Open Question: How Many People are Cheering for the Leafs to end their Cup Drought?

WordsOfWisdom

I can remember when the NY Rangers had their 50 year Cup drought and people wanted them to win in 1994. 

I can remember when Chicago ended their Cup drought. Once again, it felt like the entire hockey world was rooting for them.

So honestly and truly, if YOUR favourite team is out, would you be rooting for Toronto to win?

I know Toronto gets slapped with the label of "most hated" franchise in hockey... but why? People hate the Yankees because they win all the time. What's to hate about Toronto? There's probably more fans in Toronto watching Tampa hoist the Stanley Cup last year than there are in Tampa (for example). Toronto does soooooooooooo much for the NHL. A Stanley Cup for Toronto would almost be like a "thank you" for all the billions of dollars this franchise and its fans have pumped into this league. IMHO, no franchise in pro sports deserves a championship more than Toronto. 

You all saw the reception the Raptors got (biggest NBA parade in NBA history). I think Toronto could remind the NHL what a Stanley Cup parade really is... and why it doesn't simply involve walking around an empty parking lot with the Cup.  If Toronto won, I think an entire generation of NHL fans would get to see their first REAL Stanley Cup parade. 

:) 

Other than wishing Jumbo gets a cup before he retires, I wish nothing but bad things for the leafs lol.

If only because around halifax, there have been so many arrogant leaf fans over the past 2 decades(And the 2 decades before than in moncton) who always act like they won the cup every season and "this is the year". Constantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Other than wishing Jumbo gets a cup before he retires, I wish nothing but bad things for the leafs lol.

😥

If only because around halifax, there have been so many arrogant leaf fans over the past 2 decades(And the 2 decades before than in moncton) who always act like they won the cup every season and "this is the year". Constantly.

That's so weird. I live close to Toronto and the Leafs fans I know are best described as "hopeful" that the team could win but certainly not expecting anything. The days of expecting to win anything are long gone. This is not a franchise or fanbase with any kind of swagger. The bar is set so low that fans really don't expect anything from the team.  It's like watching the Special Olympics and just applauding when they don't fall off the bar and land on their head. I don't know of any Leafs fan who goes around acting like we won the Cup. It's usually just collossal disappointment and the intrigue of how they're going to F things up this time with the roster they have and the regular season performance they put in.  :) 

I'm yet to be convinced this year's team is as good as their numbers make them seem, what with most of the northern division being hot garbage. Until Toronto actually starts to actually make headway in the playoffs people won't take them seriously. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Are you sure it's Leafs fans and not Habs ones ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

End the drought? You haven't deserved it yet. Give us a season of good defense with your excellent offense and grit and entertainment in the playoffs. Then we'll see 😉

Okay perhaps I should be more specific: the fans deserve to see a Cup champion in Toronto (with all we've been through).  :) 

• Like 1

Since the Flyers aren't going to win the Cup this year, I would like to see a Canadian team win it all. Then everybody can stop psychoanalyzing the reasons why it hasn't happened for so long. The fans of those teams deserve it. So hard to believe it's been since 1993, that a team from The North hasn't won one. 

Edited by FD19372
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

LMAO! Good one. A franchise doesn't deserve a championship just because they've had terrible management for over 5 decades but their fans continue to fill the building. And most of those fans are Leaf fans....not hockey fans. Most turn off the playoffs as soon as the Leafs are out. Which is usually when they start. You're admittedly one of them.

Ehh, some of them do.  I used to watch all the way through but then I figured there's no incentive for the Leafs to improve if Rogers/Bell has my money anyway. There needed to be some form of financial "hurt" for poor Leafs performance otherwise there would be no reason for the owners to improve the team. So me not watching when the Leafs are out is my way of helping the Leafs improve as a team. :)

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers have lost 6 finals in a row. One to a juggernaut Oilers team they took to 7 games with a rookie goalie after their world class netminder was killed. One because a ref missed not one, but two offside goals...one the OT winner. One they lost without another world class goalie who was injured. One they lost with Michael f***ing Leighton as their goalie on a goal my daughter would have stopped. The Leafs haven't even been to the finals since colour TV.

6 final losses in a row? Owch.  :( 

17 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I can remember when the NY Rangers had their 50 year Cup drought and people wanted them to win in 1994. 

I can remember when Chicago ended their Cup drought. Once again, it felt like the entire hockey world was rooting for them.

