Richards Charged...

JackStraw

Maybe the whole "dry island" thing was more serious than we thought?

I thought it was serious at the time, and my thoughts have not changed. Mike was basically being called out by the whole org on his inability to stay sober....and he failed miserably. Homer, being a recovering alcoholic himself, knew what was going on, to his credit.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the idea that Kings' management would only do this if it had an airtight case: desperate people do desperate things. The Kings are mad enough and up.against the cap enough to attempt this in even a borderline situation.

The NHLPA will consider this a threat to civilization no matter what facts the Kings have on their side. Should be a corker...

Seems like a pretty desperate move by the Kings, but you have to believe that the way it came down (i.e. while they were in the middle of trying to trade him, and considering buying him out), lends some credibility to the idea that it might stand up under review.

Whatever it is, it must be pretty bad.

From an article on Yahoo today:  I have a few questions:  Isn't it a reporters job to report the news/break news?  Why are all these "reporters" reporting they know what happened, but NOT revealing it??   Is it because charges are pending, and they don't want to jump the gun?  Or are they protecting a team/player.  The whole situation is flat out bizarre.

Did Pierre McGuire out the reason why the Kings terminated the contract of Mike Richards for a “material breach” of his deal? 

While the NHL on NBC Sports analyst didn’t get into the hard details on TSN 690’s Melnick in the Afternoon show in Montreal, McGuire indicated the incident that led to the Kingss decision happened at a border crossing. Here is the link and we’ve displayed the transcript below. The segment starts at around the 9:17 mark.

Melnick: “Somebody in the know is telling me something happened with Mike Richards at a border crossing.”

Pierre: “Correct … I’m not going to talk about it until it’s made public. I have a pretty good idea of what’s happened.”

Melnick: “So the information I have, you can confirm that?”

Pierre: “Your information is probably pretty accurate.”

It probably has to do with Slander/Libel, DGG. If they say "We heard Richards was caught in a hotel room with an ape in a tutu," Richards could/would probably sue them if it turned out to not be true. Reporting hearsay is touchy. Until someone official outright confirms the incident, they won't put it out there. I agree with that.

That said, I wish they wouldn't throw little tidbits out there. Let the story develop. Saying "Something happened at a border crossing" leads to all kind of unnecessary speculation.

It probably has to do with Slander/Libel, DGG. If they say "We heard Richards was caught in a hotel room with an ape in a tutu," Richards could/would probably sue them if it turned out to not be true. Reporting hearsay is touchy. Until someone official outright confirms the incident, they won't put it out there. I agree with that.

That said, I wish they wouldn't throw little tidbits out there. Let the story develop. Saying "Something happened at a border crossing" leads to all kind of unnecessary speculation.

While I agree, I would also say that terminating at contract for "material breach" and not saying anything past that could also  be considered slander/libel because of what it implies.  Maybe authorities are involved, and they've asked the Kings to NOT say anything right now, who knows.

What a s***show.....

Saying "Something happened at a border crossing" leads to all kind of unnecessary speculation.

"Something happened at a border crossing" and the Kings didn't know about it until they were sitting at the draft table?

Sounds... odd?

And now we wait for "the rest of the story"

I'm going to go out there and speculate that the problem isn't with booze it's with prescription pain meds. 

He had a pile of injuries and a pile of surgeries where those meds would have been prescribed to him and I'll bet his brain loved them.

Some people just have a pathway that loves the opiates more than anything and his "behavior" and subsequent decline reeks of Vicodin / Oxy to me.

I'll bet he gets that **** on the cheap in Mexico and got busted... remember I made this up first.  Mojo News we just make **** up.

"Something happened at a border crossing" and the Kings didn't know about it until they were sitting at the draft table?

Sounds... odd?

Mike Richards did something so bad that it warrants tearing up his contract, and yet nobody heard about it. How terrible could it be? Apparently he wasn't arrested. Very odd.

I'm going to go out there and speculate that the problem isn't with booze it's with prescription pain meds. 

The guy interviewed on TSN radio said that when he heard the reasons (and he did say "reasons"- plural) he found them "very interesting". And said that they "got his attention". In this day and age, is a drug problem very interesting? It's almost more interesting to find out about an athlete who has never used drugs. And if they terminated the contract of every hockey player who drinks there would be no NHL.

Another interview with the latest instant internet celebrity Eric Macramalla. Fwiw, he is not only a lawyer but mentions that he is (or has been) an arbiter himself. One interesting thing he says is that when people hear the reasons they may be shocked or at least very, very surprised. This just really sounds weird.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/macramalla-expect-a-battle-on-richards-1.321767

This just really sounds weird.

It is pretty much beyond weird at this point.

I've heard Mike Richards was seen in the 6th floor window of a book depository.  E3

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Richards pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:ph34r:

After reading Jack's post,  

I think Mike was running a donkey show down in Tijuana.  

I know a dude who went there for spring break , the stories he had were unreal,  stuff like, guys coming up to him with , "hey gringo for 50 bucks i'll let you do whatever you want to my sister..."  my buddy was like well what if i want to kick her in the stomach is that you know extra ?  the guy thought about it for a second and was like no that's cool...

so maybe it's something really crazy, i hope it is... look if he's going to flame out i hope it's spectacular .

One interesting thing he says is that when people hear the reasons they may be shocked or at least very, very surprised.

I wonder if by "very, very surprised" this guy means "surprised" at how bad it is or "surprised" at how little there is. He also explicitly says it has nothing to do with the "conditioning" we've been speculating about.

The Kings were determined to get rid of Richards - waiving him with intention to buy out while simultaneously exploring trades.

From reports it sounds like they were close to a deal when this "information" came out and led Lombardi to believe that he could not in good faith complete a trade under the circumstances, which left either the buy out or the termination course of action.

Lombardi has publicly said he feels duped by Richards and clearly has little respect for him at this point. He said not using a compliance buyout on him was "one of the worst decisions I've made" (or something very similar).

So if it all came down to the Kings paying nearly $15M to a player to not  play for them or taking a shot at voiding the contract I can see where Lombardi came down on the "eff him" side of the equation.

Another interesting factoid, apparently Richards lives on a lake in Kenora. The lake happens to straddle the US/Canada border.

Yeah, Lake of the Woods. It would not surprise me at all if this "border incident" was on a boat. Mike is usually up that way by now.

The big question for me is does this mean that his autograph is going increase or decrease in value???  :P

....I stood in a LONG line to get it once and (as expected) he was underwhelming in person to meet unlike many of the other Flyers I have met over the years.

Archived