Flyers unveil new "Stadium Series" uniforms for outdoor game

jammer2

Early Saturday, the Flyers unveiled their new "stadium style" uniforms to be worn at their outdoor game against the Pens in January. I'm a fan. Not overly busy, straight forward but classy. The black background makes the logo pop IMHO. The nameplate, still a bit awkward, but that is their new style, like it or not. The new uni's come on the heels of their outdoor opponents, the Penguins new jersey, which has an awful lot of yellow. I'm biased, the Flyers look a lot more effective. The Flyers will also wear this attire when hosting the Penguins on March 15th in Philly.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pass-or-fail-philadelphia-flyers-2017-stadium-series-jersey-photos-132649173.html

cut.jpg

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I put in a request for #9 at the top of my Christmas list.

I've already allotted my quota for Christmas items.  I'm getting a brand new pro-model camera lens which is gonna run me over $1000.  However birthday wish a totally different story! :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

13 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I really, really like these.  I put in a request for #9 at the top of my Christmas list.  

I can't believe the Flyers may only be wearing them twice this year.

Just saw the dates of the 2 games, Feb 25th on a Saturday night for the outdoor game, and I got the date wrong for the 2nd game they wear them, it's officially March 5th, not the 15th like I posted earlier. The 2nd time they wear them will also be against the Pens, this time on Wednesday night on NBC's Rivalry Night.

Broad street comments on the new jersey....they make a valid point, the numbers on the back, all black with a single white line on the all black jersey could inevitably be a problem for the outdoor game, after all, it is gonna be a night game, might make seeing the numbers a bit tough. Also...they don't show them, but the helmet is supposed to be very nice, all black with orange logo and letters. Ditto for the gloves, predominately black with orange highlights.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/12/10/13907052/philadelphia-flyers-black-nhl-stadium-series-jersey-2017-outdoor-game

I really don't like the name plate. It makes the spacing on the back really weird.  Yeah, "awkward" is probably a good word.   And valid point about the numbers. 

It's really only a C, for me, if I'm grading. 

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

after all, it is gonna be a night game, might make seeing the numbers a bit tough.

heh, put a bit of fluorescent paint on the white of the numbers  :5726b5f6a27ed_anidea:

I still really like them.  And I'll see them just fine on my big screen.   

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I still really like them.

I feel the same way, very sleek and straight forward. Glad they did not get to busy with them. The socks are very cool with the one single wider white stripe. Efficient look.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I feel the same way, very sleek and straight forward. Glad they did not get to busy with them. The socks are very cool with the one single wider white stripe. Efficient look.

I think that the design shows our nickname -- "The Orange and the Black"  very well.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't like the name plate. It makes the spacing on the back really weird.  Yeah, "awkward" is probably a good word.   And valid point about the numbers. 

It's really only a C, for me, if I'm grading. 

While I like the overall design, I am not a fan of, like Rux, of the 'name plate' look.

Even on the Flyers regular season sweaters, that name plate thing just sticks out like a sore thumb...almost like a name was just "slapped on" the back of an otherwise, well designed sweater.

I think something could have been done better with the letters around the name...maybe give them a brighter border to make them stand out...and blend in the square edges of the name plate so they don't stand out.

Otherwise, sharp sweaters.

On 12/11/2016 at 7:33 AM, jammer2 said:

Early Saturday, the Flyers unveiled their new "stadium style" uniforms to be worn at their outdoor game against the Pens in January. I'm a fan. Not overly busy, straight forward but classy. The black background makes the logo pop IMHO. The nameplate, still a bit awkward, but that is their new style, like it or not. The new uni's come on the heels of their outdoor opponents, the Penguins new jersey, which has an awful lot of yellow. I'm biased, the Flyers look a lot more effective. The Flyers will also wear this attire when hosting the Penguins on March 15th in Philly.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pass-or-fail-philadelphia-flyers-2017-stadium-series-jersey-photos-132649173.html

cut.jpg

I've been talking about something like this for years but for some reason they're still not making the obvious choice, which would be to take the same design as their home jerseys, but just make the white part black.  Black Jerseys, orange sleeves, still a nod to the classic design, but they get to have their predominantly black sweaters that they seem to like.

Alternatively, I say do the same thing with the road jerseys.  Orange sweaters with  black sleeves.  

On 12/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

While I like the overall design, I am not a fan of, like Rux, of the 'name plate' look.

Even on the Flyers regular season sweaters, that name plate thing just sticks out like a sore thumb...almost like a name was just "slapped on" the back of an otherwise, well designed sweater.

I think something could have been done better with the letters around the name...maybe give them a brighter border to make them stand out...and blend in the square edges of the name plate so they don't stand out.

Otherwise, sharp sweaters.

I actually really like the nameplate on their regular sweaters, but for some reason it's not quite working for me on these.  

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Consensus seems to be: folks like them but the nameplate is not quite right - needs some white. There's no shortage of aggressive whiteness in the world right now, how could the Flyers miss it?

Yeah white name plates matter too....

:DancingGrape:

On 12/13/2016 at 11:41 AM, Bakanekimiwa said:

Yeah.. maybe it's a bit better with the Name lettering in white. I dunno, though, I'm ok with the knockout black looks. 

White outlining the black letters on the orange nameplate, like the sleeve numbers are, would be perfect...make 'em pop a touch more

Archived