Scariest NHL on-ice situations you've seen

timelydew

With Neuvirth collapsing tonight, I got to thinking, "What's the most frightening situation I've seen in the NHL, in terms of health and safety?"

I instantly think of when Richard Zednik got his throat cut, and Max Pacioretty getting turnbuckled. I was watching both games live and those two events still chill me to the bone.

Not to be morbid, but what other ones can you recall, perhaps too vividly?

I guess I most instantly think of Clint Malarchuk, but that wasn't until later on Sportsdesk...

Live? I was at an Oilers/Stars playoff game in 1997, when Bryan Marchment was hit into the boards near the Edmonton bench, and the door swung open and he fell in, spasming and twitching and doing the funky chicken like Ric Flair. It looked terrible. He was obsessively dirty, but I don't like seeing a guy hurt in such a visceral way.

42 minutes ago, timelydew said:

With Neuvirth collapsing tonight, I got to thinking, "What's the most frightening situation I've seen in the NHL, in terms of health and safety?"

I instantly think of when Richard Zednik got his throat cut, and Max Pacioretty getting turnbuckled. I was watching both games live and those two events still chill me to the bone.

I agree with Zednik.

I also saw the Malarchuk one after the fact, and although it looked worse and more........Visibly throat cut dripping....... Zednik's had me thinking OMG.Zednik's carotid artery was cut and its something you could tell instantly by the way it was not dripping but spraying out and from the spatter.

Not in the NHL but I witnessed somebody break their neck in midget hockey.  It was an innocent play, guy came from the middle of the ice to block a point shot, caught a rut in the ice and slide head first into the boards.  It was the sound, both the collision and him moaning afterwards, is something I will never forget.

All of the above.

Most of the above incidents I watched on Sportscenter after the fact or THN but when Fischer had his heart attack I was watching on television live. Horrible.

In person in a baseball game I saw Julio Franco hit a line drive that hit pitcher Willie Blair square in the face breaking his jaw. We were sitting five rows behind the Tigers dugout and the crack of the ball off of Blair's face was as loud as it was off the bat. It was a pretty sickening sound and a sickening moment. They actually drove an ambulance onto the field at the Jake and took him off the field on a stretcher  in the ambulance. It was surreal. Never seen anything like it live. 

Didn't see Malarchuk live (that was the worst, thought he might die right there on the ice), did see Fischer collapse on the Wings bench, that was scary. Was also watching the night Nick Kypros's career ended. He was face down on the ice, in a pile of spit and blood, knocked cold from a vicious right hand. Didn't move for a while also. Stevens hit on Lindros was scary also, you knew he was alive, but did not know if he would be a veggie.

You know, the Chelios hit on Propp was fairly scary at the time.   I watched that live and when--I think it was Howe but could be wrong--took Propp's helmet off and the back of his head was covered in blood -- it was pretty unsettling for a moment.  In retrospect, not as grave as some of the above incidents, but right there in that moment....

When I was in high school our goalie took a slapshot in the head. Back then they wore the type of mask that was molded right on your face. It shattered. He fell to the ice with a huge goose egg on his forehead. His blocker fell off when he went down, and when the ref came over to see how he was, he skated over his fingers. 

47 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I saw Malarchuk's accident happen live on TV.  I am surprised it has not happened more often given the sharp blades and the speed and the constant hits near the net.  

I've never been able to figure out why I haven't seen at least one finger get sliced off in a fight/scrum/etc with people flopping around on the ice, and others skating by.

I was at the game where Pat Dapuzzo's face got sliced off by Downie's skate.  This ended Pat's career as an NHL linesman.

I was also at the games where Pronger took the high stick that ended his career, where Lappy to the slapshot to the face, and Richards destroyed David Booth.  My wife was with me for the Booth incident and she was freaking out as she had never seen that kind of hit before (she doesn't watch a ton of hockey). 

The Dapuzzo thing was by far the scariest of them all as it was obvious from the stands how bad the situation was.  

On 01/04/2017 at 7:01 PM, timelydew said:

good thread

Not NHL, but I've seen more than my share of bad things.  I was at a junior game when a kid lost an eye.  A bantam game in which a boy that I knew well got an artery sliced and damn near died.  A grandson broke his collar bone practically at my feet in a LaCrosse game.  

I love sport, but it sure takes the fun out of a game when someone gets hurt.

I dunno what the rates are now, but many years ago, when we were buying insurance policies for athletics, skiing was the most risky and expensive.

Archived