So honestly and truly, if YOUR favourite team is out, would you be rooting for Toronto to win?

I know Toronto gets slapped with the label of "most hated" franchise in hockey... but why? People hate the Yankees because they win all the time. What's to hate about Toronto? There's probably more fans in Toronto watching Tampa hoist the Stanley Cup last year than there are in Tampa (for example). Toronto does soooooooooooo much for the NHL. A Stanley Cup for Toronto would almost be like a "thank you" for all the billions of dollars this franchise and its fans have pumped into this league. IMHO, no franchise in pro sports deserves a championship more than Toronto. 

You all saw the reception the Raptors got (biggest NBA parade in NBA history). I think Toronto could remind the NHL what a Stanley Cup parade really is... and why it doesn't simply involve walking around an empty parking lot with the Cup.  If Toronto won, I think an entire generation of NHL fans would get to see their first REAL Stanley Cup parade. 

Sorry bud. Can't say I want them to ever win.  I don't hate the Leafs. They're actually fairly irrelevant to me, to be honest.  

But I like to laugh at their fans.

I also laugh at funerals, car accidents, and people coming out of Cracker Barrel, so...

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry bud. Can't say I want them to ever win.  I don't hate the Leafs. They're actually fairly irrelevant to me, to be honest.  

But I like to laugh at their fans.

I also laugh at funerals, car accidents, and people coming out of Cracker Barrel, so...

The last time the leafs even made the Finals Lester B Pearson was prime minster of Canada

• Like 1

The last time the leafs even made the Finals Lester B Pearson was prime minster of Canada

Well admittedly, the Leafs would have made the Finals if Kerry Fraser hadn't blown the call on the high stick by Wayne Gretzky to Doug Gilmour in 1993. It should have been Leafs vs Habs that year for the Cup. Not saying Toronto would have won. (All evidence points to them being shut down by Roy just like the Kings were.) However, they should have been in the Final and would have been if not for that blown call. 

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well admittedly, the Leafs would have made the Finals if Kerry Fraser hadn't blown the call on the high stick by Wayne Gretzky to Doug Gilmour in 1993. It should have been Leafs vs Habs that year for the Cup. Not saying Toronto would have won. (All evidence points to them being shut down by Roy just like the Kings were.) However, they should have been in the Final and would have been if not for that blown call. 

It's a blown call, but one just have to marvel at Gretzky. Usually such a nice character, but when it's 12 seconds from losing the series and the possibility of getting into the Cup finals, stuff just happens... What a player he was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

It's a blown call, but one just have to marvel at Gretzky. Usually such a nice character, but when it's 12 seconds from losing the series and the possibility of getting into the Cup finals, stuff just happens... What a player he was.

Sometimes a loss is so deflating that you can't recover from it. Leafs never got over the game 6 loss.  Gretzky carried the Kings on his shoulders in game 7. 

It also seems to be an unwritten rule in hockey that to win a Stanley Cup you need to get past the game's greatest player at some point in your journey. You can never dodge the Wayne Gretzky's of the hockey world, which is why the first impediment to Toronto's Stanley Cup hopes this season is without a doubt Connor McDavid. The Leafs will have to get past him if they want to see another conference final. Yeah it's a team game, but McDavid is the modern day Gretzky, and he could potentially bury the Leafs by himself, just like Gretzky did in 93. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I love Cracker Barrel!  😍

If we ever meet, I'll still buy you a beer (only 100 ml; you'll have to prorate the rest).   But I'm afraid we can't be friends.   lol

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Sometimes a loss is so deflating that you can't recover from it. Leafs never got over the game 6 loss.  Gretzky carried the Kings on his shoulders in game 7. 

It also seems to be an unwritten rule in hockey that to win a Stanley Cup you need to get past the game's greatest player at some point in your journey. You can never dodge the Wayne Gretzky's of the hockey world, which is why the first impediment to Toronto's Stanley Cup hopes this season is without a doubt Connor McDavid. The Leafs will have to get past him if they want to see another conference final. Yeah it's a team game, but McDavid is the modern day Gretzky, and he could potentially bury the Leafs by himself, just like Gretzky did in 93. 

For the Wild, it's MacKinnon. That guy can sink us no problem.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

May the drought be as long as the one that caused the Great Dustbowl in the Midwest.

• Uggh... 1