2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : Montreal Canadiens vs Winnipeg Jets (MTL Wins 4-0)

Who Really Claims the Title of Canada's Team?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who Really Claims the Title of Canada's Team?

• Habs With the Upset Sweep Special in 4
    • Habs Ask No Quarter and Give None in 5
    • Habs Take a Tough Competitive Series in 6
    • Habs Break the Hearts of Jets Fans As Well in 7
    • Jets Just Too Fast for MTL in 4
    • Jets Take This Canada's Team Title Seriously, Win in 5
    • Jets Match Wits (and Hits) with MTL...Skate Away in 6
    • Jets Get Pushed, But Les Habitans Cinderella Turns Back Into a Pumpkin in 7

111937038_montrealwinnipeg.jpg.ce923f1f91737f0479935f2af9078ee1.jpg

With Montreal's upset of the "Cup Bound" Leafs complete, it is time for them to face the NEW Canada's team, the Winnipeg Jets :biggrin:

Series discussion of the Cinderella Habs and Flying High Jets go right here!
Can Montreal do it again or is Winnipeg going to take advantage of this situation and move onto the Final Four where the REAL separation of the men and the boys will take place?
We will soon find out!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

The thing about the Habs man, they can ****** skate.

They have minimal dumbasses and play like they know they're as fast or faster than their opponent.

They have some guys that have some size and some skill all through the line up and the top pair of Weber and Chariot sucks to play against.

They've got Carey Price who is still pretty great. This isn't a terrible team, lucking it's way through an easy draw, they're legit.

I wonder how they'll handle the Jets who are essentially the same  kind of team. 

The series will be great to look at the Habs unis are classic and the road whites for the Jets are pretty sweet too.

I like Winterpeg in 6 hard fought games. 

• Like 2

The Oilers demonstrated that you can't win a playoff series with only two players. However, the Habs proved you can actually win a playoff series with only one player.

But whoever it is, the north division winner will be destroyed in the next round. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The thing about the Habs man, they can ****** skate.

This is true of the forwards not so much the D, most of which are big and some that are not that mobile. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Math said:

The Oilers demonstrated that you can't win a playoff series with only two players. However, the Habs proved you can actually win a playoff series with only one player.

But whoever it is, the north division winner will be destroyed in the next round. 

Yes, when that one player is your goalie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Math said:

Probably, by Colorado team.🤔

12 hours ago, Math said:

Could be. With the re-seeding, the winner of MTL-WPG will face the winner of COL-VGK.

That is according to the bracket for 2021. I am thinking so far that Colorado will meet Tampa in finals this season. Both teams offensively minded and loaded with world class talents. Of course, duel between Grubauer and Vasilevskyi (so far the most consistent goalies) is included too.

Interesting how the Canadian team will play this season against American team because of their Covid restrictions?  Last season we had no fans at arenas and entire playoffs were in Canada. This season is different - we have fans at arenas (currently 10,000.00-12,000.00) and they still do not. It seems mental support is different and results could be different too.

After 2 periods Price(stopped 22 out of 23 shots) is better so far than Hellebuyck (stopped 18 out of 21 shots) at game #1. Our former Wild player (a Triple Gold Club Member) Eric Staal was able to place tonight  his 1st playoffs goal this season. In his previous 6 playoffs games for Canadiens  team is having 4 assists already.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : Montreal Canadiens vs Winnipeg Jets (MTL Leads 1-0)
2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The Habs surprise me again. The playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. I hope Evans is ok. Hard hit. Maybe even a suspension for Scheifele.

I hope not on the suspension. The result of the hit was unfortunate, but he ran through Evans' Habs' logo on his chest. Yes, the head was hit first, but only because it happened to be in the way. That's a legal check. I agree that I hope Evans is OK, but that was not targeting the head. I don't want to see the game neutered.

Some hockey hits have bad results. This is one of them.

• Like 2

Nothing felt good about that play.. but props to Ehlers for caring more about Jake Evans health than participating in in the scrum. 
In my opinion Scheifele had no intention of trying to prevent a goal. Had he, he would of led with his stick instead of pulling it back and delivering one scary hit. I believe he will get 2-3 games but who knows with this league. Main thing is I hope Evan’s will be alright. He was out on contact 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 2

There is one word that most accurately describes Sheifele's behavior there and it is: predatory.

FWIW I felt the same about Scott Stevens' hit on Lindros in the 2000 playoffs. That was a a clean hit by the standards of the game 20 years ago. The standards have changed. 

• Like 2

A legal hit, but with the overall speed of the game now and the speed in the particular situation, and Evans's difficult position a disrespectful hit, IMO. Scheifele got carried away by his competetiveness there and needs to pay for that in some way or the other. I would give one game max, or let him have to face the Habs' way of getting back at him. He should have to face some kind of payback for the hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

My first reaction also was: good hit. But it's no longer the case. That ship has sailed.

It's almost certainly charging. And if it is charging, it's a penalty, which means it is an infraction that resulted in an injury. That's always been an issue in hockey.

But more importantly, the charging is irrelevant. Because at some point in his path, even near the end of his path (which, let's be honest was probably 100 feet or more) Sheifele has occasion to see his target. And he's certainly not looking at the puck as he makes no effort whatsoever to get his stick on the puck to try to prevent the goal. So he knows that Evans is vulnerable (head down not paying any attention at all to the possibility of being hit - which is also a problem, because he should) and he chooses to still blast him. The league - and society - has said that that is no longer acceptable. End of story.

I respectfully disagree.  If charging is call (and it was), how can future players in a puck race defend against a player trying to score on a wraparound?

Watch it in real speed and throw out the freeze frames and slo-mo's.  If Scheifele is there 3/10's of a second earlier, he prevents the goal.  He's travelling at about 30 km/hr in a straight line to stop the goal (either by playing the body or the puck) and realizes with less than half a second before impact that he's too late.  The only thing he can do at this point is brace for impact.

I don't blame Evans for trying to score and I don't blame Scheifele (who I do not like) for trying to stop him.  The skating paths these two players had to take before impact were a recipe for disaster, but they were each trying to make a hockey play.

• Like 4

Not to mention that protective gear today are true weapons, you can really use part of your body as a weapon without any fear to be hurt. Without their jerseys players look like Robocops.

The same hit in 1992, Scheifele would probably have his shoulder dislocated and his elbow broken.

• Good Post 1