HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think so. He does gain my respect by saying f**k you i'm sticking by his principles.

Right or wrong.

I get it.

Fair enough. I can respect him for being a principled person, but if it really came down to: "fire Hak or you're gone" he should have fired Hak. Then he would still be around to oversee the drafting and develop model. Hak didn't deserve to be defended by a man of honor if that's how it went down.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, vis said:

Agree that Hextall's failures to address the team needs that you mentioned are probably reason enough to result in his firing.  However, he's also done a lot of good in terms of drafting talent (of course, having Nolan Patrick fall in your lap helps).  So, I thought that would give him some extra rope (which was then used to hang him).

I also think it's surprising since usually the coach is fired before the GM.  If a new coach can't get it done, then conventional thinking is that it's time to move on from the GM (with new coach also typically getting fired).  So, the timeline is a bit out of the ordinary.

Again, only reporting what I saw....   Boruk is a moron but he def has closer ties to the team than anyone on this board.   Just thought it was interesting and that is all....

And something that I have always felt is that Hexy believes he is the smartest guy in the room.    Maybe he is and maybe he is not... Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Welcome to Fear and Loathing, the hockey fan version. I know it well. Kevin Lowe is STILL around, influencing hockey ops in Edmonton, after screwing up repeatedly. Fruit from the tainted tree.......

Your version of Bobby Clarke, in essence.

Greetings:

This is a sad day of reckoning.  I almost wish they would have made the coaching change because at this juncture, Hak is a lame duck four months ahead of schedule. Keeping Lappy around might have added weight to arguing there was no accountability.

That said, the big picture stuff beyond execution may be on the table.  Maybe people are wondering if the prospects are as good as projected/hoped?  I agree with the NBC announcer that apathy for a sports franchise is bad.  Our losses haven't been pretty.  Most have looked like parallel realities--we are in the slow lane, the opponent is in another galaxy.  Hak's lack of emotion doesn't help.  But you have to wonder about DNA, and whether Hexy and staff can make "fill in" trades that make a difference.  

This may be a test case for the players as well.  I just saw an interview with G and V.  They both said part of the responsibility is their's. It is.  I'd say anyone without a trade clause might be fair game for exit.  

Holmgren heading the search is an interesting aspect.  The guy is a competitor.  But he was weaned in pre-2004, old-style hockey.  His rebuild for 2008 was OK; but what came after wasn't pretty.  I almost wish he as a 20 game interim coach to do a character check,; let a newbie head the GM search!

45 minutes ago, vis said:

Wow.  Strong words if true.  I usually don't put a lot of stock in what Boruk has to say, but that's very interesting. 

I'm not sure if I buy the idea that he doesn't lean on his colleagues.  He seemed to lean pretty heavily on Chris Pryor and the rest of the staff for the drafts.  I don't know how he's utilized Barry Hanrahan or Dean Lombardi.  Although, you have to imagine that Hextall did consult with Lombardi sometimes given their past relationship.  I do think Hextall and Hakstol had a close relationship and maybe Hextall was more involved in the day-to-day coaching and personnel decisions than other GMs might be (figuring that those two wanted to work together that way).  

Oh good. If we're comparing Hextall to Chip Kelly, than our next GM will help us win a Stanley Cup.

we are hosed holmgren is going to trade away all of our young draft picks get a bunch of useless veterans fill our roster with a whole bunch of useless cap space never address a goaltender problem and think he's doing just fine in a senile old folks home where he hangs out

26 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Again, only reporting what I saw....   Boruk is a moron but he def has closer ties to the team than anyone on this board.   Just thought it was interesting and that is all...

And something that I have always felt is that Hexy believes he is the smartest guy in the room.    Maybe he is and maybe he is not... Time will tell. 

The Devil is in the details, but part of Hextall's brief when he came in was to be an "outside" perspective and to change the way the organization did business.

For that, I can see him not being part of the "old gang" at the Flyers and being standoffish, etc.

He didn't want to be there because he was Ron Hextall, former Flyers goaltender - he was there because he was former Assistant General Manager to the Los Angeles Kings as they built a team that went on to win two Cups.

I can see him being abrasive and dismissive to the longtimers. He's Ron Hextall have you ever watched anything the man has ever done? 🤗

And all of the longtimers and the sports "reporters" work in the same building.

Honestly, if the new GM doesn't trade Simmonds in the first two weeks on the job, the Flyers shouldn't have bothered. 

Voracek too. 

Go for Hughes.  

The problem is the metro is still there to take and it will be too tempting. 

I hope no one here is too emotionally attached to any of our prospects. 

Tell you something else, if the Flyers hire Fletcher from Minnesota, I will quit this team.

I'll change my name to csummers2.0 and be a douchebag troll. 

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Your version of Bobby Clarke, in essence.

Pretty much. If you ever want to see an exercise in arrogance from a group of men whose arrogance is not commensurate with their level of managerial success, watch this one:

All three have been fired UP the chain.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Your new Flyers GM:  Chris Pronger

If Pronger is hired for any position,I would rather see a fiery leader like Prongs as head coach, he wont tolerate any underachieving. For GM , I think we need a seasoned GM, but to be quite honest the Flyers are too loyal to ex players and that's why we should go outside for both coach and GM. Maybe hire Pronger to replace Murphy .

So they wanted him to speed up the rebuild and he wasn't going to do that.

IE. basically start trading off picks and prospect for guys who are more ready.

Front off ice committed to his rebuild then got impatient because by this time they thought they would be further along.

And who knows maybe they might have been but Ron made one huge logistical error..

...not getting a stud goalie to help this team along while going through this to help cover for their many mistakes while they plyed their trade and learned on the job.

What crazy timing! I get firing Hak but Hexy? There must be a lot behind the scenes. I suspect Comcast money being a big part of it.

until now only the top tier prospects have broke through to the nhl. Next year is the first time the “depth” prospects are truly going to be knocking on the door and 2020... there will be a lot more coming.  Got to play them to see what they got!

how many times has a position of this level been open to hire with such cap space, talented roster and prospects been open mid season? Lots of assets to play with.... just need to get it right

fire the coach 

I want Lindros for GM

Archived