Ristolainen to Flyers

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Do you think Sanheim and Risto could be a pair? Condering both have a lot to clean up in their own end.

Certainly wouldn't expect him to be paired with Braun.

Guess we'll see what they have envisioned.

If he were still on the team, I'd have said that Ghost would have been the natural guy to put him with: not bad at defending zone entries, and good at zone exits as well. Looking at the blueline now, I guess Philippe Myers wouldn't be bad to try him with: he defends the blueline well, but needs help getting the puck out with control.

9 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I guess Philippe Myers wouldn't be bad to try him with: he defends the blueline well, but needs help getting the puck out with control.

Yeah but Myers is in Nashville and that ship has sailed.

I guess it will have to be Sanheim.

And who knows maybe York supplants Travis guess we'll see.

I did see in Chuckles press conference he said they were going to bring Morin back for some added depth.

A good plan so at least York and Zamula can spend sometime in the AHL before getting recalled.

The situation feels very fluid at the moment.

And free agency hasn't even started.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I guess Philippe Myers wouldn't be bad to try him with: he defends the blueline well, but needs help getting the puck out with control.

Except that Myers was traded with Patrick, to Nashville, for Ryan Ellis.

@JR Ewing

Myers was moved for Ellis.

The nook for Risto is 2nd pair which is Sanhiem.

Maybe Sanhiem and Ellis have great chemistry and Risto plays with Provorov? 

I do think Risto will benefit from not defending against 1st lines all night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@JR Ewing

Myers was moved for Ellis.

The nook for Risto is 2nd pair which is Sanhiem.

Maybe Sanhiem and Ellis have great chemistry and Risto plays with Provorov? 

The thinking is to get him away from playing 23-25 minutes a night and putting him on the second pair where he can focus on 19-20 minutes a night.

I'm good with that.

#babysteps

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Maybe, but Risto had better improve on his 52nd percentile, in zone entries and defensive breakups..or the Flyers will have a problem...again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In Buffalo there wasn't a guy to learn from, he was it.

His best years when he was paired with McCabe he had back to back 40 point seasons but then they broke them up and he has had a few partner and well I lost track.

But yes the coaching staff I hope can get him to play smarter and quicker to get the puck out of the danger zones. Something Myers just couldn't do and well why he isn't here anymore.

A lot is riding on Risto.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But yes the coaching staff I hope can get him to play smarter and quicker to get the puck out of the danger zones. Something Myers just couldn't do and well why he isn't here anymore.

That's the problem with off-the-glass-and-out defensemen: a lot of the time, the puck is RIGHT back in the defensive zone.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

A lot is riding on Risto.

Yeah. Given the cost, they can't really afford for this to not work out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

That's the problem with off-the-glass-and-out defensemen: a lot of the time, the puck is RIGHT back in the defensive zone.

Yep that is what plagues Sanheim.

When he is calm and maintains his composure he makes the simple smart play.

Bit other teams know you can pressure him and he or Myers would cough it up.

So if Risto can provide some calming affect maybe this goes away.

I mean Risto would be the vet of that pair confidence will go along ways.

And chemistry helps too.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah. Given the cost, they can't really afford for this to not work out.

Yes this trade along could be Chuckles death knell.

No pressure...

:w00t:

• Like 1

Cautiously holding my breath ....

maybe ...just maybe , as other mentioned, Risto learns from Ellis and all will work....

I'm still peeved about the cost .... BUT I will give Risto and the Flyers ~20 games to see what Risto brings to the ice ...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

maybe ...just maybe , as other mentioned, Risto learns from Ellis and all will work....

I'm still peeved about the cost .... BUT I will give Risto and the Flyers ~20 games to see what Risto brings to the ice ...

There is a chance his game improves. But Fletcher shouldn't be paying top dollar on hoping he plays better.  Not to mention he's 26, not 22-23. He should be nearing his peak. And it's not like he's walking into a rock solid team defensive system. I think we'll just be seeing more of "WoW!, what a hit by Risto!....aaaaaannd Hagg scores on the odd man rush as the Flyers new acquisition left his man wide open to go for the hit"!

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

https://theathletic.com/2729242/2021/07/25/lebrun-hurricanes-negotiations-with-dougie-hamilton-kraken-prepared-for-big-free-agency-flyers-shake-up-roster?source=user-shared-article

The cost for Savard at the deadline was a first and a third for a couple of months.

Other teams did drive the price  up so there was overpayment. But this isn't some kind complete ripoff. Ristolainen is a 5 tool (baseball term) player who was fending for himself the entirety of his career. 

Everyone getting so bent out of shape about this was startling.  

I fear this topic may cause @flyercanuck to stroke out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Ristolainen is a 5 tool (baseball term) player who was fending for himself the entirety of his career. 

