MDZ out 5 weeks

Samifan

Wow that really sucks for him...with all the time he missed last season he must've been raring to go this year. Now he's out again. Can't remember what he injured last year...hope it's not the same.

8 minutes ago, canoli said:

Wow that really sucks for him...with all the time he missed last season he must've been raring to go this year. Now he's out again. Can't remember what he injured last year...hope it's not the same.

I think it was his wrist last season. It's a contract year for him so I am sure he was hoping to have a big year.

Being down two D-men and starting the season out West, the Flyers will likely have to put MDZ on LTIR and recall someone for the road trip. It will be interesting to see if it's Morin that gets Hexy's call.

Boy, the Injury Gods are playing a hand early on.  I think we see two youngins stay up.  Our hats have to go off to Pryor and staff for their draft prowess. . . . About the only reason I can think for not keeping them is a desire not to start the ELC earlier than planned. 

I suspect we still need to trim cap space.  I suspect VDV and the Rooskie go.  But thinking out of the box, what might happen if Mac goes down....we can only save $950K but he isn't going to get claimed (unfortunately). On the other hand, Lyubmivov (or whatever...as long as he isn't a Communist) may be a useful addition from what folks say.  By the same token...Read....another possible out-of-the-box waiver.  Same 950K savings limit but for all we know....he is destined for the expansion draft. 

Who knows, maybe our esteemed GM is working the phones for an early season trade....Streit looks damn good....

Monday at 5 will be an interesting deadline.  

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I think it wss his wrist last year. Sounds like something different. 

That blows. 

If they're terming it "lower body" and it's actually the wrist, they're either confused about anatomy, or MDZ had his wrist somewhere embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If they're terming it "lower body" and it's actually the wrist, they're either confused about anatomy, or MDZ had his wrist somewhere embarrassing.

Or the Flyers still have McCrossin on the staff.

They said it was Del Zotto's left knee. It's either a deep bone bruise or a strained ligament. Either way, 4 to 5 weeks isn't that bad. It will probably be 8 to 10 games at the most. The defense should be able to hold up until then. Provorov officially becomes the number one defender. How crazy is that.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov officially becomes the number one defender. How crazy is that.

pretty crazy alright - this will be an interesting and exciting year for the Flyers esp if Konecny makes the team. I hope he does.

Remember how everyone wanted to trade our extra defenseman before the season even started?

I expected injuries, but not before the season even started 

So heading into the season opener, assuming we don't have any more injuries, we've got: Streit, MacDonald, Gudas, Schultz, Gostisbehere and Provorov. I guess Brennan will be recalled to be the 7th.

7 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Remember how everyone wanted to trade our extra defenseman before the season even started?

I expected injuries, but not before the season even started 

So heading into the season opener, assuming we don't have any more injuries, we've got: Streit, MacDonald, Gudas, Schultz, Gostisbehere and Provorov. I guess Brennan will be recalled to be the 7th.

From reports i saw Manning will be the 7th guy and will make the West coast trip. Buy that is subject to change i guess. 

Here's an illustration of why the Flyers have a shot at being a better club this year: depth.  They lost arguably their best defenseman for a month and their defensive line up is still solid.  

Archived