Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

i mean price is not made of glass either, i mean tampa won ugly 2-1 last night, sometimes you have to give credit to the goalies too, there's alot of good defensive teams in the playoffs, so it's going to be tough to score goals, we just have to score ugly.

The advanced stat-Corsi types confirm the eye test on this series.  Montreal is driving play.  Ghost vs. Hagg is a trade-off between defensive responsibility and offensive potential.  Ghost's differential on the Corsi front is better than Hagg's, but if you are conservative, you prefer defensive responsibility in the playoffs.

I hope Grant-Pitlick-Raffl plays more to drive play and wear out the Canadiens.  

Overall, you can't be happy with the PP or overall lack of offense even if this is a goalie showcase.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Overall, you can't be happy with the PP or overall lack of offense even if this is a goalie showcase.

Yeah Vancouver has the top PP with 10 goals so far.

The only East coast team in the top 5 is the Isles.

And the Flyers have the worse PP actually only 23rd the worst was the Ramgers but they are out already so technically the Flyers have no where to go but up.

But I guess it could be worse the Stars have already given up 3 shorties and the Canes 2.

Flyers have the 16th ranked PK.

But the number looks worse when you consider the 8 teams worse than them have been eliminated already.

And funny Isles have the best PP yet also the worse PK.

The worst PKs are Blues, Yotes and Isles.

Oh just numbers all I care about is Ws!

Flyers need 14 more!!!!

• Like 1

Messy series so far. I have to say the Habs have largely outplayed the Flyers pretty much the whole time. PHI has gotten a sizable amount of luck to make it 2-1, and I'm not sure how long that can last.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it feels like the only thing that gets past Price is some oddball deflective dirty goal (see: Voracek). I'll take it of course, but that definitely makes games significantly harder to win. He's also been a menace with the puck handling. MTL's gameplay seems to be mostly just force dumps into the zone and let Price handle it. Combine the dirty goals with MTL's awful luck in hitting so many posts, and I have to assume all that luck is bound to run dry eventually.

It's also worth noting how much faster the Habs seem to be on the ice. They've been beating the Flyers to pucks at a ridiculous rate. Again, these are all things making it much harder to beat a team that really wouldn't even be in the playoffs at all if not for such awful circumstances.

I will say this too: The Habs are playing much much better than any of Boston, Tampa, or Washington did in the round robin. I didn't watch much of them during the season, but I have no idea how this team ends up 24th in the league with the way they're playing in these playoffs. Do they regularly play this well early in the season? Maybe they're just a team that burns out mid way usually.

• Like 1

My gut feeling: the more this round last, the higher chances the Flyers have. Montréal has zero depth and have no defense. They only rely on Price to keep the team afloat. They are playing relentless in all out attack mode right now because they have no other options.

Like other bottom teams, Habs often cause some surprise in the first part of the season before fading and falling apart in the last rush of the season. It's a team that finished winless against the Dead Wings, and all of a sudden they have been rewarded another chance and have nothing to lose. For them, it's like a brand new season, a fresh start directly in playoffs.

I'm confident the Flyers will switch on the playoffs mode at some point and pass through this crab basket.

30 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Montréal has zero depth and have no defense. They only rely on Price to keep the team afloat.

Thats looking like a pretty solid plan. Conversely,  the flyers have no offense, no puck control,  no PP, and are relying on defense and Hart to keep them afloat

Id like to see JVR and Ghost remain on the bench. And more movement on the PP, assuming they can gain the zone

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Id like to see JVR and Ghost remain on the bench. And more movement on the PP, assuming they can gain the zone

I'd like to see JVR in a Kraken jersey. But if he doesn't make himself useful this postseason we're likely going to be stuck with him.

• Like 1

I could have added they also had a negative against the Devils while often getting to OT/SO with other bottom feeders like the Ducks and the Senators. They had two 8-game and one 5-game losing streak, so it reflects a bit the strength of this team.

Montréal is now like a limited laptop trying to run 43 programs simultaneously. They have no RAM left, memory tops its limits, the fan is blowing at maximum capacity, the machine is about either to fly or burn. On the other side, Philly has many options down with IT guys still searching on how to turn them on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd like to see JVR in a Kraken jersey. But if he doesn't make himself useful this postseason we're likely going to be stuck with him.

Barring some incredible offense explosion, JVR will be moved in the offseason

No way AV gets anchored to this turd

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Combine the dirty goals with MTL's awful luck in hitting so many posts

Sorry but I disagree this is not awful puck luck...

What you don't see on that play is right before that Hayes put a shot on net from close to the same angle and it bounced all the way out the zone the other way which lead to that goal.

Did they hit some posts last game sure but that was only due to there was nowhere to really shoot because of Hart and he precise angle cut down.

Flywrs have had their fair share of post too.

In fact in the 5-0 game the Flyers missed 3 wide open nets, Thompson, Laughton and i forget who the 3rd one was.

What I agree with is yes their speed is frustrating the Flyers from the soul purpose of they are just getting to the dump in much quicker than the Flyers and when they aren't Price is breaking up a play and creating a transition to the offensive zone for the Flyers which I think they seem to have figure out some.

It's just the Flyers have to continue to figure it out and execute the plays that are there.

Stop taking all the outside perimeter shots.

Trying and get down low for some better quality shots and maybe some traffic out front and look for some more deflections like Jake's.

Flyers had a good period. Lots of pressure. Its a good sign

That said, they all still act like they are shocked anytime a puck comes to them. And they are still trying to be cute with the puck, causing indecisiveness, ala Provy turning the puck over in the D zone

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Vancouver has the top PP with 10 goals so far.

The only East coast team in the top 5 is the Isles.

And the Flyers have the worse PP actually only 23rd the worst was the Ramgers but they are out already so technically the Flyers have no where to go but up.

But I guess it could be worse the Stars have already given up 3 shorties and the Canes 2.

Flyers have the 16th ranked PK.

But the number looks worse when you consider the 8 teams worse than them have been eliminated already.

And funny Isles have the best PP yet also the worse PK.

The worst PKs are Blues, Yotes and Isles.

Oh just numbers all I care about is Ws!

Flyers need 14 more!!!!

some fans dont like defensive first hockey, they want every game to be 10 or more goals like that's not going to happen unless you are playing against an average goalie. alot of teams that have won cups are great defensive teams. i mean it would be great to have a crosby like player on this team but we dont have that player, so the only way we can beat these teams is play good defense and score on the dirty plays.

Edited by tucson83