Hakstol Fired

AJgoal

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Really, though, all could have been avoided if someone in the organization had taken PR 101 by Professor Hextall. 

Some of the less definitive social media posts said Hakstol would be fired today (true) but that a replacement may not be named immediately  (true) but seemed to indicate that Quenneville was going to be the guy (still possible).  Then, Dave Isaac was very definitive in his post that Q would be hired, which sent all of Flyerdom into a tizzy.

I still think Q takes the job, but not until after the holidays.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, vis said:

As far as the team itself, I think the roster is vastly underperforming.  As a coach, I'm sure he believes there are things he can significantly improve upon on the ice.  There is definitely talent up front.  If they can get a goaltender and a vet dman, I think they could be in good position.  They are "only" eight points out of third in the Metro and the division sucks.  They are also pretty well positioned for the future.  Aside from the circus, the team isn't in terrible shape and you know they want to win now.

I want to agree with you. I think me from a month ago probably would have. At some point though, I think it's fair to start wondering if maybe this roster isn't actually underperforming at all. Maybe this is exactly how good they are. I'm not saying that's true, but the longer things go on, the more likely that scenario becomes.

And again, if you're Coach Q, and you've explicitly stated you want to coach a contender, do the Flyers check that box at present? Latest rumour I saw was a team like the Avs interested in him. I think any quick look at the NHL today pretty clearly weighs in favour of the Avs as far as contention goes. And if not the Avs, there are others in a similar spot who are performing better than the Flyers.

If Q comes here, it seems maybe he doesn't care as much about coaching a contender as he's stated. That's possible of course, but I think we need to view it that way. To say this team is a contender but is just underperforming tremendously, well, there's just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that.

Also, as far as the playoffs go, latest numbers have the Flyers at a 7.7% chance to make the playoffs at all. If you prefer, there is a 92.3% chance they are not making the playoffs. It's tempting to believe everything could just turn around, but we do need to be realistic as well.

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hang on, folks.

I have a feeling it will be a ridiculous 48 hours for the Flyers up to the trade freeze.

You know, to follow up the previous ridiculous 48 hours. 

Which also, you know, follow the previous ridiculous 21 days. 

Gritty help us. 

Kind of reminds you of the Lindros Saga and Dry Island Sage and when both Carter /Richards traded same day ....these past 24-48 will certainly rank right up there.....

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I want to agree with you. I think me from a month ago probably would have. At some point though, I think it's fair to start wondering if maybe this roster isn't actually underperforming at all. Maybe this is exactly how good they are. I'm not saying that's true, but the longer things go on, the more likely that scenario becomes.

On paper, they are reasonably talented, especially up front.  Though, they are devoid of a strong coach/leader.  Their issues, imo, are between the ears more than on the ice.  I suspect Q sees this as well and is confident in his ability to fix the mental aspects and improve some of things they do on the ice.  Also, a reasonably capable goalie would go a long way to helping.  I have to think Fletcher is working on that.

And again, if you're Coach Q, and you've explicitly stated you want to coach a contender, do the Flyers check that box at present?

What true contender is just going to fire its coach to get Q?  If you're a contender, chances are you're happy with your coach.  So, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Latest rumour I saw was a team like the Avs interested in him. I think any quick look at the NHL today pretty clearly weighs in favour of the Avs as far as contention goes. And if not the Avs, there are others in a similar spot who are performing better than the Flyers.

Why have the Avs soured on Bednar?  Guy has done a solid job there, no?  Players seem to like him as well.  

To say this team is a contender but is just underperforming tremendously, well, there's just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that.

Also, as far as the playoffs go, latest numbers have the Flyers at a 7.7% chance to make the playoffs at all. If you prefer, there is a 92.3% chance they are not making the playoffs. It's tempting to believe everything could just turn around, but we do need to be realistic as well.

It's also not about just this year but about moving forward.  You're probably right that this year is probably not a PO year.  But if you toss a lot of $$$ at Quenneville, promise him moves are being made, point out the cap situation, maybe it's enough to entice him.  

What other jobs are either available or likely to become available after the season?  And are any of those better situations (in terms of roster, prospects and cap space) than the Flyers?

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

And again, if you're Coach Q, and you've explicitly stated you want to coach a contender, do the Flyers check that box at present? Latest rumour I saw was a team like the Avs interested in him. I think any quick look at the NHL today pretty clearly weighs in favour of the Avs as far as contention goes. And if not the Avs, there are others in a similar spot who are performing better than the Flyers.

If Q comes here, it seems maybe he doesn't care as much about coaching a contender as he's stated. That's possible of course, but I think we need to view it that way. To say this team is a contender but is just underperforming tremendously, well, there's just no evidence whatsoever to suggest that.

How many contenders are looking for a coach? There's a reason why they are contenders. Pretty sure the AV's extended there coach at the start of the season.   It will come down to money for Quenville. After what Babcock got from the Leaf's coach Q is going to get paid a lot of money. If there is a team that has the money it's the Flyers.  I remember one time I got to Golf with Hitchock. I asked him why he went to the Flyers. He said it was because Clarke drove a dump truck full money up to his house he couldn't say no.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Is that Mars? Good to know they're scouting there. Tell Bryz I said hello

It looks like that, right? No. The thing on the right is a tree. It's a still shot of someone in the woods. 

Bryz won't be there. Bears. 

Just now, brelic said:

Well kid is calling like he sees it ain't nothing wrong with that.

And he is about to sign a long contract so that has to weigh on his mind.

Now who is his next mentor going to be?

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Clearly the players were looking for answers and Hakstol had none.  Need a new perspective.

Will the players pay any attention to Scott Gordon?  I mean, why bother...

In addition to hiring Q, I suspect they are going to let him select his assistants (or at least one of them).  That will take some logistics.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Mike Babcock 

To put it in perspective:

In three-plus seasons on the job, Hakstol accumulated 134 victories, a win total that would rank the Flyers no better than sixth in the Metropolitan Division behind the Capitals (180), Penguins (160), Blue Jackets (146), Rangers (142) and even the Islanders (136). Each of those teams has turned over their head coach at least once in the time Hakstol was hired, and twice in the case of the Islanders. 

Archived