HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

As for the Hextall not letting Hart earn the back-up.  Hart was clearly the best goalie out of training camp   If Hart was mentored by Elliot and had the best goalie coach this organization has then I would have to think his path to success would be better than earning his way up via the Phantoms.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If Pronger is hired for any position,I would rather see a fiery leader like Prongs as head coach, he wont tolerate any underachieving. For GM , I think we need a seasoned GM, but to be quite honest the Flyers are too loyal to ex players and that's why we should go outside for both coach and GM. Maybe hire Pronger to replace Murphy .

Ironically, the D in the AHL is just as bad as the D of the big club in allowing high-quality scoring chances. At least when Hart does get here, he will be prepared for the nightly onslaught he is going to face: dumb turnovers, lack of back checking, bad gap management, and sporadic disciplined play

Could not read through all 7 pages, so forgive me if some of this is redundant. I get the disappointment in this year's team...but.. 

Upper management knew Hexy was taking a slow patient approach. What was he supposed to do...trade Giroux for a star goalie with Hart waiting in the wings? Now, he had limited funds to spend on goalies  but inviting both Neuvy and Ells back did not inspire much confidence....and their play inspired even less. In the end, bringing both these stiffs back was a recipe for disaster. It may have cost him the ability to see his carefully laid plans come to fruition. 

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

how about you crawl back under your rock ?

2 hours ago, vis said:

Agree that Hextall's failures to address the team needs that you mentioned are probably reason enough to result in his firing.  However, he's also done a lot of good in terms of drafting talent (of course, having Nolan Patrick fall in your lap helps).  So, I thought that would give him some extra rope (which was then used to hang him).

I also think it's surprising since usually the coach is fired before the GM.  If a new coach can't get it done, then conventional thinking is that it's time to move on from the GM (with new coach also typically getting fired).  So, the timeline is a bit out of the ordinary.

Time will tell if he drafted well. Maybe Hart will fulfill his potential. Same with Frost. Who knows. Provorov, Konecny and Lindblom were excellent picks.

All I know is that when you are calling up NAK and Goulbourne to provide energy because you have no one else in the A who can provide skill, it makes me question how deep this organization is. Funny, last year Podein was arguing that the Flyers have more talent in their organization than the Leafs. Man, was he wrong.

42 minutes ago, hf101 said:

If Hart was mentored by Elliot and had the best goalie coach this organization has

That's like the best paint by number guy in the Helen Keller House.

I'm with you on everything else.  There is something significantly wrong with our goaltending coach(es), though.

37 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Hextall is the new Sam Hinkie. A couple of additions to Hextalls team and the new GM will be in good shape. 

Yeah, I said Ed Wade in  another thread, but Hinkie works too.

And that's the way this is going to go *IF* they make the right decision(s) on replacement(s).   That's such a huge IF with the clowns they have in senior management.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

If Pronger is hired for any position,I would rather see a fiery leader like Prongs as head coach, he wont tolerate any underachieving. For GM , I think we need a seasoned GM, but to be quite honest the Flyers are too loyal to ex players and that's why we should go outside for both coach and GM. Maybe hire Pronger to replace Murphy .

I kind of agree on a certain level, but Pronger's post-playing experience has really all been at the executive level.  I mean, player safety, some other executive job with the league, and currently senior advisor of hockey operations with the Panthers.  

He may just have enough that they'll take a shot at it.  Plus, it fits the "Flyers connection" mantra that apparently must be present.

This sounds just like what did him in...

Hextall became a bit too obsessed with the long game. At times, the present was blinded by his patience, a judicious approach that appeared to disregard what was unfolding in the now, in front of everyone's eyes.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/firing-ron-hextall-wasnt-about-dave-hakstol-instead-what-gm-didnt-quite-get

That prudence probably soured on Holmgren. Because you can bet Holmgren and Comcast Spectacor chairman and CEO Dave Scott had a keen finger on the pulse of the fans during Hextall's run.

That's their job. This is a business and the fans are your prized investors.

The fans grew increasingly impatient with the GM's patience.

If there was consistent grow in the upward trend the fans would have been fine....but that wasn't the case.

Hakstol did not choose his lineup. Hextall did.

Hextall sat on $9 million cap space. Compare that to top teams.

If Carter Hart is truly a generational goalie, he should be with the Flyers now.  Hakstol has coached many many young goaltenders.

Hakstol was a professional coach before North Dakota. Player-coach at one time for Manitoba Moose.

Young players are blocked from seeing action by a ho-hum 4th line.

2 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Hextall sat on $9 million cap space. Compare that to top teams.

Yeah, I mean seriously, how did that work out in Montreal last year?   

That's the thing, he didn't even attempt to create the perception that he was trying with this season.  And the perception that he was tossing the season showed in the stands and was, in this move, reacted to by senior management.

4 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

If Carter Hart is truly a generational goalie, he should be with the Flyers now.

Maybe.  I really am concerned they're going to John Gibson him.  The number of cases that teams wait on the goalie vastly outnumber the rush jobs. 

At the very least, you have $9M.  Go find yourself a goalie with this year or two years left on a contract and suck it up. 

There are 2 ways this can go. A veteran experienced GM who has carte blanche on the hockey team. Or a relatively new or inexperienced guy Holmgren can have input with. I personally hope for a veteran guy who will convince Holmgren to **** can this roster and have a couple of top 3 draft picks, whilst putting a young exciting group on the ice that tries their asses off yet finishes bottom 2. Thats just me though.

36 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

There are 2 ways this can go. A veteran experienced GM who has carte blanche on the hockey team. Or a relatively new or inexperienced guy Holmgren can have input with. I personally hope for a veteran guy who will convince Holmgren to **** can this roster and have a couple of top 3 draft picks, whilst putting a young exciting group on the ice that tries their asses off yet finishes bottom 2. Thats just me though.

Listening to the presser, massive roster turnover will not happen.

They, Homer and Scott, think they should be winning now.

They also don't have a guy in mind. Which is mindblowing, 'no one is better than the guy we have now"

There must have been some interpersonal stuff too, like one too many times telling a guy to pound sand.

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just imagine if the Flyers traded back and took this kid...

...what if!!!????!!!

I can answer the what if with the only two legitimate possibilities. 

1) he'd currently be lighting up junior hockey 

2) the Flyers wouldhave brought him back too quickly or screwed up his management after his concussion and he'd be ruined already. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I can answer the what if with the only two legitimate possibilities. 

1) he'd currently be lighting up junior hockey 

2) the Flyers have brought him back too quickly or screwed up his management and he'd be ruined already. 

Kid's got 15 goals in 21 games impressive as hell.

Archived