Flyers Sign Folin to one-year, $800,000 deal

AJgoal

okay, so right handed shot, check.

I wonder if this is a Hextall guy ?

I would think the "pipe line" from LA is kind of over by now as far as familiarity with prospects goes...

Anyone know anything about him?  I just see he's got solid size and a RH shot and only 27.  Seems to be a good signing based on need.  

From TSN:

Assets Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Flaws Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.
Career potential Big, solid defenseman.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I would think the "pipe line" from LA is kind of over by now as far as familiarity with prospects goes...

The Flyers went after Folin as a NCAA UFA, lost out to the Wild.

He's completely middle of the road from a stats perspective, didn't watch him in LA or Minny so I have no real opinion, other than I don't want to see all four of MacDonald, Hagg, Gudas, and Folin playing on a nightly basis.

Very likely now that Myers starts in the AHL and is the first callup. 

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Flyers went after Folin as a NCAA UFA, lost out to the Wild.

He's completely middle of the road from a stats perspective, didn't watch him in LA or Minny so I have no real opinion, other than I don't want to see all four of MacDonald, Hagg, Gudas, and Folin playing on a nightly basis.

Very likely now that Myers starts in the AHL and is the first callup. 

Either that, or Gudas is now expendable. 

But yes, either way, they needed a 7th, and better to be Folin than Myers. 

34 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Anyone know anything about him?  I just see he's got solid size and a RH shot and only 27.  Seems to be a good signing based on need.  

From TSN:

Assets Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Flaws Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.
Career potential Big, solid defenseman.

Seen him play a bit for the Kings and of course the Minnesota Wild before that....

From my observation, this is what you get with Folin…..

Positives:
---He IS a large framed man and he does hit a bit. He won't knock people into the stands despite his large frame, but he doesn't shy away from contact either. More of a "disruptive" hitter...and in today's NHL, that's not too bad.

---Has a nice heavy low shot.....if coaches can get him to use it more, he might even be an asset to where forwards can get lots of deflection or rebound goals from it.

---Decent skater. Not the fastest defenseman, but fast enough, and reasonably graceful.  Best suited to handling bottom six forwards...however, if paired with a good top defenseman (he played a little bit with Suter and/or Jared Spurgeon while with the Wild), he can play the part of 'stay at home defense' pretty well, allowing his more elite partner to do more of their thing.

---Contract is very affordable and gives value based on what you get from the guy.

Negatives:

-- For a man of his size, you wish he WOULD hit more. Even though he defends reasonably well, and maybe its just me, but I expect a man who is 6'4 and upwards of 205-210 pounds to be a bit more physical.

--Very low offensive output.  Like I said, when he uses it, has a nice hard shot and COULD produce more assists......but he doesn't seem to use the shot nearly enough (Philly is more offense oriented....maybe they can get that out of him more than the Wild or Kings did).

-- Pretty standard in just about every category for a D-man.  For some teams that could be a good thing, for others, like Minnesota and Los Angeles, it wasn't quite enough, hence why he always got less ice time than he probably should have.
Again, Philly has a need for solid defensemen with some experience, perhaps Folin gets more of a chance to showcase himself there.

I will say this about the man during his time in Minnesota:

I didn't think he was a huge difference maker, but he was just one of those guys that, while you liked the solid things he did, you just wish he would do a bit MORE of them.

Wouldn't have minded the Wild hanging on to him, especially given his contract value, but I DO understand the Wild either needed a much more physical type defender or one that could more consistently produce from the blue line...… he is neither..... but if I am a Philly fan, I'd rather have him in the lineup than say, a MacDonald, Manning.....AND as much as I like Radko Gudas, minus the hitting that Radko does, Folin seems to be able to do other things a bit better than him....with LESS penalties taken.

It's basically a "can't hurt" classic low risk signing by Philadelphia.

Capfriendly has the deal at $650,000.

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

Either that, or Gudas is now expendable. 

I wouldn't think Folin does that. He's a 6/7, Gudas is a 4/5. That's the wrong way to make room. Best case scenario is that there's a true camp battle for Myers to make the team, and the loser out of MacDonald, Hagg, Myers, Gudas, Folin gets sent down. 

24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't think Folin does that. He's a 6/7, Gudas is a 4/5. That's the wrong way to make room. Best case scenario is that there's a true camp battle for Myers to make the team, and the loser out of MacDonald, Hagg, Myers, Gudas, Folin gets sent down. 

Yeah, possibly. But I just don't see either MacDonald (especially) or Gudas being sent to LHV. Hextall will likely do it with Weise.

I think Myers will start in the AHL unless he absolutely blows away the competition. 

We needed a 7th because Morin is on LTIR.

Provo/Ghost

Sanheim/MacDonald

Hagg/Gudas

Folin

Morin (LTIR)

Myers will be the first callup.

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

RH, big, mobile Swedish D-man eh?

There's somebody here who says that's what all teams need. 😎

Good signing

For $650K too. - He's cheaper and bigger than Manning.

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

For $650K too. - He's cheaper and bigger than Manning.

Yeah, and likely more mobile. I still can't believe what Manning got from the Hawks. Good for him, because I was always a defender, but I'm not an idiot. His slow foot speed was way evident in the playoffs. 

• AJgoal changed the title to Flyers Sign Folin to one-year, $800,000 deal
4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

RH, big, mobile Swedish D-man eh?

There's somebody here who says that's what all teams need. 😎

Good signing

Yes i think he could be a nice pair with Hagg on the bottom pair.

A Swede pair if i do say so myself. Hagg 6-2 Folin 6-3. I hope they can develop some chemistry.

They tried to sign him as a free agent when he come out of college but he joined his friend Brodin with the Wild.

Now a right hand shot for the blueline who will make Gudas expendable....so when Myers is ready you can trade Gudas and still have Folin who at his current salary is just right for a 5th-7th Dman type.

He can play up in the lineup on the 2nd pair if need be if they have an injury. Mobile and big enough not to be a liability.

He doesn't bring maybe the offense Manning brought but he is a better defender...a better two way defenseman.

I think Hak is going to like him a lot. He'll take the body a clean way like Gudas can't do...

And he has a cannon from the point like Gudas...i hope this puts Gudas on another team...

53 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He will not make Gudas expendable. Gudas is a better player. Recency bias is bad. Don't fall for it.

I disagree.

Gudas is gone in a matter of time.

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I'm on board.

It won't be MacDonald.  And I highly doubt it's Hagg.  It shouldn't be, anyway.

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Not sure if the pipeline is dried up yet....I expect if he doesn't gets signed some where you could see Ron extend a try out to Nick Shore for a 3rd line center audition...from his days in LA...we'll see.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm on board.

It won't be MacDonald.  And I highly doubt it's Hagg.  It shouldn't be, anyway.

No worries I think Radko could draw the shirt straw.

Folin led the Kings in hits per game at 2.6.

He also had 167 for the season.

Which would have been 3rd on the Flyers behind Hagg's 270 and Radko's 170.

And the biggest zero suspensions!

Archived