Exactly let's get him here in the orange and black and see how he looks.

There is plenty of time to bitch about this but let's see him skate before claiming to be the bum many claim he is.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, Mad Dog said:

Just unfathomable, really.  To give up so much for an OK defenseman.  Why??? What was he really thinking??  This is just so frustrating.

It's a LOT easier to swallow if ya think of it as the Flyers spent that #1 draft pick this year on getting rid of Voracek 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I fear this topic may cause @flyercanuck to stroke out. 

It's great that the same guys who thought signing Bryz was a great idea, said "Let's just wait and see what Fletcher does" when others warned he overpays guys to lengthy contracts and would trade away youth and assets for older players, and here he's done exactly that and guys are saying "Let's just wait and see how this plays out". 

Let me ask you this...does adding Ristolainen and Ellis and Atkinson make a team was was in shambles last year a cup contender? Cause those guys either are older and have term (to go along with Hayes, who isn't getting better) or you just know are going to (Risto) to save face from throwing all those draft picks away (1st, 2-2nds, 3rd) so we likely aren't getting a lot of help through the draft. And behold his wizardry of trades. So no, I'm not happy one bit with what Homers clone has done...exactly as I said he would when his idiot president hired him.

I'm just going to spend way less time watching or caring about a team that can't get their heads out of their arses. I could get behind a total rebuild, no problem whatsoever. I have patience for doing that. Or I could get behind a "Ok, it's time to go for it", when we actually were ready to do that. I just don't for this tried and true method of infinite mediocrity. Fletcher is all in and going for it...with a mediocre team. I know this Lumina doesn't run worth a crap...but let's just keep driving it and hope it turns into a Ferrari. 

I'm not holding my breath for the 88 Lumina of NHL general managers.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

There is plenty of time to bitch about this but let's see him skate before claiming to be the bum many claim he is.

But, but that’s not the Philly fan way :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's great that the same guys who thought signing Bryz was a great idea, said "Let's just wait and see what Fletcher does" when others warned he overpays guys to lengthy contracts and would trade away youth and assets for older players, and here he's done exactly that and guys are saying "Let's just wait and see how this plays out". 

Let me ask you this...does adding Ristolainen and Ellis and Atkinson make a team was was in shambles last year a cup contender? Cause those guys either are older and have term (to go along with Hayes, who isn't getting better) or you just know are going to (Risto) to save face from throwing all those draft picks away (1st, 2-2nds, 3rd) so we likely aren't getting a lot of help through the draft. And behold his wizardry of trades. So no, I'm not happy one bit with what Homers clone has done...exactly as I said he would when his idiot president hired him.

I'm just going to spend way less time watching or caring about a team that can't get their heads out of their arses. I could get behind a total rebuild, no problem whatsoever. I have patience for doing that. Or I could get behind a "Ok, it's time to go for it", when we actually were ready to do that. I just don't for this tried and true method of infinite mediocrity. Fletcher is all in and going for it...with a mediocre team. I know this Lumina doesn't run worth a crap...but let's just keep driving it and hope it turns into a Ferrari. 

I'm not holding my breath for the 88 Lumina of NHL general managers.

I get your point ...I really do.  But what else can we do?  What is done is done .....

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 2:35 PM, Digityman said:

It is a lot but if they can sign him for a decent contract the defense is set for a while.   

On 7/23/2021 at 2:41 PM, SCFlyguy said:

Did this post fall through a portal from 2014 in re: Andrew MacDonald?

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, Digityman said:

I think it was an over payment personally but there are three head coaches that I still think know more than me.  I'm willing to see this one play out.  I know I'm heavily in the minority. 

I LIKE the player and I'm perfectly willing to see how it plays out.

I still think the individual trade is too much and coupled with the Ghost divestiture is egregious.

Happy to walk the block to Broad Street to see the Cup when I'm wrong.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly let's get him here in the orange and black and see how he looks.

You post as if people haven't seen him play...

I've seen him play. Live and on teevee. I LIKE the player and can see why some proverbial "hockey people" do.

A 1st 2 2nds a 3rd two roster players and a 7th is just a lot.

Even a 1st, 2nd, and Hagg is a lot.

I don't think I'll be trading my #17 in...

Yet...

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

You post as if people haven't seen him play...

I've seen him play. Live and on teevee. I LIKE the player and can see why some proverbial "hockey people" do.

A 1st 2 2nds a 3rd two roster players and a 7th is just a lot.

Even a 1st, 2nd, and Hagg is a lot.

I don't think I'll be trading my #17 in...

Yet...

Sure on a team since he was drafted I imagine he has some pretty bad PTSD they have to cure him of first...

:hithead:

• Like 2