Prediction: Who is going to the Stanley Cup final this year?

yave1964

My pick:

Anaheim Ducks will beat the Pittsburgh Penguins for the cup.

Playoff teams:

EAST

1) Pittsburgh

2) Tampa

3) Rangers

4) Jackets

5) Habs

6) Wings

7) Capitals

8) Either the Flyers or Panthers sneak in the last spot

Surprise flop the Isles slip out of contention

WEST

1) Ducks

2) Blues

3) Wild

4) Flames

5) Hawks

6)Predators

7) Kings

8) Jets

Canucks fire coach early, have fire sale, biggest flop in the West.

What say you? Cup picks, playoff team picks? Biggest flop?

Some will think I'm certifiably crazy, but I think the Islanders play the Flames in the final. The impact of Hamilton on their transition game was something they needed to propel themselves into real contenders.....that and a full year of Gio. Islanders will build on last years playoffs...they now know what it takes to win, or are at least closer to revealing that truth.

I want to say the Kings will win it since its their turn, but I feel like this year will finally buck the trend of the Kings and Blackhawks alternating Cup wins. I think it will be the Bolts and the Ducks in the final, with Tampa winning it in 7.

My playoff teams are

Eastern Conference

1) Tampa

2) Montreal

3) Columbus

4) Washington

5) Pittsburgh

6) Islanders

7) Rangers 

8) Senators or Flyers

Western Conference

1) Los Angeles

2) Anaheim

3) Nashville

4) St. Louis

5) Chicago

6) Winnipeg

7) Calgary

8) Edmonton 

East Final: Tampa over Washington in 6.

West Final: Anaheim over Nashville in 5.

Tampa defeats Anaheim in 7 games for the Cup.

I think the biggest flop will be the Red Wings (sorry, yave). I think age finally starts to catch up with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. To be honest with you, I could see Chicago not make it if Toews, Hossa or Keith are hurt for any extended period (especially assuming they are without Kane)

@FD19372

It could happen for the Wings, of Dats, Z, Kronner, Richards and Green, if three of the five flop and the kids do not step up, it could be a long year.

@jammer2 I just do not see it from the Isles, Halak is going to get old, I still think the defense is at best ordinary and following the basic rule of what goes up must come down, the Isles will find their level competing for a low level playoff spot and fall just short. Love the kid forwards but the weaknesses are glaring and the East has caught up to the West in a lot of regards, too many good teams and I think the Isles just miss the postseason.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to say the Kings will win it since its their turn, but I feel like this year will finally buck the trend of the Kings and Blackhawks alternating Cup wins. I think it will be the Bolts and the Ducks in the final, with Tampa winning it in 7.

My playoff teams are

Eastern Conference

1) Tampa

2) Montreal

3) Columbus

4) Washington

5) Pittsburgh

6) Islanders

7) Rangers 

8) Senators or Flyers

Western Conference

1) Los Angeles

2) Anaheim

3) Nashville

4) St. Louis

5) Chicago

6) Winnipeg

7) Calgary

8) Edmonton 

East Final: Tampa over Washington in 6.

West Final: Anaheim over Nashville in 5.

Tampa defeats Anaheim in 7 games for the Cup.

I think the biggest flop will be the Red Wings (sorry, yave). I think age finally starts to catch up with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. To be honest with you, I could see Chicago not make it if Toews, Hossa or Keith are hurt for any extended period (especially assuming they are without Kane)

I've never heard this Wings fall before?

It's was when the following happened:

Yzerman retires

Federov leaves

Shanahan leaves

Lidstrom retires

Did I miss anyone???

Yzerman retires

Federov leaves

Shanahan leaves

Lidstrom retires

Did I miss anyone???

Well, to me it's the transition of the coaching change as much as it is that the team is aging.  Don't worry, I'm usually horribly wrong with my predictions.

Well, to me it's the transition of the coaching change as much as it is that the team is aging.  Don't worry, I'm usually horribly wrong with my predictions.

Heard that coaching thing about Bowman as well.  And OH (no offense) the aging thing again as well?  But you didn't discount Pittsburgh and Chicago, who are just as aged?

One more time no offense!  Success breeds contempt.

Heard that coaching thing about Bowman as well.  And OH (no offense) the aging thing again as well?  But you didn't discount Pittsburgh and Chicago, who are just as aged?

One more time no offense!  Success breeds contempt.

Pittsburgh is bound to implode with that locker room cancer Kessel, but I just don't see it happening until the playoffs.

I think Pgh scores a million points this year and then gets rolled in the playoffs.

I like Tampa VS the Wild this year, it's now or never in Minnesota and the 'ning are on the the up swing into their championship window.

Some brief thoughts:

1. Since almost everyone in the hockey world is picking Anaheim to win, the Ducks almost certainly won't win the Cup.
  2. Since nobody is expecting anything from the Blues, they will of course quietly ride through to the final while Dallas, LA, Chicago, and Anaheim disappoint.
  3. Now that Kessel has been traded to Pittsburgh, the Penguins will win the Stanley Cup. (Toronto castoff boost.)

So my Cup final prediction is: Pittsburgh Penguins vs St. Louis Blues with the Penguins winning.   :mellow:

Yzerman retires

Federov leaves

Shanahan leaves

Lidstrom retires

Did I miss anyone???

Old School!! Where ya been?

Larkin made the roster for opening day, so did the sniper Pulkinnen with a ton of kids just waiting for someone to screw up so they can take their jobs.

Transition already well under way. Again. No team in any sport has done a better job of this than the Wings.

Old School!! Where ya been?

Larkin made the roster for opening day, so did the sniper Pulkinnen with a ton of kids just waiting for someone to screw up so they can take their jobs.

Transition already well under way. Again. No team in any sport has done a better job of this than the Wings.

I've been in and out here.  Not much going until the start of the season here.

It gets bit annoying hearing/reading the same wishful thinking about the down fall of the wings.  And then when someone calls them old I know they're not watching:

Nyquist

Tatar

Abdelkader

Glendening

Larkin

Pullkinen

Sheahan

Smith

Mrazek

Ferraro

Andersson

DeKeyser

Ouellet

Jurco

All younger than 30 yet the their old stigma is still out there.

I've been in and out here.  Not much going until the start of the season here.

It gets bit annoying hearing/reading the same wishful thinking about the down fall of the wings.  And then when someone calls them old I know they're not watching:

Nyquist

Tatar

Abdelkader

Glendening

Larkin

Pullkinen

Sheahan

Smith

Mrazek

Ferraro

Andersson

DeKeyser

Ouellet

Jurco

All younger than 30 yet the their old stigma is still out there.

I get that about the Sharks all the time lol.

Archived