Game 21: Flyers at Sabres 11/21/18 7:30 pm

OccamsRazor

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Gritty is a distraction from our pain .  That may be good or bad.  

When will Comcast intervene?  FYI, I got a call from one of the sales staff regarding Black Friday tix.  I hadn't  bought mine as early as usual--it is a first in a decade.  It makes me wonder if sales are dropping?  I know the media and even JJ + Keith Jones have noted a lot of empty seats.  Jeepers, the faithful may have had their full.

I hope that Comcast notices that 1/2 the arena is empty.   When they fans stop paying attention and get disinterested then *maybe* Comcast will start to care.   Until then we have what we have and as I have said for years Hextall seems to be good at drafting but is very questionable when running the club in terms of contracts, trades and just downright awful decision making.   

Look, this team is no closer today than we were 2-3 years ago.  Sh*tty defense, horrid goal tending and holes in the bottom six are not going to get us anywhere.  On top of that you have a coaching staff that is truly outmatched on most nights and it seems the team is not buying into whatever system they are trying to play.

Hextall's job is not all that dissimilar to Hak - they are both there to win games and develop.  Well, they certainly are not winning lately and nearly all of our prized prospects are not really playing all that well.  Provy is either hurt or his head is completely ****ed to the point it might have a lasting impact. Patick has been nearly non-existent over the last few games  Hagg is serviceable and Sanheim has been very good for his rookie campaign.  Folin and Gudas both were horrible yesterday...  I am not going to even touch the goal tending issues & special teams.

Until Ron gets off his ass and actually addresses this sh!t show it will continue to be a plodding mediocre team that is boring to watch.  And if it does I hope the fans turn on Ronald and the organization.  We have been preached to for 5 stinking years and it is the same thing every year.

And if anyone thinks we are 2-3 years away from truly contending with the NHL elite you are ****** off your goddamn rocker.   At this rate we will be lucky to be a playoff team in 3 years with an aging core.   

On this Turkey Day I would like to tell Ronald to go choke yourself on a turkey neck b/c you have a bunch of ****** gizzards in this organization and it starts with you....   you stupid dope....

~~~ rant over... I feel much better.   Happy T-Day everyone!  Enjoy the day off from watching ****** hockey...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can he play goal or kill penalties?

Hell while we're asking can he help on the power play too?

Dunno, but I think the real question is: can he bake a cake?

Because we need to get back to that kind of perspective if this team is going to progress. Because if memory serves, the last time we made it to the Stanley Cup finals we had a cake baker at the helm. Amirite?

6 hours ago, vis said:

This team is not any closer to contention than when Hextall took over.

To me, this is the most disturbing thing. It's truly a team that went sideways for 5 years. Which, I suppose if you want to look at it as an optimist, means the team was at least *somewhat* competitive (2 playoff berths) over those 5 years. 

Of course, it can be seen as a missed opportunity to draft high. But they even managed to do that by beating the odds. 

That being said, and @murraycraven summarized it well, are they once again overvaluing their prospects? Provorov and Ghost are both having down years so far, and it's not just puck luck. They're both playing like they're concussed.

Patrick? I mean, sure, he's 20. But Nico is younger and has been better from the get-go, and is better again this year. To be fair, he was the #1 overall. But what about other, young high-draft picks that seemed to come in and contribute right away - guys like Laine, Matthews, Pettersson, Marner, Nylander, Kotkaniemi, Brady Tkachuk, Matthew Tkachuk, Keller, Dubois... All those guys except for Matthews were drafted lower than Patrick and they;ve all out-performed him at pretty much the same age. I get that every player is different - but is it really that all those guys are better? Or that there's something in the organization right now that is preventing these guys from blossoming?

Hextall's biggest flaw so far, though, seems to be putting all his eggs in the Hart basket, and having that set as a two year window from last year. It's just not reasonable, and now we're left with the most awful goaltending organization-wide that I've ever experienced as a Flyers fan... and boy, we've had some doozies over the years. But this actually takes the cake. Our six goalies across the board are collectively taking a massive dump.

I don't think the team can go on the way it currently is - like @vis says, either the coach or some players need to go. 

I'd start with the coach. Even year, right?

On the first goal last night the captain was plain and simply LAZY and Skinner had a shinny tap in. Does the whole team wilt when the highest paid player and veteran and captain does this? Maybe. I don't know, I'm not in the room. I do know this. When the coach is bland and the captain is lazy you end up with a team like this. 

On 11/21/2018 at 9:37 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. See what the kid can do. Can't be worse than Pickard.

I'll take that bet. 

Not that Pickard is good or even better, but I have yet to see anything that indicates that Lyon belongs in an NHL crease. 

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll take that bet. 

Not that Pickard is good or even better, but I have yet to see anything that indicates that Lyon belongs in an NHL crease. 

Doesn't matter he won't get a chance again.

Hak has done scapegoated him for last night's debacle.

It's hard to tell when he has to play in the NHL with an AHL club in front of him.

And I actually don't even care enough to argue anymore.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Doesn't matter he won't get a chance again.

Hak has done scapegoated him for last night's debacle.

It's hard to tell when he has to play in the NHL with an AHL club in front of him.

And I actually don't even care enough to argue anymore.

Yeah, completely get that.   They've really sucked any fun completely out of the whole thing. 

Canning Hextall and keeping Holmgren and Clarke won't change anything.

This entire mess is on Holmgren taking a Cup Finals team and blowing it up for a handful of magic beans based on a 35 year old defenseman leading them to the promised land.

It was fool's gold then. It's fool's gold now.

#wonthetrades

#sixyearsandthreeeroundsofplayoffs

Pathetic.

I will be at the game tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the play and atmosphere.  There have been lots of empty seats. And the crowd has been dead.  In the old days, a game against the Rangers would be tantamount to US-Russia and the Cold War.  Last year against these dudes, there was booing. Will tomorrow's game get the same crowd reaction?

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Canning Hextall and keeping Holmgren and Clarke won't change anything.

This entire mess is on Holmgren taking a Cup Finals team and blowing it up for a handful of magic beans based on a 35 year old defenseman leading them to the promised land.

It was fool's gold then. It's fool's gold now.

#wonthetrades

#sixyearsandthreeeroundsofplayoffs

Pathetic.

A cup finals team?  Where?

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I’ve heard stories too... I thought it was a folklore... so it really was true then? This team really did exist? 

'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that meant that it is not real?' -- JK Rowling, via Albus Dumbledore.  

Archived