The North Division is where the Firepower is

WordsOfWisdom

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The North division is where offence lives in the NHL so far this season

Sure but defense wins Championships!!!!

The two hardest to score against???

Tampa and Vegas is who is would model my team's game after....

..with that said the Flyers have 38 goals without their top forward so i'll take it.

But they have a long ways to go to be like the top two. The Leafs too.

And WTF has happened to Vancouver is this because they don't have Markstrom??

And you know when we prorate because everyone hasn't played the same amount of games it looks less dominating.

• Like 2

The North Division is where the most terrible defense and goaltending is.

I watched a couple of games and sometimes that was really embarrassing, especially the Canucks, Oilers, Senators and the Jets to a lesser extent.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but defense wins Championships!!!!

And WTF has happened to Vancouver is this because they don't have Markstrom??

RE: Vancouver if I may...

Canucks are a bit of a head scratcher at this point. They SHOULD be doing better than they are at the moment.
Sure, losing Markstrom was big, but Demko was supposed to take steps forward, not backward like he has, and the combination of he and Holtby should have been more than enough to offset losing Markstrom.

I think the real issue with the Canucks is on defense.
They lost two underrated but solid veteran defenders in Chris Tanev and Troy Stetcher, and really only replaced them with Nate Schmidt, who is good too, but still, that is a two to one loss on the blue line, and it has forced Quinn Hughes to take on more responsibility (he is good but ideally, you'd want to bring him along more slowly), and it elevates bottom pair guys like Jordie Benn and possibly Tyler Myers into roles they aren't exactly suited for.

Also, vet Alex Edler hasn't been his usual physically dominating self on the blue line either.

Up front, Tyler Toffoli has proven to be a bigger loss than ANYONE, myself included, would have thought!
As you know, he is killing it for the Canadiens, and the Canucks sure would have loved that kind of production to stay on with them with the up front talent they have now.

Season is still young, Canucks are still moving in the right direction, stumbling and bumbling aside.
I have faith they will finish in the top four and make the playoffs.
If their defense and goaltending rounds into what it COULD be, then maybe even the "mighty" Leafs will have something to worry about in Vancouver.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Canucks are a bit of a head scratcher at this point. They SHOULD be doing better than they are at the moment.
Sure, losing Markstrom was big, but Demko was supposed to take steps forward, not backward like he has, and the combination of he and Holtby should have been more than enough to offset losing Markstrom.

I think the real issue with the Canucks is on defense.
They lost two underrated but solid veteran defenders in Chris Tanev and Troy Stetcher, and really only replaced them with Nate Schmidt, who is good too, but still, that is a two to one loss on the blue line, and it has forced Quinn Hughes to take on more responsibility (he is good but ideally, you'd want to bring him along more slowly), and it elevates bottom pair guys like Jordie Benn and possibly Tyler Myers into roles they aren't exactly suited for.

Also, vet Alex Edler hasn't been his usual physically dominating self on the blue line either.

Up front, Tyler Toffoli has proven to be a bigger loss than ANYONE, myself included, would have thought!
As you know, he is killing it for the Canadiens, and the Canucks sure would have loved that kind of production to stay on with them with the up front talent they have now.

Season is still young, Canucks are still moving in the right direction, stumbling and bumbling aside.
I have faith they will finish in the top four and make the playoffs.
If their defense and goaltending rounds into what it COULD be, then maybe even the "mighty" Leafs will have something to worry about in Vancouver.

Yes all great points the defensemen and the forwards along with the goalie had a negative synergistic affect.

32 minutes ago, Math said:

I watched a couple of games and sometimes that was really embarrassing, especially the Canucks, Oilers, Senators and the Jets to a lesser extent.

^^^^^ this x100 ^^^^

39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

the combination of he and Holtby should have been more than enough to offset losing Markstrom.

Holtby is done.  It was actually painfully obvious last year that he was diminishing.  It's why the Caps were okay going with Samsonov, even though there was no particular reason to think he was that good either.

I agree with much of what you said but just wanted to comment on that part.  Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Holtby is done. 

