Game 82: Rangers at Flyers; 4/7/18 @ 3 PM

Howie58

12 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Don't get too cocky just yet.... The game ain't over til somebody loses an eye!!! Wait that ain't right til the drunk falls down???? 

I hear ya....but just look at the Rangers...VERY disinterested.

Lundqvist is thinking about that GQ magazine interview, Alain is wondering whether he will get a contract extension, Brady Skjei is wondering how the hell he was promoted to #1 D-man all of a sudden, and Vladi Namestnikov is like, "Dammit...I shoulda been on the Lightning......damn you Yzerman!"

This game is all over but the shouting.

The team SHOULD stay focused on the game, but the fans? Hey, be happy. You Fly fans have a team in the playoffs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOLY ****!

G hung a hat trick on the Rags ass to get in the playoffs!!!!

I'm at work can't wait to get home and watch this!

And then a shutout to boot are you kidding me!!!

So long Mrazek!!!!

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

HOLY ****!

G hung a hat trick on the Rags ass to get in the playoffs!!!!

I'm at work can't wait to get home and watch this!

And then a shutout to boot are you kidding me!!!

So long Mrazek!!!!

When you watch, brace yourself because Mike Milbury was extremely complimentary about Giroux and the Flyers all day.

In other news, Doc Emrick brought up the Penguins about 25x during a Flyers Rangers game. :bonkingheadonwall:

Wow heckuva game by G! I can't believe that's his first career hat trick! Great time to do it :)

102 points. Unbelievable! He's been money all year. 

Bring on anyone in the 1st round. This is bonus hockey and anything can happen. 

They'll just flip the switch. Or bench press the puck into the net. 

14 minutes ago, Samifan said:

When you watch, brace yourself because Mike Milbury was extremely complimentary about Giroux and the Flyers all day.

In other news, Doc Emrick brought up the Penguins about 25x during a Flyers Rangers game. :bonkingheadonwall:

So did Elliott look much improved?

I mean a shutout can't say i expected that.

Flyers already in playoff form.

If Giroux isn't the league MVP, then you know that the voting is rigged and there's a serious bias against the Flyers. The man escalated his game to an entirely new level this year and more important, his influence has worn off on others. I look at how much more comfortable, confident and assertive Couturier has been in the offensive zone. I look at Nolan Patrick and how he's stepped his game up and seems to be taking a cue from Giroux. Konecny stepped up and became a better player after playing with Giroux. Giroux's influence has been all encompassing on the team. 

I don't expect them to do much in the playoffs, but I expect that they'll play with some vigor and fire, just like the captain. Such a fantastic year Giroux had.

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

Wow heckuva game by G! I can't believe that's his first career hat trick! Great time to do it :)

102 points. Unbelievable! He's been money all year. 

Bring on anyone in the 1st round. This is bonus hockey and anything can happen. 

They'll just flip the switch. Or bench press the puck into the net. 

Looking at it objectively, as a neutral fan of hockey, can anyone make the case why Giroux shouldn't win the Hart?  I'm sick of all this Hall B.S. hart talk.

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So did Elliott look much improved?

I mean a shutout can't say i expected that.

Flyers already in playoff form.

He was ok, but against a team that cared, I think we would have been in trouble. He wasn’t really tested much but was out of position a number of times. 

But he did make a few clutch saves. 

Well, I have to correct myself.  Apparently the bookies were right.  The O and B deserved to be heavy favorites based on their performance today.

I don't think Elliott was terrific but he was competent. He seems to understand the rhythm of the game and stops play to give his D a breather as needed.

I was surprised that McPhee didn't take the unprotected Raffl.  He is a good presence and his work today shows his versatility.

We'll know our opponent later tonight.  It will be a good experience for the youngins.  But I would be surprised if we take more than a game or two from whomever.  That said, making the playoffs is an achievement a lot of us weren't expecting earlier this year.  

A last point.  The parity in this league means every point counts.  So much playoff juggling on the last day of the regular season is pretty amazing.  

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Seems to me, a lot of posters (myself included) put way to much stock in last year when G was coming off surgery. Like day and night between this year and last.

Funny thing that......rabid fandom that is.

Last season, Claude Giroux was roasted on these boards by lots of people.

About two seasons back, I made a comment about liking to have Claude on the Minnesota Wild for a package of young players.

Fortunately for Philly and sadly for Minnesota. a deal like that never materialized.

Claude Giroux has NEVER been the problem on this team.

He is human and will have faults and have really bad runs on occasion, but surround him with a cast of characters that can hold up their own end (and the Flyers are starting to develop that a bit once again) and you can really see what this guy does.

I think last season's roastings were a bit over the top.

You and other Flyers' fans should be very thankful Ron Hextall didn't see things the way some jaded fans did and stuck with his Captain.

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think last season's roastings were a bit over the top

Tropical:

I was one of the roasters and would say the following. Some might have been over the top, but on the other hand, his decline was not just an "off year," but part of a five-year slide.  Where I agree with you 100% is that Giroux is such a competitor that he never mentioned his injuries or lack of recovery time as an "excuse," but as some of the announcers said today, that was a reality.

I'd also add that the move to wing has probably extended his career and brought him back to he position for which he was recruited.  That helped!

I think the real test will be next year.  Can he sustain a 70 point or so level? This year will be hard to equal. But I hope he doesn't slip too much.

Peace

Archived