Devils Steal Taylor Hall for Larsson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, off_the_post said:

Anyway, I didn't know Chiarelli and Milbury were related. 

That explain a lot!  They must share the dumb part of their brains together.....

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

How in gods name did the Devils get Hall for only Larsson. How did Hextall allow this to happen? We should have been in on that deal

this is the exact same question I had... how the hell could this have been made?   I would have offered MDZ and Hagg at least...   

23 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

this is the exact same question I had... how the hell could this have been made?   I would have offered MDZ and Hagg at least...   

It certainly doesn't appear that the Oil were shopping Hall in an effort to get a RH D-man even for the purposes of getting a better deal. This deal is still a stunner for me. I just don't get how they could not get more for Hall...

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

It certainly doesn't appear that the Oil were shopping Hall in an effort to get a RH D-man even for the purposes of getting a better deal. This deal is still a stunner for me. I just don't get how they could not get more for Hall...

I am at a total loss on this one.   It must really stink to be an Oilers fan!   

I would also love to know how this deal went down.   Did the Oilers contact NJ or vice-versa... it makes no sense.

So let me get this straight so Chiarelli has traded Hall and Seguin for...

OUT:

Seguin

Hall

Peverly

Button

IN:

Eriksson

Larsson

Smith

Fraser

Morrow

What robbed...for sure.

From the sound of it, Edmonton was going hard after Larsson and Shero wouldn't budge, then he threw Hall out there and Chiarelli finally caved. My guess would be he was offering somebody like RNH or Eberle instead. It would also explain why other teams weren't in on Hall.

Since becoming Devils GM, Shero has added Palmieri, who scored 30 goals last year, and now Hall, for the price of Larsson, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick. The man knows how to trade.

I just hope his drafting (particularly of forwards) is better than it was in Pittsburgh.

2 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Since becoming Devils GM, Shero has added Palmieri, who scored 30 goals last year, and now Hall, for the price of Larsson, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick. The man knows how to trade.

I just hope his drafting (particularly of forwards) is better than it was in Pittsburgh.

Actually, we're learning his drafting was much better than we originally thought.  A Stanley Cup this year with a LOT of Shero's picks weighing in.  

Murray, Rust, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, Wilson and Bennet all factored in.  Other draft picks traded into Kessel, Lovejoy and Cole just off the top of my head.  Plus the signing undrafted Sheary...  

Shero's fingerprints are on this Cup too. 

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Per Eilliotte  Friedman: "Kevin Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension in Edmonton, otherwise, Taylor Hall would be a Blue next season."

Thank you Shattenkirk.:cool[1]:

It is an interesting aspect of the trade. Given that impact players don't exactly flock to Edmonton, it limits what they can do. They pretty much either had to get somebody young they could control for several years, or somebody who actually wants to stay. There aren't exactly a lot of top 4 RHD around the league that fit those requirements.

14 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Thank you Shattenkirk.:cool[1]:

It is an interesting aspect of the trade. Given that impact players don't exactly flock to Edmonton, it limits what they can do. They pretty much either had to get somebody young they could control for several years, or somebody who actually wants to stay. There aren't exactly a lot of top 4 RHD around the league that fit those requirements.

From everything I've read, it's a pretty short list of places that Kevin Shattenkirk is interested in going to, because he and his wife want to move back closer to home in New York. I think that some of the verbal around the trade has become a bit silly, and people talk like the Oilers traded Taylor Hall for a net or a bag of pucks. Ironically enough, some of the same folks now calling Hall elite are the same ones who thought he was Canada's 9th best choice at LW for the national team (which is preposterous). The Oilers ended up with a good hockey player; one who was given a massive task and succeeded on all levels.

Larsson wasn't first choice, but he's still a good one, and one which addresses a gaping hole, even if the Oilers clearly gave up too much.