Is he??

I guess that would explain a lot this year i can say i have not watched another game the Flyers weren't playing in i just haven't had the time lately.

Of all the goalies in the division Hell boy is my favorite.

"The North division is where the firepower is."

If defined as "most scoring," yes.   Not necessarily because of the best scorers.   It's mostly because it has the worst defense and goaltending.

It's like the headline "Necrophiliacs  Anonymous is where the action is!"

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Holtby is done.  It was actually painfully obvious last year that he was diminishing.  It's why the Caps were okay going with Samsonov, even though there was no particular reason to think he was that good either.

I agree with much of what you said but just wanted to comment on that part.  Carry on.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Holtby is done, and the North division doesn't have a lot of great blueliners OR goaltenders, for that matter.

You two are making me VERY sad..... 😥

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is he??

I guess that would explain a lot this year i can say i have not watched another game the Flyers weren't playing in i just haven't had the time lately.

Of all the goalies in the division Hell boy is my favorite.

Same, actually.    I was going to say "followed, I guess, by Markstrom."   But that may be because of the competition. LOL   

Gotta respect Price, but I can't say I like him.    

The rest...meh.

Yeah, Holtby just doesn't inspire any confidence.  Just kind of diminishing maybe over the last 2 years (I'm not sure I'd go back that far), but definitely starting last year.

• Like 1

You see the beauty of STAT's is that if you work hard enough they will always tell the truth.

If you level the playing field one will find that scoring is relatively close among all the teams...straight up total goals is NOT a good indicator .....

Lets look at Goals/Game ......

Team GP GF/GP
Montréal Canadiens 11 4.18
Dallas Stars 8 4.00
Florida Panthers 7 3.71
Toronto Maple Leafs 11 3.64
Tampa Bay Lightning 8 3.63
Washington Capitals 11 3.55
Winnipeg Jets 11 3.55
Edmonton Oilers 12 3.50
Colorado Avalanche 11 3.45
St. Louis Blues 11 3.45
Philadelphia Flyers 11 3.45
Vancouver Canucks 14 3.36
Vegas Golden Knights 7 3.29
Boston Bruins 10 3.20
Carolina Hurricanes 8 3.00
Chicago Blackhawks 12 2.92
New York Rangers 10 2.90
Los Angeles Kings 9 2.89
Buffalo Sabres 10 2.80
Pittsburgh Penguins 10 2.80
Minnesota Wild 11 2.73
Arizona Coyotes 10 2.70
Nashville Predators 10 2.70
Calgary Flames 10 2.60
New Jersey Devils 9 2.56
San Jose Sharks 8 2.50
Columbus Blue Jackets 12 2.50
Ottawa Senators 11 2.45
New York Islanders 9 2.11
Detroit Red Wings 11 1.91
Anaheim Ducks 11 1.73

The North really does not have all this fire power.  Only the Habs are aver greater than 4 goals per game.

AND ....if you prorate the number of total goals scored over 56 games ...it is even more even.

GP
GF GA DIFF Prorated
Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens
11 46 30 16 234
Dallas StarsDallas Stars
8 32 21 11 224
Florida PanthersFlorida Panthers
7 27 22 5 216
Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs
11 40 32 8 204
Washington CapitalsWashington Capitals
11 40 38 2 204
Tampa Bay LightningTampa Bay Lightning
8 29 17 12 203
Winnipeg JetsWinnipeg Jets
11 39 32 7 199
St. Louis BluesSt. Louis Blues
11 39 36 3 199
Edmonton OilersEdmonton Oilers
12 42 43 -1 196
Philadelphia FlyersPhiladelphia Flyers
11 38 35 3 193
Colorado AvalancheColorado Avalanche
11 38 24 14 193
Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks
14 48 55 -7 192
Boston BruinsBoston Bruins
10 34 23 11 190
Vegas Golden KnightsVegas Golden Knights
7 23 17 6 184
Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes
8 26 19 7 182
Pittsburgh PenguinsPittsburgh Penguins
10 30 37 -7 168
Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres
10 30 32 -2 168
Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks
12 35 39 -4 163
New York RangersNew York Rangers
10 29 28 1 162
Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings
9 26 29 -3 162
Nashville PredatorsNashville Predators
10 28 34 -6 157
San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks
8 22 31 -9 154
Minnesota WildMinnesota Wild
11 30 30 0 153
Arizona CoyotesArizona Coyotes
10 27 29 -2 151
Calgary FlamesCalgary Flames
10 27 27 0 151
Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue Jackets
12 31 37 -6 145
New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils
9 23 26 -3 143
Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
11 27 50 -23 137
New York IslandersNew York Islanders
9 19 24 -5 118
Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
11 21 40 -19 107
Anaheim DucksAnaheim Ducks
11 19 28 -9 97
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Holtby is done, and the North division doesn't have a lot of great blueliners OR goaltenders, for that matter.

