What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

Just now, tucson83 said:

Semantics they went out and traded for him then signed him to a big deal.

Doesn’t matter how the acquired him just that they did.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He can't he is under contract. But Ron could have traded for him instead of signing JVR.

Just saying.

well then, he can eat schidt!

but you make a good point

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He can't he is under contract. But Ron could have traded for him instead of signing JVR.

Just saying.

yeah, i know that's the biggest reason hextall should have fired after that offseason. i wanted him more than everyone.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, ruxpin said:

This.  1000x this.  (except the "up his sleeve" part.  You just know it's boogers.)

are they there because

A. too lazy to grab a tissue    or

B. hiding spot for a quick snack  

🤨 

😏

One thing about Hexy was that he was soo focused on building the team that he bypassed players that weren't "ready" to be picked in his mind until the table was set, with homegrown talent. Two years away from being two years away. That was such a tough time to be a Flyers fan, because you understood the reasoning, to not swing hard yet, because the "opening" wasn't there yet.

The Oreilly trade I can see as what was the reasoning bypassing him on a trade, was there some talk on the phone that went south. I know Hextall was very shrewd and always wanted the upper hand on trades. Maybe he didn't want to give away picks, since he valued them very highly?

Now we have Fletcher and I think he will make a trade like that. Just concerned how much cap is going to be lost on the players he acquires. 

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Semantics they went out and traded for him then signed him to a big deal.

Doesn’t matter how the acquired him just that they did.

In think it sort of does in this instance since that's exactly what tucson said...and the other thing is when was the last time a big time fa signed with a team and won a cup immediately, hossa with chicago? if you look at all the cup teams after 2010, besides chicago, la, st.louis, pittsburgh, washington, tampa, none of them had big fa signings, everything was trades and depth signings.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

If you mean St. Louis, he wasn't an FA; they traded for him.

And he had an impact. Ron had a chance to trade for him but he needed a floater so he opted to hand JVR 7 mil a year.

Bottom line he failed the Flyers and they are paying for it today still.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And he had an impact. Ron had a chance to trade for him but he needed a floater so he opted to hand JVR 7 mil a year.

I don't disagree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't disagree.

same here, on another note flyers fans are already trying to hang chuck fletcher because he hasnt made moves yet like other teams havent made trades yet either because of the expansion draft, just like fletch, no teams want to lose players of value to the kraken, that's what happens when you make trades.

they just dont get it.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't disagree.

Friedman was just on the radio saying that Jones is not willing to sign an extension in Philly yet so I think that takes him out the running to fill a need for the Flyers.

I think a saving grace.

Eklund is saying Nashville and Philly are talking Nolan Patrick again.

And it centers around Ryan Ellis.

For Patrick and what depends on if I like this deal a lot.

At this point if you can get anything of value for NP you might have to do it to get the drama over with.

Especially if he doesn't want to be here good riddance.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Friedman was just on the radio saying that Jones is not willing to sign an extension in Philly yet so I think that takes him out the running to fill a need for the Flyers.

I think a saving grace.

Eklund is saying Nashville and Philly are talking Nolan Patrick again.

And it centers around Ryan Ellis.

For Patrick and what depends on if I like this deal a lot.

At this point if you can get anything of value for NP you might have to do it to get the drama over with.

Especially if he doesn't want to be here good riddance.

I do Patrick and a mid-round pick for Ellis.   Nothing more.   I think that gets it done.   Anything more and Fletcher is Homeresque bidding against himself.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I do Patrick and a mid-round pick for Ellis.   Nothing more.   I think that gets it done.   Anything more and Fletcher is Homeresque bidding against himself.

Even throwing in a late round pick on top of that is OK, though I wouldn't be thrilled with it. I would do that, just so we can get rid of Patrick and upgrade the D. Agreed that Fletcher should not give any early round picks away here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

same here, on another note flyers fans are already trying to hang chuck fletcher because he hasnt made moves yet like other teams havent made trades yet either because of the expansion draft, just like fletch, no teams want to lose players of value to the kraken, that's what happens when you make trades.

they just dont get it.

