I would be SHOCKED if we were back in the lottery this year. SHOCKED. So much so that I think it's pure fantasy.

I just hope Hexy doesn't get carried away with a hope of getting rid of Vinny and does something utterly stupid.

Just checked numbers and frankly I don't do the deal. skinner would have to be a real contributor to be worthwhile. His contract is more money than VLC's over an even longer duration. Unless he's actually contributing, it's not buying us anything. I say no and let's see what Haks can do with Vin and Mac and Luke by deadline time.

I would be SHOCKED if we were back in the lottery this year. SHOCKED. So much so that I think it's pure fantasy.

Really? You know that every non-playoff team is in the lottery, right? So that means you would be SHOCKED if they missed the playoffs?

I'll go on record stating I would be ok if they miss the playoffs one more year.  This team is still very suspect on the blue line and there are simply too many querstions marks for offense outside Roo / Jake / Simmer.  I would rather have this team miss one more year and have Hexy draft more solid players then be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. This team is not quite ready or built for a deep playoff run yet.

I don't really consider 12th or 13th " in the lottery" though I suppose there's alwAys a chance.

Yeah, there is a mathematical chance but realistically you probably need to be in bottom 8. Probably bottom 5.

It's similar to how people were still talking about the possibility of the flyers making the playoffs this past January. Mathematical and realistic are two different things.

I'll go on record stating I would be ok if they miss the playoffs one more year.  This team is still very suspect on the blue line and there are simply too many querstions marks for offense outside Roo / Jake / Simmer.  I would rather have this team miss one more year and have Hexy draft more solid players then be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. This team is not quite ready or built for a deep playoff run yet.

I love playoff hockey! I wouldn't want them to make short-sighted moves just to make the playoffs, but if this squad overachieves or puts it together in such a way that they play as a team and make the playoffs, hey, that's awesome! Isn't that what we all want?

i don't know if i care about a "deep run" i think playoff experience is invaluable.

i would prefer to have a season where natural selection takes its course and some "NHL" blueliners are injured and call ups from the valley make them expendable, the team over achieves and young players get to experience the tempo and intensity of playoff hockey a year ahead of schedule. 

i am also really looking forward to seeing if this Hackstol fella is the real deal or if he's Nick Saban.   I am of  course hoping for the former .  I think it would be best for the whole organization for this team to make the playoffs, even if it is one and done. I think psychologically making the tournament gets the boys thinking they're winners and not losers...half the teams make the tournament so getting the loser stink off themselves as quickly as can be, I think, is critical.

@radoran

it is amazing how homer went from competent to wtf in 2 years. really which portion of his term was more representative the first couple years , hartnell timonen,  or the last couple bryz vlc ?  it is like he started drinking again or something

Really? You know that every non-playoff team is in the lottery, right? So that means you would be SHOCKED if they missed the playoffs?

As I said elsewhere, I don't realistically interpret most of the lottery positions as being "in" the lottery.

Yeah, there is a mathematical chance but realistically you probably need to be in bottom 8. Probably bottom 5.

It's similar to how people were still talking about the possibility of the flyers making the playoffs this past January. Mathematical and realistic are two different things.

Exactly. I COULD Technically win the power ball tomorrow. Marhematically it's a possibility, however infinitesimally tiny.

And I remember as a kid, the saddest days of the year were whenever the Flyers and Phillies were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe that's why I hated math class so much.

it is amazing how homer went from competent to wtf in 2 years. really which portion of his term was more representative the first couple years , hartnell timonen,  or the last couple bryz vlc ?  it is like he started drinking again or something

It was the same Homer. Timonen was already past his prime when we got him (32), and he turned out great. Hartnell turned out solid too, but was only 25 so that move made a lot of sense and had a better chance of working out.

Look at the rest of his deals - they're all similar... older players who have passed their prime years. 

Briere, Pronger, Bryz, Streit, VLC, MacDud. All of them were given very long contracts to come/stay here, all of them were beyond their "prime" years (MacDud might be considered in his prime, but that's a sad statement if true). I'm not saying they didn't perform, but Homer was playing long odds, right? 

In that respect, Hartnell and Timo represented the exact same pattern Homer would continue to repeat - give up assets for the right to negotiate early - with mixed success. 

I've seen a marked departure from that with Hextall. He is taking care of the guys we already have first and foremost. I like that. And he's making trades where the other GM is the one taking the long odds.

As I said elsewhere, I don't realistically interpret most of the lottery positions as being "in" the lottery.

Well if you're not in the lottery, you're in the playoffs.

I don't realistically interpret most of the playoff positions as in the playoffs. 1 of 16 playoff teams win the cup. 1 of 14 non-playoff teams win the lottery. Better odds of winning the lottery...and this year its top 3.  :D  

Archived