It only seems that way because of the immense, almost limitless firepower from the forward lines.  😇

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

2 hours ago, Math said:

You see what it does to a team's GAA when they have to face the Leafs 3x per week?  🤩

2 hours ago, Math said:

The Leafs forwards have a way of doing that to opposing teams I know.  (Sorry, I can't help myself. My bad.)  

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You're so polite. I want to hug you!  😃

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

maybe even the "mighty" Leafs

I see what you did there. That kind of sass talk gets hug privileges revoked lol.  🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

"The North division is where the firepower is."

If defined as "most scoring," yes.   Not necessarily because of the best scorers.   It's mostly because it has the worst defense and goaltending.

It's like the headline "Necrophiliacs  Anonymous is where the action is!"

I hope nobody will try to taint Auston Matthew's Rocket Richard trophy victory this season when it happens, or McJesus's Art Ross trophy.  😔

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I hope nobody will try to taint Auston Matthew's Rocket Richard trophy victory this season when it happens, or McJesus's Art Ross trophy.  😔

Yeah, well, the Canadian teams are the worst at getting COVID.

I wish I had thought of this when drafting in fantasy (draft ONLY northern division players).  It makes sense and should have been apparent, but it just didn't occur to me.

@pilldoc's numbers really put that fact in stark relief.

To take your side a little, the criticism of the defense and goalies really does amount to a chicken/egg argument. It's certainly arguable that the defense looks bad because the offense is good. Though I don't think the defense bring played is good on its own.   Probably a mixture of both.

Given the numbers Doc posted, I'll be interested in seeing if the average bear out as the ICU divisions catch up with number of games. The make up games presumably will make a very tight schedule later on with less rest. That will likely affect the scoring but I can't get my mind around which way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I disagree. I just got rid of Holtby in my Conn Smythe FHL, so now he'll probably go on to win the Vezina.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I disagree. I just got rid of Holtby in my Conn Smythe FHL, so now he'll probably go on to win the Vezina.

Nope. He's simply done. It's not that his defense stinks (though it does). He's slowed a bit in his reactions. I don't know if it's physical or cognitive. If it's the latter, maybe it can improve some, but I don't know. It was becoming noticeable last year and I think that's why the Caps --aside from cap space--didn't blink on moving on from him.

He was a bit of a fantasy disaster last year, too, even on the Caps. No way I'm touching him this year, right out of the gate.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It only seems that way because of the immense, almost limitless firepower from the forward lines.  😇

Did you really post a Vid about Spezza and firepower... (SMH) ......  He has been a middling forward for years except for one notable year (2011-12) .......

His past 3 years in Dallas have been complete suckage ........ 

image.png.80223f5eeb7bd741b2147d6d164aca04.png

thanks for the chuckle ...... it made me smile on an otherwise quiet night here at work ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up just south of the 🇨🇦 border, playing puck and watching Hockey Night in Canada. Big Jets fan, attended many games in Winnipeg, will again we can.

I find myself watching a lot of Canadian games these days. Announcers don't coddle players when they make terrible plays. Plus new national story lines daily.

It's a lot of fun, and throwing in the NHL's Ugly Christmas Sweater contest this season just adds to the aura...Go Jets Go!🏒🥅

• Like 2