Sam Gagner now Columbus' problem

mojo1917

Just saw that Gagner signed with CBJ for $625 one year. wow...the H & H boys weren't really "in" on him at all were they ? That's pretty cheap what must the negotiations been like,

SG's agent : So Sam's willing to sign in Philly for 800k$ this year, what do you think ?

Hextall: - Sorry , we don't see fit at that number.

SG's Agent: how about 700k$

Hextall: let's save each other some time here...we don't see a fit no matter the number...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-sam-gagner-close-signing-blue-jackets/

So I reckon there is a forward spot that could be won by a youngster.  

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Well, you have (lines just for organization):

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds

Raffl - Couturier - Voracek

Laughton - Cousins - Weise

Read - Gordon - Bellemare

Vandevelde - Weal

There's always a chance that a youngster could beat out anyone on the club, but there's not really an open spot.

@AJgoal

you're right.

BTW those combinations look decent to me.  

i wonder if Hakstol will separate G and V ?

That looks like team that won't be so easy to play against either.  

So the Gagner situation was truly a GTFO scenario wasn't it.  

Was Gagner just not a hard worker at practice?   I don't think he was tremendous on defense or anything, but he also didn't stand out to me in a bad way line Nedved used to. 

Did he to you? I probably would have signed him for that and sat Read.  Maybe not. Just throwing that out there. 

I can't say it mattered to me whether he stayed or went. 

@ruxpin

everything i've read about Gagner while he was a Flyer said he was a good teammate, a professional, and good bloke.  

I just don't think his game, perimeter with speed and not much grit will make Fonzi a believer or a fan.

I would rather have him in the lineup than Read too.  I thought he was alright,  I liked that he had some wicked hands.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@ruxpin

everything i've read about Gagner while he was a Flyer said he was a good teammate, a professional, and good bloke.  

I just don't think his game, perimeter with speed and not much grit will make Fonzi a believer or a fan.

I would rather have him in the lineup than Read too.  I thought he was alright,  I liked that he had some wicked hands.

I agree with your take on him, but have never heard him described as fast very many times. I used to be amused when Dustin Penner would haul ass past him.

@ruxpin

Hit the nail on the head (there ya go, a career in carpentry awaits!)...

With the current state of the Flyers, whether Gagner was a good teammate or not, I would imagine the Flyers would WANT some prospect or other younger player to step up.

There is a very good chance the Flyers miss the playoffs this year...not saying they are, but they are the definition of borderline playoff team.

Philly is still doing their rebuild, have some nice pieces, have some contracts still to get rid of in the coming seasons, and it behooves the franchise to see where all their pieces fit and which DON'T fit.

Sam Gagner, at this stage in his career and at this stage in the Flyers' development cycle, doesn't make much of a difference to the team whether he is there or not.

Obviously, the Flyers are going to try and win and make the playoffs this year, and I am sure Ron Hextall and Dave Hakstol expect that kind of effort from everyone on the team, but the reality is, the bigger picture says they need to make sure they have the RIGHT guys in place if and when this team is really ready to make a meaningful playoff and Cup run.

This should be great with Fonzi behind the bench.

Honestly, if Gagner has not figured this out by now he never will.  The guy has skill but just can't put it together night in and night out.   I am glad the Flyers were not willing to bring him back.  Don't feel bad for Sam as he goes home to this - and she is a Dr:

dr-rachel-linke-doctor-nhl-wife.png

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@ruxpin

Yeah but the thing with Read even though his scoring is down he plays in both zones and that is what Hak's system is predicated on...a 200 foot game...and Gagner would commit in the offensive zone but when he got back in the defensive zone he just wasn't committed.

It was also were White struggled as well and both scored goals but their games nose dived in their own end....and was mainly the reason they were shown the door.

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Just saw that Gagner signed with CBJ for $625 one year. wow...the H & H boys weren't really "in" on him at all were they ? That's pretty cheap what must the negotiations been like,

SG's agent : So Sam's willing to sign in Philly for 800k$ this year, what do you think ?

Hextall: - Sorry , we don't see fit at that number.

SG's Agent: how about 700k$

Hextall: let's save each other some time here...we don't see a fit no matter the number...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-sam-gagner-close-signing-blue-jackets/

I'm actually surprised they wouldn't have signed him for that much.  That's a damn bargain and a half.  Gagner really helped the team... Just not to the tune of what he was making. Under a million? Why the hell not?  His shootout presence alone was worth what he Just signed for. 

BTW, we still don't have anyone who can help there unless Konex makes the team and who knows what that'll even mean.  It's a big deal. Lots of points ceded for a bubble team that can't afford them. 

10 hours ago, murraycraven said:

This should be great with Fonzi behind the bench.

Honestly, if Gagner has not figured this out by now he never will.  The guy has skill but just can't put it together night in and night out.   I am glad the Flyers were not willing to bring him back.  Don't feel bad for Sam as he goes home to this - and she is a Dr:

dr-rachel-linke-doctor-nhl-wife.png

First world problems x 6.022 x 10^23

I think the Flyers want to give the coach the quallity of players he wants to coach.

Open Vacancy:

Looking for said player who can be a: Plus Skater, Highly competitive, Self starter, Able to take direction, Disciplined,

Able to play a 200 foot game, Able to take on various side positions (left or right), Ability to make plays on a semi regular basis,

willing to shoot is preferred and highly desirable buy not mandatory.

Tenacity is a plus.

Once they have the periphery players intact for a year or two, at that time they might take the Gone Wild series and pick up a costly free agent.

They are trying to build from the Net on out. and have accomplished this tentatively through drafts and are following it up with forwards now.

The "also acquired an extra player in a trade" is a small gamble the organization is willing to take for a year or two to see if they can use that piece on the rebuild.

Possible known good extra part.

I think if Gagner and White were genetically combined or had a hockey baby offspring, I think their lack of a 200 ft. game skill would of been overlooked a bit as they both have stated they wanted to get better in that department.

Maybe that hockey baby is Weise.

Gagner was never in this team's plan for the future. We swapped an abundant defenseman (Grossmann) for a forward. The only reason why we didn't buy him out last summer was because we weren't in dire need for cap space. Gagner wasn't good, but he wasn't bad. Hope he cna find his game in Columbus.

Archived