Game #4 - Hawks at Flyers - Oct 14 2015 - 8:00 (Timonen night)

brelic

Heckuva game last night. They won, which is awesome, but even taking out the homer glasses, the game itself was really entertaining. Awesome pace, great chances for both teams, great goaltending on both sides.

The biggest difference I notice through the first four games for the Flyers is how the defensemen are pinching and challenging the offensive breakout. More often than not, they either keep the play alive in the offensive zone or disrupt the breakout enough that the forwards are all back and they stand tall at the blueline, creating a wall that prevents easy carry-ins. Big difference from last year. And in the three games I've watched, it has paid off. I watched 6:30 minutes of the 7-1 loss and that was enough (down 0-4).

EDIT: And how HUGE was that shorthanded stop on Hossa? A few minutes later we score to make it 2-0, instead of 1-1.

defense has been very good... you can see the difference in play b/c they are not backing into the zone which was a fatal flaw of Berubes team.  I also think that is why there is a 5M contract sitting in Allentown.   This team is playing hungry and they appear to really be buying into Hak's system.  Pleasantly surprised!

I thought Gudas looked so-so in the preseason games but he needs to stay in the lineup.   He is a mean mo-fo back there and really brings the nasty.  All in all this Team is really looking like they can compete.  Let's hope it stays that way and they could end up surprising Teams in the East.   I know it is early but all indications point to the Flyers being hungry...   refreshing as hell.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that is why there is a 5M contract sitting in Allentown.  

Completely agreed. I don't think his play is worthy of a roster spot on the Flyers. He plays a very timid and tentative game. I felt that way about Coburn too.

I thought Gudas looked so-so in the preseason games but he needs to stay in the lineup.

I agree with this too - though I did think Luke played a very solid game against Tampa. Any reason why he was scratched? Either way, both players seem to have a similar skill level and style of play, but I would give the slight edge to Gudas so far.

I find Manning to be getting stronger with each game too.

I did think Luke played a very solid game against Tampa. Any reason why he was scratched?

I think he had a minor upper body thing? Can't remember where I saw that...

It's nice to have some defensive depth, no?

:D

No, healthy scratch. Had to be his play against Florida, I thought he looked fine against TB, didn't see the first Panthers game.

I  know it was listed as a healthy scratch - "could have gone" - but maybe on the broadcast they said something about a minor thing?

The -3 vs. Florida obviously didn't help.

:thumbsu:

This... he was outstanding last night.

I know that there's quite a bit of excitement around Morin, Gostisbehere, Hagg, Sanheim and Provorov, but gut feeling is that Del Zotto is the veteran that's kept around. His game has taken a complete 180 turn. I'm so happy for the guy. I met him in London where he was training when he was signed by the Flyers and he said that this was his last chance and he was willing to do whatever it took to be a complete player. Glad to see gre took to his own words.

And Sean Couturier looks like a completely different player. His skating is better, he seems to be more physical now and he looks more confident in the offensive zone.

So that's at least two distinct observations that his skating does indeed look to be better. Good news. Other players should also read this forum :P  

It's way too early to be planning the parade. The Flyers' record will settle back to a place more commensurate with their skill level.

I would be satisfied if they just beat the Rangers! At least the Flyers aren't underachieving like the Pens!

I would be satisfied if they just beat the Rangers! At least the Flyers aren't underachieving like the Pens! 

Sure, but I'm more interested in how they are playing then their record. If I was a Pens fan, I'd be concerned I guess, because they haven't looked very good apparently. No chemistry etc. That's more concerning than the actual record. 

Sure, but I'm more interested in how they are playing then their record. If I was a Pens fan, I'd be concerned I guess, because they haven't looked very good apparently. No chemistry etc. That's more concerning than the actual record.

So true and that's the nice thing about our coach, he wants that to be a guage for our play.

How are we playing away from the puck and with the puck, it's refreshing to have him focus on inculcating that belief to each player and giving clear communication of what exactly he wants each player to do, as well as each player understanding fully what their role is and how he empowers them to play.

So true and that's the nice thing about our coach, he wants that to be a guage for our play.

How are we playing away from the puck and with the puck, it's refreshing to have him focus on inculcating that belief to each player and giving clear communication of what exactly he wants each player to do, as well as each player understanding fully what their role is and how he empowers them to play. 

I wish I saw the game last night. It sounds like the signs of a puck pressure/puck support team is taking shape. Still, it's early. Maybe the 7-1 drubbing by Florida was the best thing to happen.

It sounds like the signs of a puck pressure/puck support team is taking shape

That was my impression. I thought they had good structure in all three zones. In the offensive zone they kept moving and it seemed like everyone knew where everyone else was supposed to be. Some nice quick passes to move the puck around and create openings. Good defensive posture in their own zone, they generally kept the Hawks away from Neuvirth and did a good job in transition. Like you say, it's early but it was encouraging.

1.04 gaa 964% tied with Jones for most shutouts with 2

Does anyone know what San Jose gave up for Jones?  I really wanted that kid.  Looks like he's proving me right.

Not that I'm not happy with what we've got... but Jones just looked like the real deal to me.

Does anyone know what San Jose gave up for Jones?  I really wanted that kid.  Looks like he's proving me right.

Not that I'm not happy with what we've got... but Jones just looked like the real deal to me.

They gave up a first in 2016 and a B level prospect for him. 

Archived