Sid concussed ... again

BluPuk

Very sorry to hear that Sid is out with a concussion again, apparently brought on by some occurance at practice? I sure hope he's OK, but maybe he ought to consider not coming back for safety reasons. This will be his third official concussion.

What a shame. When these things happen, we all lose. 

This is make or break the Penguins imo. 

If Crosby doesn't play this season I'd put a lot of doubt in the Penguins making the playoffs.

One has to wonder if he got dinged also in the World Cup.

Wasn't it actually neck problems and not a concussion that was misdiagnosed for a long period of time that caused him problems? Everyone now tries to err on the side of caution with their diagnosis so as not to become "that guy" that ended someone's chance of a decent  post game life.

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Wasn't it actually neck problems and not a concussion that was misdiagnosed for a long period of time that caused him problems? Everyone now tries to err on the side of caution with their diagnosis so as not to become "that guy" that ended someone's chance of a decent  post game life.

Yeah, the last instance was a soft tissue problem that was causing concussion symptoms.

Sullivan was apparently not happy with the number of goals given up by the pens and apparently doing some battle drills.  Wonder if something happened in the rougher drills. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Yeah, the last instance was a soft tissue problem that was causing concussion symptoms.

Sullivan was apparently not happy with the number of goals given up by the pens and apparently doing some battle drills.  Wonder if something happened in the rougher drills. 

This is a first for me but I'm calling conspiracy here. All of the media who were at the practice don't recall seeing anything alarming happening to Sid. I would like to think that the Pens do all they can to minimize any risk to him in practice...especially before the season even starts.  I'd have to believe that something happened during the World Cup and the Pens (at the behest of the NHL) are keeping it under wraps by going on record that something happened in practice.  

If the (arguably) best player in the world with a known concussion history was concussed again at the World Cup you can kiss that tournament goodbye. 

If he is concussed, I recommend he sits out the entire season :cool[1]:                                 

In in all seriousness, he's young, rich, won Stanley cups and Olympic medals. Not much more needed if anything to cement his legacy. Take your time and get healthy Sid.

16 minutes ago, Samifan said:

If he is concussed, I recommend he sits out the entire season :cool[1]:                                 

In in all seriousness, he's young, rich, won Stanley cups and Olympic medals. Not much more needed if anything to cement his legacy. Take your time and get healthy Sid.

Wouldn't blame him one bit if he took extra time just to be safe or even if he hung 'em up for good. This is a "house money" year for the Pens.

The NHL can't keep the simplest of player transactions away from the press, but they're successfully in the midst of a conspiracy for at least the last 3 weeks to keep the World Cup concussion of the best player in the world under wraps? I can't buy that; the people running that show simply aren't capable of getting slim-fitting pants for goalies, let alone this. I realize that this fits a narrative which goes along with some people's hate of the tournament, but it just doesn't wash.

The most likely explanation is that he was injured in practice, even if the doctors masquerading as journalists didn't see anything which set off their concussion alarms.

Let alone the liability they would assume had they known and he'd been allowed to practice while concussed.

It's possible that he suffered the concussion in the tournament and didn't present with symptoms until Saturday morning, but it'd be difficult to diagnose a when if that is what actually happened (ie, assuming it happened on Friday doesn't mean they're lying - and that is a pretty long time). Scary part is that a concussion apparently doesn't actually need impact to the head. Certain motions can impart one, especially on someone with a history.

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

This is make or break the Penguins imo. 

If Crosby doesn't play this season I'd put a lot of doubt in the Penguins making the playoffs.

One has to wonder if he got dinged also in the World Cup.

This.  ^^^  I think he was injured during the World Cup.  

This tournament just can't work in its existing format. How do you sell to fans the notion that your best player is injured before the season even begins? 

I think the Penguins still make the playoffs with or without Crosby because of their talent and depth, but not much more than that unless he's there.  

18 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This.  ^^^  I think he was injured during the World Cup.  

This tournament just can't work in its existing format. How do you sell to fans the notion that your best player is injured before the season even begins? 

I think the Penguins still make the playoffs with or without Crosby because of their talent and depth, but not much more than that unless he's there.  

Again, you're making the injury fit an existing bias you come in with. You have no reason to be sure he was injured there; only a desire to see the tournament done with, and have latched on to this.

18 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Again, you're making the injury fit an existing bias you come in with. You have no reason to be sure he was injured there; only a desire to see the tournament done with, and have latched on to this.

Move sat in where the Pens team docs teach a concussion class and make it quite clear that concussion symptoms can often take days to develop.  The USA Hockey Safe Sport training and US Center for Disease Control's Heads Up Training state this is quite common and often develop as a result of practices or other physical exertion well after the actual impact causing the damage...

So it's not ridiculous.  In fact, he's the most watched player in any practice and reports are nobody hit him or caused any whiplash incidents.  Nothing was seen that appeared to cause issue.  So is it speculation?  Sure, but it seems at least just as likely as speculating that he wasn't.  

3 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Move sat in where the Pens team docs teach a concussion class and make it quite clear that concussion symptoms can often take days to develop.  The USA Hockey Safe Sport training and US Center for Disease Control's Heads Up Training state this is quite common and often develop as a result of practices or other physical exertion well after the actual impact causing the damage...

