Game 67: Hurricanes at Flyers; 3/5/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are favorites:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/3-5-2020/carolina-hurricanes-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-3529/

Are we going to show fatigue after a tough game?  Will Hart be at the top of his game?  The Hurricanes have played well against the Flyers (five of last seven) recently.  It will be interesting.

Can they make it 8 in a row???

Canes are rested and desperate for wins. They are on the outside looking in right now.

But they have 4 games in hand on the Blue Jackets.

Flyers don't let them up off the mat. 

Image result for finish them gif

Finish them.

Edited by OccamsRazor

After beating division rivals NYR twice and the Caps, we have to be wary of the dreaded psychological letdown and then we face Buffalo. It’s hard to get up for those games coming off the previous games. We need to stay focused , every game is so important with the parity in the league.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

After beating division rivals NYR twice and the Caps, we have to be wary of the dreaded psychological letdown and then we face Buffalo. It’s hard to get up for those games coming off the previous games. We need to stay focused , every game is so important with the parity in the league.

They're due for a letdown and a loss. It's inevitable. Maybe not this game but soon. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

They're due for a letdown and a loss. It's inevitable. Maybe not this game but soon. 

Yeah. It doesn't take much, an off game by Hart, bad bounces, refs deciding the game. Whatever.

I know every game, every point matters, but I think the focus has to be, more than ever, on *how* they are playing, not the outcome. "Play the right way" - one of AV's favorite expressions. The rest will take care of itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah. It doesn't take much, an off game by Hart, bad bounces, refs deciding the game. Whatever.

I know every game, every point matters, but I think the focus has to be, more than ever, on *how* they are playing, not the outcome. "Play the right way" - one of AV's favorite expressions. The rest will take care of itself.

Trust.....the....process 

<mic drop>

Just now, CoachX said:

Trust.....the....process 

Exactly right. Stay on course, regardless of what the score is, or how bad the refs are, or who is having an off night. Stay the course. Play the right way, play for the guy beside you.

• Like 1

I'd really not like to see an "eggs" laid.   If they keep playing their game but are just a little off, tired or bad bounces, that's fine.   Ideally though, Hart steals this team a win tonight and the team repays him on Saturday.  (Although I could see Elliot getting Saturday's game and Hart the 2 next week).   

Hart needs to get used to playing every other night because in just a 5 weeks, it's going to start happening consistently.  

2 more wins puts them at home on Tuesday (2 days rest) against the Bruins.    Then Thursday against the Lightning away. 

That's where we'll see 1 or even 2 loses.     After that this team goes 2/3 wins 1 loss the rest of the way.  

Edited by Digityman

42 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not allowed to add any more reactions, I guess I overdid it last night.

This is not possible. No off nights. Time for fans to up our game

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Good i thought i was going to have to retire this meme...i'll keep it on hand...

Image result for oh no we suck again meme

...i dusted it off and have it on the ready......say when.

• Haha 1

The game last night showed again that this team gets stronger as the game goes on. Its seems like they turn it on in the 2nd, then run you down in the 3rd. 

If they can continue to play strong D in the first, and cut down on the late gaffs leading to goals, they are going to be scary tough come playoff time.

Good coaching makes the difference 

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
49 Joel Farabee - 38 Derek Grant - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 44 Nate Thompson - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Grant, Hayes, Aube-Kubel, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (healthy), 25 James van Riemsdyk (hand).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

HURRICANES

37 Andrei Svechnikov - 20 Sebastian Aho - 86 Teuvo Teräväinen
21 Nino Niederreiter - 16 Vincent Trocheck - 88 Martin Necas
13 Warren Foegele - 11 Jordan Staal - 14 Justin Williams
18 Ryan Dzingel - 48 Jordan Martinook - 23 Brock McGinn

74 Jaccob Slavin - 6 Joel Edmundson
51 Jake Gardiner - 57 Trevor van Riemsdyk
4 Haydn Fleury - 76 Brady Skjei

39 Alex Nedeljkovic
31 Anton Forsberg

Power Play 1: Svechnikov, Aho, Williams, Teräväinen, Slavin
Power Play 2: Niederreiter, Dzingel, Trocheck, Gardiner, Necas

Scratches: 34 Petr Mrazek (concussion), 47 James Reimer (lower body).
IR: 19 Dougie Hamilton (broken fibula, Jan. 15), 22 Brett Pesce (shoulder, Feb. 21), 45 Sami Vatanen (leg, Feb. 2)

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The game last night showed again that this team gets stronger as the game goes on. Its seems like they turn it on in the 2nd, then run you down in the 3rd. 

It's because finally they are coming at you in waves, everyone is moving their feet (even JVR and Jake) and getting to loose pucks and when they do get to the pucks they are immediately getting the transition game going and getting the puck into the other end of the ice for some shots on the opposing goalie.

And on a lot of the offensive chances the D man are showing the maturity that comes with experience and good coaching to know when to activate and pinch and add some offensive punch like exhibit A...

...4 lines rolling and backchecking when they need too...3 pairs defending and getting pucks out and then helping the forwards out.

Then everyone supporting and helping protect their goalie. And here we are with a 7 game win streak...hard work paying off.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

This to me is the important part and why this team feels different than the last 8 or 9 years.  They may lose a close game or two in a row, they may have a bad first period and get blown out, but they don't seem to have extended stretches of just being repeatedly outplayed.

For years the Flyers would get pinned in the defensive zone for nearly periods at a time.  My favorite part of this team is how quickly they get control of the puck in the defensive zone and transition up ice.  The first guy gets it in the corner and immediately makes a very short chip/pass to another guy nearby who skates it out of the zone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

My favorite part of this team is how quickly they get control of the puck in the defensive zone and transition up ice. 

Yeah, this has been a huge improvement. Probably the most important structural change.

Partly the maturing of good puck moving Dmen, partly great puck support by the forwards, and partly great coaching. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So they are facing a AHL goalie tonight...so yeah if they continue to play like they have no reason they can't chase this guy by the start of the 3rd....please fellas don't have a let down tonight...

I have tix for Saturday... I'd like to see the streak reach 10 you know what i'm saying.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

So my question is: does the stupid new e-puck help tell us that TK's disallowed goal from last night was across the line? If it deosn't do that, then what's the point. It's just gimmickry otherwise. 

• Like 3

Just now, Podein25 said:

So my question is: does the stupid new e-puck help tell us that TK's disallowed goal from last night was across the line? If it deosn't do that, then what's the point. It's just gimmickry otherwise. 

only if the goal line and or cage has sensors too right ? I don't think gps is accurate down to 4 inches...at least not commercial applications.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Totally agree. If there is technology that makes goals like this more obvious,  then get it going.

I would think more cameras inside goalposts would be the obvious solution