Flyers win verses the Rangers

Lunatic

Schenn also was 100th in the league in points. If you figure on average, the top 3 point producers for a team are going to be the 3 top line guys (a gross oversimplification, but it suffices here), that's 96 first line players. To expand:

Ryan Kesler: 81 games, 47 points

Lance Bouma: 81 games, 34 points

Brandon Saad: 82 games, 52 points

Henrik Zetterberg: 77 games, 66 points

Thomas Vanek: 82 games, 52 points

David Desharnais: 82 games, 48 points

Craig Smith: 82 games, 44 points

Ryan Strome: 81 games, 50 points

Derek Stepan: 68 games, 55 points

Bobby Ryan: 78 games, 54 points

Evgeni Malkin: 68 games, 70 points

Jaden Schwartz: 75 games, 63 points

Nikita Kucherov: 82 games, 65 points

Nick Bonino: 75 games, 39 points

Marcus Johanson: 82 games, 47 points

Mark Schiefle: 82 games, 49 points

Those are the top 2nd line(ish) guys on every playoff team last year. Only 5 (Malkin, Z, Kucherov, Schwartz, and Stepan) really blow Schenn out of the water, and not many teams are lucky enough to have a Malkin or Zetterberg on their 2nd line. Otherwise, he's right about where a 2nd liner belongs as far as production. He'd have been the top scorer on three teams last year, and 2nd on 3 more. Would it be nice to get more production out of him? Sure, but that's not the reality of the NHL.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings to All:

Friday is laundry night but watching the early start will make the folding more tolerable.  I haven't seen Gudas at all and wonder what's going on there; will he be a number 7 dude?  

For the first time since the Calder Cup days, it looks like we have a cupboard on the farm.  H-squared looks like they are taking us in a good direction.  

Peace,

Howie

Mevedev has yet to play more than 50 games in a season in his career and he's never played at this level before.

Let's just see how this 33-year-old does down the stretch and (hopefully) into the playoffs instead of deciding that he's a "must have" after two preseason games.

No need to rush on either side.

Part of me thinks it would be good to get a round or two of the playoffs for experience but the other part thinks another high pick (and maybe get another from a trade) would be better.  Then 16/17 they make the playoffs and make a decent run.  That gives them the experience and primes them for deep runs 17/18 - 20/21.   

My crystal ball is clear this morning

i've been going 'round with @flyercanuck about the value of making the playoffs vs getting another high draft pick, Brayden illustrates my point pretty well. Here this guy is the #5 pick and he's the most frequently mentioned tradeable Flyer, in his 5th year in the league, even the high draft picks are still a crap shoot.  it's a good thing he was only really relied upon last year for his production you know ?that didn't go so well, it didn't go badly but he didn't rise to the level necessary to help the team make the playoffs.

Well Schenn has had a better career than Scott Glennie, orJared Cowen or MPS or Ryan Ellis or Calvin dehaan or Zach Kassian or Peter Holland or David Runblad or Louis Leblanc or Chris Kreider or Jacob Josefson or John Moore or Jordan Schroeder or Tim Erixon or Jordan Caron or Kyle Palmeiri or Phillip Paradis or Dylan Olsen or Carter Ashton or Simon Despres...all taken after him in the 1st round. So I'd say it was better to pick high in that draft as it is in most.

And blaming one of the younger players who got shuffled all over the place for the Flyers missing the playoffs is just dead wrong. Vinnie was a way bigger factor. Umberger. The D. 

Well Schenn has had a better career than Scott Glennie, orJared Cowen or MPS or Ryan Ellis or Calvin dehaan or Zach Kassian or Peter Holland or David Runblad or Louis Leblanc or Chris Kreider or Jacob Josefson or John Moore or Jordan Schroeder or Tim Erixon or Jordan Caron or Kyle Palmeiri or Phillip Paradis or Dylan Olsen or Carter Ashton or Simon Despres...all taken after him in the 1st round. So I'd say it was better to pick high in that draft as it is in most.

And blaming one of the younger players who got shuffled all over the place for the Flyers missing the playoffs is just dead wrong. Vinnie was a way bigger factor. Umberger. The D. 

i'm beginning to realize you will never see the point i'm trying to make here and that's fine.

I'm not "blaming" Brayden Schenn for anything.  He illustrates  my point that draft picks are a crap shoot, even when they're taken as high as #5.  

I've acknowledged the dead weight and am a pretty regular Brayden Schenn defender, in fact on the previous page of this thread, I have said i don't think i'd want to trade him, and that he's a good player he's just not equal to the hype he came to our team with.  

Getting even the #5 pick in a draft guarantees nothing. so why the hell would you rather have that, than  a group of good players getting experience in the playoffs.

@mojo1917

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

“Brayden? Brayden, I think he’s been OK,” Hextall said.

And when asked about Laughton....

“I think Scott’s had a good camp all the way through and I like his consistency in the way he’s performed,” Hakstol said.

Hextall was more emphatic.

“I think Scotty showed us quite a bit,” Hextall said. “I like what I’ve seen from Scotty, he’s a hungry player, and he’s absolutely worked his butt off.

“He, to my knowledge, is in the best shape that I’ve seen him in and he’s making a good impression. He’s obviously got work to do, but what I’ve seen I’ve liked.”