I don't know if it's that.  My concern with Fletcher is that he's shown in the past to value wrong players (lol at giving up Alex Tuch to protect Jordan Greenway) and he will take packages for pennies on the dollar (the Brent Burns trade is a good example) or he overpay something fierce (Martin Hanzal was a great example of overpaying for a bad player and not insisting in a medical and it turned out Hanzal had a bad back). Add in that Holmgren is an advisor to Dave Scott and it's possible that they'll force Fletcher into making bad moves. Fletcher, to me, seems to be a Holmgren puppet and that he'll end up making moves because Holmgren says so. Now,  I get people don't want him to be overly cautious like Hextall was,  but at the same time, I fear that we're going to have a scorched earth approach like Holmgren. 

Now,  I'd he moves Patrick and a mid round pick for Ryan Ellis, I can live with that. And no, I don't want any party of Jack Eichel and that bad neck. If he needs the surgery to replace the discs in his neck,  that could really bad. I had that surgery and when it didn't take,  they had to fuse my neck. So, I've got two artificial discs between vertebrates C3, C4 and C5; party of my pelvis bone was grafted and used to rise my neck and I've got a nice 4 inch scar on my neck from the fusion. That's the possibility with Eichel. And the fact Buffalo seems to be hush hush about Eichel and his neck should speak in volumes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just so we're clear here - Hextall failed the team by not trading for a guy who was whining his way out of his second franchise, publicly questioning whether he wanted to play the game, having already played the "I'm going to Russia" card?

I know hindsight is 20/20 but this is some next level stuff here. The first rounder they would have dealt was Cam York.

He added the second most valuable UFA on the market and lost nothing from his roster for it. It just so happened that UFA was JVR but if the core VeeGees were what they were cracked up to be that c/should have been a solid move.

Hextall had some issues but not trading for O'Reilly isn't even in the top half of the problems.

And in terms of who failed the franchise and put them firmly on the road to where they are you should check on the guy that fired Hextall and is still a senior advisor to the organization*.

• Good Post 2

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

Just so we're clear here - Hextall failed the team by not trading for a guy who was whining his way out of his second franchise, publicly questioning whether he wanted to play the game, having already played the "I'm going to Russia" card?

I know hindsight is 20/20 but this is some next level stuff here. The first rounder they would have dealt was Cam York.

He added the second most valuable UFA on the market and lost nothing from his roster for it. It just so happened that UFA was JVR but if the core VeeGees were what they were cracked up to be that c/should have been a solid move.

Hextall had some issues but not trading for O'Reilly isn't even in the top half of the problems.

And in terms of who failed the franchise and put them firmly on the road to where they are you should check on the guy that fired Hextall and is still a senior advisor to the organization*.

I wouldn't say Hextall failed not getting O'Reilly (though I know you were directing your comment at OR). I would say two things, though. One, we don't know if York really is going to be great or even good. Two, we do know that O'Reilly is quite good. You are correct, however, that trading for O'Reilly would not solve the top half of our problems, though he and Coots as our 1 and 2 centers, makes us unquestionably a better team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

though he and Coots as our 1 and 2 centers, makes us unquestionably a better team.

Sure, assuming O'Reilly pans out in PHL as he did in STL.

He wasn't "that guy" in 2018. He was a perpetually disgruntled player who was quitting on his second franchise.

I agree in hindsight it looks great. But everything can look great in hindsight.

I like the player - I had him on my FHL roster.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers are loaded at RW Jake on my team right now slots in on the 3rd.

I see, you take the leading points producer on the team (along with Giroux and JVR) and stick him on a checking line. Yikes. And who do you like better on the RW top line? Does Giroux skate 3rd line minutes as well?

Look I'm all for betting on the youth too but until Konecny gets his game together and JF is more than a one-year sensation I think we'll need to stick with some experienced scorers on our top lines. Are any of the 3 the best money can buy? Of course not. It just happens to be who the Flyers got - and for a few more years. Maybe the Kracken take JVR I certainly hope so. Rather it be Hayes but he's automatically protected with his NMC I think.

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I see, you take the leading points producer on the team (along with Giroux and JVR) and stick him on a checking line. Yikes. And who do you like better on the RW top line? Does Giroux skate 3rd line minutes as well?

Well, the leading points producer, Voracek, was a -12. Konecny stays on the top line at RW, until they find someone better in free agency, or via trade.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Yeah.

• Like 1