• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OccamsRazor said:

That is not fair.

I just got through eating...

:rage:

Look at the bright side, OR...

At least Hal Gill wasn't mentioned anywhere.

We ALL KNOW mentioning Gill is a reportable offense around here.....plus that certainly would have returned your meal from whence it came.......... :ph34r:

On 10/22/2017 at 8:32 PM, vis said:

Yeah, a total PR piece.  However, he has been pretty decent this year (not $4.7m good) and doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he receives.  It's clear he is valued by his coaches and teammates.  Guy is a professional and stand-up guy.  

That said, I hope we now get a long look at Morin.

I will never for the life of me wish an injury on any player - on my team or another.   McDonald has actually been playing good hockey this year and he is the whipping boy of the fanbase.   It merely comes down to the contract and has nothing to do with the player or person.  I really feel for the guy but what drives me insane is the constant BS Hexy states about McDonald.   As you say - the PR BS in regards to McDonald by Hextall and the Org needs to stop.   The fans are smart and realize the guy is grossly overpaid.

Homer and Hextall completely overpaid the guy and it appears the club will forever try to justify his contract.   It only makes matters worse with the fans IMO.   Yes, Andrew McDonald is a NHL caliber player but stop acting like he is worth the contract.  

22 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Yes, Andrew McDonald is a NHL caliber player but stop acting like he is worth the contract.  

Honestly, I don't recall Hextall, et. al, trying to justify the cap hit/salary.  I have a hazy recollection that Hextall even acknowledged that it's not the best deal (found a tweet about it from 2014: https://twitter.com/philabright/status/464157774176206848).  But I do think the organization touts MacDonald to offset some of the fanbase's sometimes unfair criticism of his play and to justify his place in the lineup ahead of Morin and Sanheim (when Sanheim was riding pine). 

@BobbyClarkeFan16 To be fair, Hextall did say that they will see if they bring someone up for the road trip but they won't call someone up just to sit.  

That said, the fact that they are comfortable with Manning in the lineup and Hextall said they won't call someone up just to sit tells you that there will be no-call up for Morin unless Manning or the defense as a unit looks terrible. I think they would be a bit foolish to not bring someone on the roadtrip, though.  Might be a little challenging getting someone in the lineup if an injury occurs close to game time.  Given Hextall's statement about not calling someone up for them to sit, I still doubt they would call up Morin for the roadtrip.  I wonder if Mark Alt ends up getting the nod.

So i see in Bill's lineup he has Ivan and Ghost paired up tonight.

I have been waiting for this combo!

:DancingGrape:

Sanheim with Hagg.

And Radko and Manning together.

We'll see.

I would have made a game thread but i'm headed to bed have to work tonight and don't like doing it on my phone.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:35 AM, RJ8812 said:

Yeah, but Manning always looks terrible

He actually hasn't been that bad over the last few games. I'm not sure he needs to stick around after this year or anything, but that's mostly owing to the fact we have a bunch of younger and likely better dmen fighting for spots. I think Manning is a third pairing dman on many if not most teams in the NHL as is.

I should note I haven't always thought about him this way, but I've come around to it. :P

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

He actually hasn't been that bad over the last few games. I'm not sure he needs to stick around after this year or anything, but that's mostly owing to the fact we have a bunch of younger and likely better dmen fighting for spots. I think Manning is a third pairing dman on many if not most teams in the NHL as is.

I should note I haven't always thought about him this way, but I've come around to it. :P

Manning is a 7th defenseman and I have no problem keeping him around if he's treated like so. The problem is he should not be playing over Morin or any of the other kids that are ready. I'd prefer if he left simply because Hakstol wouldn't be able to use him, much like VdV leaving. Sure, you could keep him around as the extra, but I don't trust our coach to use him in that capacity 

56 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

The problem is he should not be playing over Morin or any of the other kids that are ready. 

This remains to be seen seeing as how Morin has played less than 20 min of NHL hockey. He certainly looks like he might be ready, but we don't know until he actually does it. Manning scores a beauty the other night and people just yawn. He's hardly terrible.

