Game 17: Flyers at Bruins 11/10/19 7pm

OccamsRazor

Who knew: Flyers lead the NHL in shootout wins so far with 3. Who is this team.

After rewatching this goal again....wow love how he just picks his corner.

Flyers (10-5-2) have a season-best four-game winning streak, six-game point streak and are 8-2-1 since Oct. 21. The team's 10 wins through 17 games marks the quickest it has reached double-digit victories in a season since 2011-12.

Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek and Kevin Hayes went scoreless over the weekend and the Flyers still pulled off the back-to-back wins.

Trending the right direction is all that matters now. Rest up the #1 seed comes to Philly for showdown.

The shootout started early for the kid.

• Like 1

Here's what I noticed from up in the rafters.

Good team win. They looked completely gased in the third.  3 games in four nights will do that to you.  Getting two points out of that will do a lot to build their team character which will be needed in big games later in the season.

Farabee is undoubtedly skilled as we saw in the shootout but in my opinion could use some more seasoning in the ahl.  He really needs to focus on his skating.   He looked really slow in person and just not quite on the NHL level, specifically on Giroux's line.  No doubt Farabee has hands and is the shoot first player they need with Giroux but he's just not quite ready IMO.  The problem is, with Patrick out I'm not sure they have a better option right now.  

The team defense looked good for the most part.  There were a few times they got backed into the zone too easy.  Definitely a few lucky bounces but overall they looked good.   Bruins looked like complete garbage for the first two periods thankfully.   Fans were booing which was nice to hear for a change in that building.  

Ghost did not look comfortable.  Jake again looked lost.  Almost like he doesn't fit into this system and isn't sure what to do.  15 games in and it's starting to get concerning.   If Patrick we to come back this week, I'd sit Jake for a night or two.  Wasn't noticable all night.  

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 2

Meyers is starting to produce offense, Provy seems to be returning to form,   we just need to get Sanheim going, once that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghost get  shopped around. Ghost just cant seem to get any good open shots at the net and when he does get open he is so over eager he either misses the net or flubs the shot and breaks his stick. His defense was never anything to brag about but he isnt doing much offensively either. Is it that the other teams figured him out and know how to defend him or is he just playing like total crap. The longer Ghost goes without producing the lower his value drops. Cam York is a purely skilled dman and he will eventually replace Ghost. I truly believe the Ghosts days in Philly are numbered.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Meyers is starting to produce offense, Provy seems to be returning to form,   we just need to get Sanheim going, once that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghost get  shopped around. Ghost just cant seem to get any good open shots at the net and when he does get open he is so over eager he either misses the net or flubs the shot and breaks his stick. His defense was never anything to brag about but he isnt doing much offensively either. Is it that the other teams figured him out and know how to defend him or is he just playing like total crap. The longer Ghost goes without producing the lower his value drops. Cam York is a purely skilled dman and he will eventually replace Ghost. I truly believe the Ghosts days in Philly are numbered.

What would you trade Ghost for? Laughton will be back within 2 weeks and Frost will likely be here before January. He’s got 12 points in his last 9 games. So I think we’re set up front. Plus we have Patrick as a bonus if that ever happens. 

Moving Ghost opens a hole on defense for Hagg. That’s a weaker blueline IMO.

i don’t see anything wrong with keeping Ghost as a #5 with PP time. He’s on a reasonable salary. 

He is a perfect candidate to move when you really need to, but I don’t think we really need to right now. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, brelic said:

What would you trade Ghost for?

If we move him can we kill two birds with one stone?

I say let's package Jake and Ghost together.

I think is a solid package certainly there has to be some takers on those two.

Right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Ghost did not look comfortable.  Jake again looked lost. 

I say it's time for radical change: put Jake on D, move Ghost up to F. It's not like either of them could be worse than the other is currently. A change of scenery of sorts. 

Or just trade the fukcers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RE: Frost

people need to pump the brakes on him.

He doesn't look "out of place" in the AHL.

yes he scored last night, but that was the only time I really noticed him.

His line wasn't dominant, he didn't look dangerous all the time the way #14 and #19 from Hershey did...

Susko, Kase Criscurillo, and Carey were all better than Frost. If Criscurillo were bigger he'd be something, he's a nasty little ************ with an great motor and nice hands. 

Best players on the ice last night wore chocolate and white. 

Frost can stay put and it won't hurt him. 

Issac Ratcliffe is freaking huge, he's thin and a little gangling looking, He's smart though, you can tell he knows where to get to, once he figures out how to impose himself on the game at this level he'll be dynamite.

I mean, @brelic's point is a good one though. I am among the first in line when it comes to both Ghost and Jake, but it's not just a matter of moving them, it's also then a matter of filling their spot.

Right now, our three main RWers are TK, Farabee, and Jake. I would argue Jake is the weakest link there, but he's still an above average RW in this league. Having all three gives us three RW options that are all above average. If we lose Jake, we're presumably not getting a better RW back (why would any team do this), meaning we're almost certainly going to be weaker at that position for having lost him. So while I'm very far from being a Jake fan, I'd rather keep him than be stuck with Pitlick on the third or something.

Now, I personally have a feeling Frost will not be a centre at this level. If Frost shifts to the right and does well there, then maybe it starts to make more sense to move Jake. A lot of stuff has to happen before then though, and I could just as easily be wrong on my projection of Frost.

Ghost is maybe different, in that one-dimensional dmen are really not the best thing to hang on to. At the moment he is clearly a third pairing guy at best, he should never even sniff at a PK, and he almost always makes a giant mess of things when he's on the ice in 5v5. He's still good on the PP, but we have at least one better option there in Provo, and quite possibly more than just him at this point.

