Skinner to Philly for VLC?

brelic

Lol, slow news day so something talk about.. The author claims to have a source. BS or not, would you do it?

http://thehockeypress.sportsblog.com/posts/3086546/nhl-trade-rumor--jeff-skinner-to-philadelphia-flyers---vincent-lecavalier-to-carolina-hurricanes.html

PROPOSED TRADE (idea):

Carolina Hurricanes:

• Jeff Skinner

• 4th round draft pick

Philadelphia Flyers for:

• Vincent Lecavalier

• Luke Schenn

• Nick Cousins

• 1st round draft pick

• 3rd round draft pick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry... no way am I giving that up for Skinner - even of VLC is out of Philly.   Way too much...  take out the picks and I would do it.

I'm with you on this. Skinner peaked as an 18 year old and has an injury/concussion history that should be concerning.

I think it would be giving up too many assets for him. Especially the 1st round pick. No way. 

I'd do this in spite of Skinner's concussion risk. If anything, it's addition by subtraction for the Flyers. At this point, I'd trade Vinny for a Carolina pulled pork sandwich. Take out Cousins and the third round pick and add a 2017 second rounder and I'd do the deal, and I think Carolina would also.

Make the first round pick a 2nd and maybe....maybe I'd consider it.

I was intrigued by the idea until I saw the picks.  Maybe I'd be okay as is but change 1st for 2nd.   I think it's one too many picks, though.  I'm okay with the rest of it, but I'm highly suspicious of Skinner.  If it gets rid of VLC SUCKS, sign me up.

Take the 1st out and it's not that bad. What is Skinner's actual concussion history? Bad?

Agreed! We would shed salary and the log jam on defense. If Skinner proves to be injury prone, he can be trained to fetch popcorn while on LTIR. :)

Even taking out the first, I have a few problems. First, we don't really know Cousins upside. He made a lot of strides in his second year as a pro. Plus, this is Luke's last year under contract....it's impossible to know how the players market will be 6 months from now, but it is not impossible to think that Luke may fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline, depending on other teams injuries etc. The whole thing seems like bad asset management. I want to rid ourselves of VLC as badly as anyone, but this just stinks from the get go. I'd rather pay a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make him go away, and leave our other assets alone.

it is not impossible to think that Luke may fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline,

Skinner is a 1st rounder that can help the core now - if he's healthy.

But I definitely would not give up a 1st rounder for him.

Make the first round pick a 2nd and maybe....maybe I'd consider it.

I was intrigued by the idea until I saw the picks.  Maybe I'd be okay as is but change 1st for 2nd.   I think it's one too many picks, though.  I'm okay with the rest of it, but I'm highly suspicious of Skinner.  If it gets rid of VLC SUCKS, sign me up.

Even taking out the first, I have a few problems. First, we don't really know Cousins upside. He made a lot of strides in his second year as a pro. Plus, this is Luke's last year under contract....it's impossible to know how the players market will be 6 months from now, but it is not impossible to think that Luke may fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline, depending on other teams injuries etc. The whole thing seems like bad asset management. I want to rid ourselves of VLC as badly as anyone, but this just stinks from the get go. I'd rather pay a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make him go away, and leave our other assets alone.

Potential lottery pick for Skinner? Even with the bonus of getting rid of Vinnie, no way.

Agree with all.....  Take away the Flyers 1st and change Carolina's pick to a 2nd...then maybe I might consider it this much.....

little.gif

maybe..........

As I understand it, there is a growing concern out of Carolina that Skinner's concussions are nagging and can become a chronic thing.

With Lindros and Primeau examples flushing right before our eyes, why would we want to take chances here?

As I understand it, there is a growing concern out of Carolina that Skinner's concussions are nagging and can become a chronic thing.

With Lindros and Primeau examples flushing right before our eyes, why would we want to take chances here?

This.

I'd take a shot at VLC + #3 for Skinner.   I don't think Carolina does that, but you can always walk away.   He's simply horrible.  It's a shame.

This.

I'd take a shot at VLC + #3 for Skinner.   I don't think Carolina does that, but you can always walk away.   He's simply horrible.  It's a shame.

I just hope Hexy doesn't get carried away with a hope of getting rid of Vinny and does something utterly stupid.

@Mad Dog  So far, Hexy has been great at his new job. This VLC thing, perhaps it truly becomes his proving ground. From where I sit, the only way to get rid of VLC is to GIVE up assets, either a mid range prospect or a mid range pick. If Hexy can somehow reverse that process, to actually get him something for him, it would make him a miracle worker in my eyes (and probably many others). On the surface, it seems impossible, to actually get something back for him. Here we have an aging, injury prone guy with work ethic concerns. Those are 3 strikes against him...there are 2 more, years left on his contract and a substantial salary that does not equal output. So...5 strikes against him. Yet, I think Hexy will pull off the impossible. It's not something I expect, but something that would really, really impress me.

Hey, we got back a draft pick AND a roster player for Grossmann AND Pronger's contract!

Mind = blown.

And TWO 2nd-round picks for a #warrior who hadn't played all year and was set to retire.

Bre...rux....agreed, but let's face it, this deal could not have been pulled off were it not for the Yotes need to reach the cap floor. There are only so many Yotes out there (anybody know how many teams in fact really need to reach the cap floor?). If Hexy is gonna pull this off, it will probably be with a team who needs to reach the floor.

@jammer2

I hear you and I want to see Vinny's contract unloaded as much as everybody else. I would like to think there is a trading partner somewhere out there who would be interested in Vinny's services, although this looks less and less probable, so I am not holding my breath. 

I just hope this doesn't become Hexy's obsession to the point where he does something Homer-like.  But like you said, Hexy hasn't done anything *yet* to make us think he would do that. 

Lol, slow news day so something talk about.. The author claims to have a source. BS or not, would you do it?

http://thehockeypress.sportsblog.com/posts/3086546/nhl-trade-rumor--jeff-skinner-to-philadelphia-flyers---vincent-lecavalier-to-carolina-hurricanes.html

PROPOSED TRADE (idea):

Carolina Hurricanes:

• Jeff Skinner

• 4th round draft pick

Philadelphia Flyers for:

• Vincent Lecavalier

• Luke Schenn

• Nick Cousins

• 1st round draft pick

• 3rd round draft pick

I wouldn't mind moving that load................just not for Skinner....sorry he has had too many concussion issues..........pass.

One reason I think this is strictly rumor and a product of the slow hockey news cycle is this: with every other move Hexy has made(might be forgetting one), there was NO rumor mill/indicators prior to the deal being announced--or just before it was.

He's got that place buttoned down. A trade of this size(forget what is going either way for the moment)....no way that leaks out of the building on his watch.

Archived