The constant musical chairs for defensive partners since Mcdud went down hasn't helped matters that is for sure.

Combine that is shoddy goaltending and then forwards who can't even get even one shot on goal in a period plus.

Recipe for disaster.

I guess it could have been worse the Eagles could have lost to the now 0-8 49ers the day before...

...so silverlining in a dark cloud...

:VeryCool:

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I honestly have absolutely no recolletion of Konan.  You'd think I'd remember a name like that.

Not really just a body...really. Sadly.

The belief in prospect investment has taken a huge 180 in Hextall reign.

Thankfully and we all will see it pay dividends now and the future.

In fact it is how perinial powerhouses should be run especially in the salary cap era.

Knowing when and where to utilize they youth isn't an exact art.

But Flyers are learning as they go.

It takes time to plant a seed and wait for its results.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really just a body...really. Sadly.

The belief in prospect investment has taken a huge 180 in Hextall reign.

Thankfully and we all will see it pay dividends now and the future.

In fact it is how perinial powerhouses should be run especially in the salary cap era.

Knowing when and where to utilize they youth isn't an exact art.

But Flyers are learning as they go.

It takes time to plant a seed and wait for its results.

By my count 6 of the top 10 in scoring right now are 24 or under (Coots is one of them, at #8 ironically)

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Allow that stat to marinade for a while......

I think he gets too much criticism.  I think if he had a $1.5M cap hit for 3 years, people would be singing a different tune.  He makes some mistakes but he's a steady vet on the back line.  He also contributes some offense every once in a while which the other defensemen have a hard time doing.

3 hours ago, icehole said:

I think he gets too much criticism.  I think if he had a $1.5M cap hit for 3 years, people would be singing a different tune.  He makes some mistakes but he's a steady vet on the back line.  He also contributes some offense every once in a while which the other defensemen have a hard time doing.

So, he's paid more than triple what you think he's worth and was signed for two years longer (he'd already be gone on a three year deal) and has all of 45 points in 186 games as a Flyer and he gets too much criticism? 

OK, fine.

He's producing points at the same rate as Radko Gudas and Robert Hagg this season. Manning has five times as many points (5) in 10 more games. Of the other defence regulars you can't even put him in the same sentence as Ghost and Provorov (I realize I just did) with regard to point production.

7 hours ago, Samifan said:

Allow that stat to marinade for a while......

"Correlation is not causation"

This team has much bigger problems than MacDonald's injury.

For the record, I agree MacDud is "an NHL player" - he's just terribly overpaid and no where near good enough to be a top 4 in this league - on a good team.

6 hours ago, Samifan said:

THIS!

I was going to check the record for this stat without McDonald last night.  The Flyers just have a more stable, better decision-making group with McDonald in the lineup.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

THIS!

I was going to check the record for this stat without McDonald last night.  The Flyers just have a more stable, better decision-making group with McDonald in the lineup.

Damning with faint praise...

How much better would they be had they spent the $5M on someone actually worth $5M?

Asking for a franchise...

On 11/1/2017 at 2:44 PM, King Knut said:

I honestly have absolutely no recolletion of Konan.  You'd think I'd remember a name like that.

I don't either.   But based on the timing, it was a part of the season in which I would have no longer been watching.

Plus, he only played two games, so the tweet is a bit absurd to make it seem even worse than it was.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't either.   But based on the timing, it was a part of the season in which I would have no longer been watching.

Plus, he only played two games, so the tweet is a bit absurd to make it seem even worse than it was.

Probably just as well. 

I mean, from the looks of it, penalties and suspensions would have been a problem for him anyways.

He would have made Gudas look like a Lady Byng candidate.  :InnocentSmiley:

Conan Hack.gif

2 hours ago, radoran said:

How much better would they be had they spent the $5M on someone actually worth $5M?

Throw his money with Lehtera's and you could afford to ice a whole bottom 6 for a team!!!!! :hithead:

Archived