30 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

From everything I've read, it's a pretty short list of places that Kevin Shattenkirk is interested in going to, because he and his wife want to move back closer to home in New York. I think that some of the verbal around the trade has become a bit silly, and people talk like the Oilers traded Taylor Hall for a net or a bag of pucks. Ironically enough, some of the same folks now calling Hall elite are the same ones who thought he was Canada's 9th best choice at LW for the national team (which is preposterous). The Oilers ended up with a good hockey player; one who was given a massive task and succeeded on all levels.

Larsson wasn't first choice, but he's still a good one, and one which addresses a gaping hole, even if the Oilers clearly gave up too much.

I am one of the bigger Larsson supporters around. i think I argued with Yave about how good he might become a few times.

But I still think Devils should have added. lol

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, murraycraven said:
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, Bertmega said:

I would have went as far to give up anyone of the prospects (less Provorov) and any roster player (less Giroux) for hall. 

I was thinking the same thing.  I'd even give up Ghost and a pick  for a player like Hall.

2 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I'd even give up Ghost and a pick  for a player like Hall.

Don't be absurd.

And I am not even a Flyers fan and I think the Oilers got robbed for Hall. 46 points is an excellent point total for any defenseman in the NHL. And Ghost did it in 64 games. Over 82 games he might have cracked 65 points, and that puts him in the elite offensive Dman category IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

Defensemen who can contribute at that level are ten times harder to acquire or find than forwards who produce at Hall's level. Ghost is arguably the next Karlsson and you only give him up if you are getting one of the other top 5 skaters in the NHL back

I think the Flyers would have been silly to trade Ghost for Hall even-up, but I would also be very surprised if Ghost could continue shooting at twice the percentage of Erik Karlsson or for the Flyers to get 60% of the goals while having 50% of the possession. History has shown these things to be unsustainable, and this will affect his numbers going forward. I'm not having a go at him; he has all the skill in the world, but I just think that expectations should be slightly tempered with him until the at bats pile up a bit more.

As of now, he would have to continue to have the same shooting percentages that Paul Coffey put up in the 80s for the goals to come at the same rate, and that seems a tall order.

19 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Don't be absurd.

And I am not even a Flyers fan and I think the Oilers got robbed for Hall. 46 points is an excellent point total for any defenseman in the NHL. And Ghost did it in 64 games. Over 82 games he might have cracked 65 points, and that puts him in the elite offensive Dman category IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

Defensemen who can contribute at that level are ten times harder to acquire or find than forwards who produce at Hall's level. Ghost is arguably the next Karlsson and you only give him up if you are getting one of the other top 5 skaters in the NHL back

Let's see what kind of sophomore season Ghostie has before we put him in the HHOF.  The Flyers have two other guys that just might do the exact same stuff Ghost does AND play some defense.  Ghost's upside is another Eric Karlsson.  He ain't there or even close yet.  I'm not convinced he is anywhere as durable or strong.  He wore down considerably as the season went on.  Hopefully he will bulk up a bit, but at 23 he probably won't get much bigger.  I think Provolone and Sanheim could more than fill the void if he had been dealt.  Would you really want to have half your d-core cheating up ice?  Two offensive defensemen would be more than enough.  There are plenty of other bodies in the system to fill out the blue line.

Wait until Taylor Hall starts filling the net as he speeds past the pinching Flyers defensive group.  I'll put his skating up against Ghost any day.

But in any case, this whole argument is moot.  What's done is done.

39 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Wait until Taylor Hall starts filling the net as he speeds past the pinching Flyers defensive group.  I'll put his skating up against Ghost any day.

Skating is probably a wash. Ghost can skate with anyone. 

Hall is bigger and stronger, I am not looking forward to having to play against that guy 6 times a year that is for sure.

I think Rejean Shero is building a nice team in East Rutherford.  That sucks.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Skating is probably a wash. Ghost can skate with anyone. 

Hall is bigger and stronger, I am not looking forward to having to play against that guy 6 times a year that is for sure.

I think Rejean Shero is building a nice team in East Rutherford.  That sucks.

Except McDavid, who skates like Bobby Orr 

Archived