So it's not ridiculous.  In fact, he's the most watched player in any practice and reports are nobody hit him or caused any whiplash incidents.  Nothing was seen that appeared to cause issue.  So is it speculation?  Sure, but it seems at least just as likely as speculating that he wasn't.  

He himself decried this.  I just read it while searching his condition for other reasons.

That said, I smell a skunk.   And everyone here knows I have nothing against the World Cup.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

2 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

What I'm saying is ridiculous is the idea of a plot being cooked up, involving all sorts of tall foreheads around the NHL, conspiring to keep a concussion to the best player in the world under wraps. These guys can't make a left turn without going right, but they can pull this one off? It beggars belief.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

These guys can't make a left turn without going right

That's certainly a fair point.

It's not like it's the Flyers...who have kept Kate Smith's death a secret for 30 years.

7 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

What I'm saying is ridiculous is the idea of a plot being cooked up, involving all sorts of tall foreheads around the NHL, conspiring to keep a concussion to the best player in the world under wraps. These guys can't make a left turn without going right, but they can pull this one off? It beggars belief.

The Penguins keep player injuries under wrap all season long.  Nobody knew about Malkin's elbow or Kessel's need for surgery until after the Cup was won.  Keeping this quiet for a few days wouldn't be that large of a challenge.  

Nobody is is claiming he's the third shooter, just that it may be an effort by the NHL to protect the tournament.  There were a few injuries this year and his would draw a lot of attention. 

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

The NHL can't keep the simplest of player transactions away from the press, but they're successfully in the midst of a conspiracy for at least the last 3 weeks to keep the World Cup concussion of the best player in the world under wraps? I can't buy that; the people running that show simply aren't capable of getting slim-fitting pants for goalies, let alone this. I realize that this fits a narrative which goes along with some people's hate of the tournament, but it just doesn't wash.

The most likely explanation is that he was injured in practice, even if the doctors masquerading as journalists didn't see anything which set off their concussion alarms.

I'm indifferent on the World Cup so I don't have a horse in that race.  That said - I think it's far more likely "something" happened there during an actual hockey game versus a Pens' pre-season practice.  Besides, the NHL has had an anti-Flyers, pro-Pens conspiracy going on for years and has managed to keep it under wraps. :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

14 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

The Penguins keep player injuries under wrap all season long.  Nobody knew about Malkin's elbow or Kessel's need for surgery until after the Cup was won.  Keeping this quiet for a few days wouldn't be that large of a challenge.  

Nobody is is claiming he's the third shooter, just that it may be an effort by the NHL to protect the tournament.  There were a few injuries this year and his would draw a lot of attention. 

Some day we'll agree on something. IMO, it's far more likely that Crosby hurt himself in practice or pre-season, than it was likely that a cover-up occurred in an effort to protect the World Cup. Until then, we're in the agree-to-disagree stage of things.

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Some day we'll agree on something. IMO, it's far more likely that Crosby hurt himself in practice or pre-season, than it was likely that a cover-up occurred in an effort to protect the World Cup. Until then, we're in the agree-to-disagree stage of things.

I might buy that more if someone who was at the practices saw a hit somewhere that could've prompted it.  Fact is people who were there have claimed he never even so much as skated roughly into the boards let alone took a hit.  I just think there would've been something people could say "oh... Maybe that was it" about.  

Not it saying you're wrong just that there's a 70/30 chance it was World Cup action in my mind thanks to that absence. 

5 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

I agree with @B21 ...  World Cup damage.  And it pisses me off.  

though I enjoyed the world cup to a point...i was thinking along the same lines.  At what price is this tournament worth it? There have been a number of players injured and dinged during this tournament.  Is it really worth it?????  Especially so close to training camp and the start of the season. 

I am seriously surprised the NHLPA and owners agreed to these games.

As a Flyers fan I won't miss him...HOWEVER...as a fan of the game of hockey and NHL..I agree he will be missed.  Love him or hate him he brings something special to the game.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I like the World Cup tournament, but I don't think it should be played prior to the start of an NHL season. Players ease their way into the season. Preseason is meant to be a warm up. The tournament is 100% intensity. You can't enter an NHL season with star players being seriously injured. :(

I'm not worried though. The NHL will change it next time. It'll get moved back to mid-February when the Olympics usually occurred. 

Is it possible to have the World Cup played by amateurs who are N.H.L. ready to show case their talents in a highly competitive tournament? Pens had Murray injured in the tournament, possible Sid was injured, how many other teams had players injured? Let the tournament be played by someone who could use the experience to enhance a pro career!

The truth is that even they may not know exactly which play/event (or eventS) set this back off. It may very well have been a less-than-remarkable collision or force that set it up such that future exertion brought on the symptoms. Head injury--as much as we have learned about it so far--is still a relatively new area and will take decades to understand comprehensively enough to make appropriate recommendations.

I think it is likely that he reinjured it in the WCOH, but that the symptoms didn't show up until practice. Even if it's not true, it does not bode well for his future, nor for the immediate future of NHL hockey, as we could possibly be losing this generation's best talent to it. Though I think head injury is far more prevalent in football than in hockey, the fact that the best of the best may be lost to it will hurt hockey more.

I will say, for the record, that I am glad the NHL has been more pro-active about dealing with this issue than the NFL has, even though it hasn't been enough yet.

Archived