That said, what's his replacement if we lose Ghost? Hagg is a fringe NHL player at best. He's "good" at nothing, while Ghost at least has PP value. I could see maybe trading Ghost for a more responsible third pairing dman and a prospect or 1st round pick or something, but I really have no idea how that might work. It would have to be a team who really needs a PP quarterback, since that's all he really offers in terms of value. That is a valuable role of course, but it would require a very specific need on what I imagine would be a very limited set of teams (if any).

That isn't to say Ghost should be long for this team. I'm just not sure it makes a ton of sense to trade him right now in November. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right?

say this happens who's coming back ?

voracek has added petulance to his stupidity. i feel, and it looks like, he's doing it on purpose and every act that was just "typical Jake stupid" last season, like trying to skate through 3 out of 4 defenders on the PP just to lose the puck and not hurry up to even clear the zone, is now like an act of defiance and spite.

• Like 1

If we trade Ghosr this year  ot would have to be for an equaly talented young defenseman who is a top notch defender. Basically an offensive dman for a defensive one. For example ..Ghost for Parayko or someone like that.  We can gamble by holding on to Ghost and hope he has a huge second half and move him in the offseason for a big return

or if he flops again this year his value suffers even more and we get less. Or trade him now if management feels he is not gonna bounce back.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Sanheim is going.  He's even staying on his feet.  That's all he really needed to do differently.  He doesn't need to be scoring to be helping the team win and when he stays on his skates, he does just that.

He did some fantastic stuff last night... just didn't result in a point. 

I don't think Ghost gets shopped around.  At most, I think he just won't be protected in the Seattle draft.  What? you say, Give him up for nothing?!?!  What are they going to get for him that they need?  The thing this team needs most is a 3C and they have one crushing it in LHV and they're just refusing to bring him up.

Alternatively, they could have claimed Spezza off waivers for a mere 700k which also could have fixed the problem.

I'd consider sending him to the west coast for a decent enough draft pick, but I wouldn't necessarily think we're getting a first for him.

In the meantime, with Morin done for the year again, what are they going to do?   replace him with Hagg? 

The larger issue IMHO is his usual partner (and someone who could theoretically be replaced with Hagg), Braun.  Seems like he's always the one on the ice and the one directly missing a clear or coverage when a back breaking or game tying goal gets scored.  

I'd like to see Braun sit for a few games.  Maybe platoon with Hagg more.  Braun's 32, which isn't old by any stretch but when they have 4 games in 6 nights and he's struggling in the first 2, maybe he doesn't need to play BOTH the back to back games? 

They're winning, so it's hard to complain too much, but they're just barely winning (albeit against VERY good teams that are -or at least were- above them in the standings).  

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right?

There isn't a single team in the league who can afford Ghost and Jake.  

Honestly, The idea of trading either one of them before bringing up Frost and benching Braun is short sighted insanity to me.  

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we trade Ghosr this year  ot would have to be for an equaly talented young defenseman who is a top notch defender. Basically an offensive dman for a defensive one. For example ..Ghost for Parayko or someone like that.  We can gamble by holding on to Ghost and hope he has a huge second half and move him in the offseason for a big return

or if he flops again this year his value suffers even more and we get less. Or trade him now if management feels he is not gonna bounce back.

I'm with you on the idea of moving Ghost for a more defensive kind of dman (not exactly a very high bar in terms of comparisons). This would have to be a team that is A) in the hunt for a playoff spot, B) in major need of a PP QB, and C) has a surplus in more rounded, defensively sound dmen.

PP weakness is the easiest to look at. The bottom ten in terms of PP success right now:

OTT, ANA, LAK, PIT (!!), DAL, NJD, CBJ, CHI, DET, ARI

And there's the problem. Virtually all of those teams are not realistic bets to make the playoffs. They're bottom dwellers all around for very good reasons. The only notable exception here is the Pens, which obviously is unlikely to happen for all of a million reasons.

So the likelihood of a team gambling on Ghost and offering back a more rounded guy seems unlikely to me at this point.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I say it's time for radical change: put Jake on D, move Ghost up to F. It's not like either of them could be worse than the other is currently. A change of scenery of sorts. 

Or just trade the fukcers. 

I've wanted Ghost at wing for a while now

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

There isn't a single team in the league who can afford Ghost and Jake. 

There are a few team that can afford them.

No one said trade them in a salary dump where the Flyers get just picks and the other takes on 13 million in salary.

I'm talking reality not fantasy on the PS4.

I'm not going to waste a bunch of time coming up with the scenario that might work for a bunch of arm chair GMs here to shoot back "blah blah blah blah that won't work cause blah blah blah..."

...nope not going to waste the time but it can be done.

Chuckles has to make up his mind to do it.

Till then we'll just speculate away.

Both those guys have value they just might need a wake up JVR like trade to wake them up.

LA was having some issues with guys they need to sign or move explore that some...

Edited by OccamsRazor
not trying to be an arse just to many here just want to complain not offer solutions

7 hours ago, Digityman said:

Farabee is undoubtedly skilled as we saw in the shootout but in my opinion could use some more seasoning in the ahl.  He really needs to focus on his skating. 

Not likely to happen, but possible.  I say that mostly because he's now been up over ten games and is burning his first year.

The other reason is because I strongly disagree about the skating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Digityman said:

Jake again looked lost.  Almost like he doesn't fit into this system and isn't sure what to do.  15 games in and it's starting to get concerning.   If Patrick we to come back this week, I'd sit Jake for a night or two.  Wasn't noticable all night.  

Agree about Jake (who I simply cannot stand).   The only time he was noticeable was in a bad way.  Simply horrible.

• Like 1