Hhhhhmmmm strange one gets a quick nothing special comment the other a much more drawn out glowing comment...strange indeed...something will happen soon I think...

Obviously we're missing about 9/10ths of what you need to know but going by what we've seen on the ice the past 4 seasons I think trading BSchenn before Christmas has "gave up too soon" written all over it. I doubt anything is in the works right now.

I'm pulling for Laughton as much as anyone but BSchenn needs (+ deserves) a shot with a coach who doesn't change his line mates every other night. It's up to him alone to produce, to work harder w/out the puck but the stuff that's out of his control he's had to fight uphill most of the way.

Everybody expects this is Schenn's breakout year...by Christmas we'll know whether it is or it isn't.

Hhhhhmmmm strange one gets a quick nothing special comment the other a much more drawn out glowing comment...strange indeed...something will happen soon I think...

Hakstol didn't really have anything great to say about Schenn either... 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150925_Flyers_trim_roster_to_29.html

Brayden Schenn continued to skate with Scott Laughton and Chris Porter, while Colin McDonald and Nick Cousins were the extra skaters. Hextall said Schenn was playing "OK" and Hakstol said he could "become more complete" in some areas.

i'm beginning to realize you will never see the point i'm trying to make here and that's fine.

I'm not "blaming" Brayden Schenn for anything.  He illustrates  my point that draft picks are a crap shoot, even when they're taken as high as #5.  

I've acknowledged the dead weight and am a pretty regular Brayden Schenn defender, in fact on the previous page of this thread, I have said i don't think i'd want to trade him, and that he's a good player he's just not equal to the hype he came to our team with.  

Getting even the #5 pick in a draft guarantees nothing. so why the hell would you rather have that, than  a group of good players getting experience in the playoffs.

It's not about "rather having that"...it's about reality. That's what the other thread you referred to is about. My stand over there is that Philly just isn't good enough yet to make the playoffs (due to still having a couple or three bad contracts they need to get rid of and a D that needs vast improvement- something they've already started to remedy) The other teams who already were ahead of us made either as many or more additions to their teams to make it even more difficult.

So my "reality" is that we may miss postseason once again, but hopefully pick up another key piece or two....which is also easier to do if you pick higher. No, it isn't 100%. But even in the case of Schenn who was picked high and may not have met his projected level yet, he's STILL better than almost everyone picked after him in that round. So in other words...a good pick.

Reality isn't what I'd rather....I mean I'd rather we got McDavid last draft, the reality is we got two pretty damn good pieces. And I'd bet the farm going forward that Provorov has a larger part making the team better than any short-lived playoff run would have last year. That isn't the same as me saying I don't want Philly making the playoffs.

Would you rather have Schenn playing with Laughton or Lecavalier?

I'm less concerned about who he plays with than putting him in the right area of the lineup. He's a 18-20 goal guy, 47 points.

There were exactly 4 players with more points than him last year - Voracek, Giroux, Streit, and Simmonds.

I admit that I am not a Brayden Schenn fan - but I also understand that regardless of the flaws or inconsistency in his game, the guy has produced well for a 23 year old. Heck, those are decent numbers for a player of any age. I think it was KK or OR that pointed out he was 100th in the NHL last year, which places him on average in the top 3-4 on any given team.

It's really puzzling.

Eh no real mystery with BSCHENN: if you routinely disappear during games and go stretches turning into weeks without playing aggressive, committed-to-winning-ur-shift hockey that's what you get, a decent even a good season production along with a slew of disappointed fans who were told he was a world-beater.

47 pts is not nothing but his flashes of brilliance tease and hint at a player capable of 60+ pts and a threat whenever he takes the ice. I don't know maybe he's got it in him, maybe not but I'd like to find out this year. Hopefully Hakstol and the coaches give him as much help as they can.

Eh no real mystery with BSCHENN: if you routinely disappear during games and go stretches turning into weeks without playing aggressive, committed-to-winning-ur-shift hockey that's what you get, a decent even a good season production along with a slew of disappointed fans who were told he was a world-beater.

47 pts is not nothing but his flashes of brilliance tease and hint at a player capable of 60+ pts and a threat whenever he takes the ice. I don't know maybe he's got it in him, maybe not but I'd like to find out this year. Hopefully Hakstol and the coaches give him as much help as they can.

this , nicely said

Hakstol didn't really have anything great to say about Schenn either... 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150925_Flyers_trim_roster_to_29.html

Brayden Schenn continued to skate with Scott Laughton and Chris Porter, while Colin McDonald and Nick Cousins were the extra skaters. Hextall said Schenn was playing "OK" and Hakstol said he could "become more complete" in some areas.

from their comments.. you just get the feeling that their mind was made up before camp. It just seems like they have a plan in place for Brayden and don't wanna be overly negative or positive in their comments until what happens happens. Honestly, I thought Schenn played a much better game than Laughton in Brooklyn earlier this week. If you mentioned these comments and asked me to guess which player they were about, I would have said Laughton. 

In other words... something's up. 

I hate trying to read into coaches' or GMs' comments particularly during camp but it sure sounds like they're (Hex/Hak) going out of their way to reveal nothing about their plans for or their impressions of BSchenn.

But I have to ask...if your plan is to trade him don't you talk him up as much as possible? Without appearing ridiculous don't you tell the world what a great camp he's having, what an important player he is to the team, etc.?

Archived