Draft

sekkes85

Once again we have a bunch of extra picks this year.  Barring any changes due to the lottery (come on ping pong give us first overall!) we're looking like this.

1st round - 13th

2nd round -  13th (44th overall)

3rd round - 13th, 19th (75th, 81st thanks Boston!)

4th round - 13th, 14th, 15th ( 106-108)

5th round - 13th (137th)

6th round - 13th (168th)

7th round - 5th, 13th, 14th ( 191st, 199th, 200th) with the 5th possibly becoming a 2018 7th, nobody seems to know the condition.

We have accumulated a lot of picks this year.  I'm hoping Hextall can work some magic and use them to move up in the first or turn some later rounds into 2nd rounders.  Should be a fun draft weekend regardless!

Note: I know it is early for all this lol

Edit:  Just a side note we have the most draft picks this year with 12 while Washington and Ottawa are tied with the fewest at 4.  

Edited by sekkes85

The Sabres have to be sitting pretty?  I mean, not only draft high but they have a couple number twos as far as I know.  Their first pick can be a real difference maker.  i do not know what is out there, but if there is a great goalie, i hope we grab him

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Sabres have to be sitting pretty?  I mean, not only draft high but they have a couple number twos as far as I know.  Their first pick can be a real difference maker.  i do not know what is out there, but if there is a great goalie, i hope we grab him

MILLER, MILLER, MILLER, MILLER, MILLER,MILLER,MILLER

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe. Not sure how much that matters this year? Who do you like that might still be there at 7?

Well lucky #7!  I'd like to get Michael Rasmussen to add some more size to the lineup and give us another power forward.  If they stand at 13 I'm hoping Eeli Tolvanen.  Not a big body but has more of a shoot first mentality that this team is lacking horribly.

• Like 1

I thought we would have had the 10th pick after losing to the Canes in OT.  Either way I haven't followed potential draft order that closely.  I am hoping the best available player has either NHL goal scoring winger or 1c potential versus a defenseman or goalie (not that goalies often go that high in drafts).

13 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I thought we would have had the 10th pick after losing to the Canes in OT.  Either way I haven't followed potential draft order that closely.  I am hoping the best available player has either NHL goal scoring winger or 1c potential versus a defenseman or goalie (not that goalies often go that high in drafts).

We ended up where it would be 12th, but with the Golden Knights in play it's pushed down to 13th

17 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Well lucky #7!  I'd like to get Michael Rasmussen to add some more size to the lineup and give us another power forward.  If they stand at 13 I'm hoping Eeli Tolvanen.  Not a big body but has more of a shoot first mentality that this team is lacking horribly.

Given the extreme costs of moving up into the top 10, I think we just sit tight and hope Cody Glass falls to 13

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Given the extreme costs of moving up into the top 10, I think we just sit tight and hope Cody Glass falls to 13

If Glass was there at 10 I'd consider moving up. I don't see him lasting that long, let alone 13th.

3 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

I was reading an article in THN the other day that looked at the last 10 years of cup winners. It compared the teams based on a number of interesting metrics including average player size. In the end, the article largely confirmed what many of us can figure out by simple eye test, which is that the recent bout of cup winners are generally not very big teams at all.

In fact, in the last ten years, the only cup winner with above average NHL player size was the Kings. All the other teams had players that were generally smaller than the NHL average. More than that even, in the case of Chicago, the average player size was and is well below NHL average.

All of this is pretty much in line with the new NHL reality: Bruising hockey is out. Speed and skill are in. That isn't to say we don't want large players. It just means smart teams are not making size the no.1 priority anymore.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, sekkes85 said:

LOL which is exactly why they won't take him!  1- likes to shoot the puck 2- he's not a big guy that burries pucks in the belly of the goalie 99.9999% of the time.  3-he doesn't fit hexy's view of his team.  Skill on the front lines is frowned upon.. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:44 AM, sekkes85 said:

Once again we have a bunch of extra picks this year.  Barring any changes due to the lottery (come on ping pong give us first overall!) we're looking like this.

1st round - 13th

2nd round -  13th (44th overall)

3rd round - 13th, 19th (75th, 81st thanks Boston!)

4th round - 13th, 14th, 15th ( 106-108)

5th round - 13th (137th)

6th round - 13th (168th)

7th round - 5th, 13th, 14th ( 191st, 199th, 200th) with the 5th possibly becoming a 2018 7th, nobody seems to know the condition.

We have accumulated a lot of picks this year.  I'm hoping Hextall can work some magic and use them to move up in the first or turn some later rounds into 2nd rounders.  Should be a fun draft weekend regardless!

Note: I know it is early for all this lol

Edit:  Just a side note we have the most draft picks this year with 12 while Washington and Ottawa are tied with the fewest at 4.  

I don't know the draft class well at all.  My understanding is that it's fairly lackluster.  Is there any reason to try to move up rather than just stockpile some talent in the system? 

I'd sooner see Hextall package some of his picks assets in trades to other teams that might have a goalie or a D man they will be required to expose that will likely be taken by Vegas.  At least if they trade him to Hextall for some picks, those are untouchable assets. 

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Craig Button posted his mock draft on TSN and he believes the Flyers will draft Michael Rasmussen. Button thinks that Glass will go third, Pettersson will go to Detroit and Necas will go Dallas. 

I like his size...but the guy can't score 5 on 5 to save his life. We already have that..

On 4/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, elmatus said:

All of this is pretty much in line with the new NHL reality: Bruising hockey is out. Speed and skill are in. That isn't to say we don't want large players. It just means smart teams are not making size the no.1 priority anymore

That's the thing with him, he has the size but also speed and some skill to go with it (at least from what I can read).  

On 4/12/2017 at 6:10 AM, flyercanuck said:

I like his size...but the guy can't score 5 on 5 to save his life. We already have that..

I'm not worried that Rasmussen is a statistical anomoloy. I think he rebounds next season and becomes a consistent point producer in all situations. I'm looking at the various draft publications and the guys that are available around when the Flyers pick and I see guys like Rasmussen, Jason Robertson (great size, but apparent skating issues), Nikita Popugayev (great skating and skill, but completely fell apart after being traded), Ryan Poehling (some can't decide if there's actual high end skill or not), Kristian Vesalainen (size and skating, but is there actual skill), Maxime Comtois (was a preseason potential number one pick, but has fallen hard), etc....

At this point, if you look at things from a real honest stand point, Rasmussen is the guy I take out of the bunch and it's not close. We know he can score goals. He can skate like the wind. He has a fantastic shot and works the power play really well. The other issue with Rasmussen's production this year is that he was consistently bounced between left wing and center. I don't care what anyone says - you can't be successful if you're chaning positions as often as you're changing underwear. We've seen it with Brayden Schenn when he was bounced from center to left wing to right wing then back to center, etc.....Leave Rasmussen in one place and he'll be OK.

I know Hextall has said that he wants to incorporate more size and he started that last year with Bunnaman and Twarynski (can't forget Tanner Laczynski and his 6'1, 200 pound frame), so it won't surprise me if Rasmussen is on the radar. Part of me is really intrigued by this draft because it's really interesting to see what direction the Flyers will go. My hope is that they end up with one of Necas, Pettersson or Glass, but I won't be downtrodden if they select Rasmussen.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...