Has Fletcher done enough to improve this team to make it a contender?

Fizz

i dont think they are contenders, depending on how courturier, giroux, and jvr play and hopefully hart returns to form, if not, then i suspect that courturier, giroux, jvr are going to be gone and hart will probably be replaced, fletch isnt going anywhere, i know fans dont want to hear that but you cant fix a team in one offseason, especially when you still have some of the same players from last year that didnt play well giroux, jvr, courturier, tk, hart and you dont know if they are going to step up or not.

i think this is a make or break year for these guys or they will be shipped out. unless there's a cant miss coach out there like sullivian, i dont think av is going anywhere.

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i dont think they are contenders, depending on how courturier, giroux, and jvr play and hopefully hart returns to form, if not, then i suspect that courturier, giroux, jvr are going to be gone and hart will probably be replaced, fletch isnt going anywhere, i know fans dont want to hear that but you cant fix a team in one offseason, especially when you still have some of the same players from last year that didnt play well giroux, jvr, courturier, tk, hart and you dont know if they are going to step up or not.

i think this is a make or break year for these guys or they will be shipped out. unless there's a cant miss coach out there like sullivian, i dont think av is going anywhere.

Why would Hart be replaced?

If Gerald Mayhew will make the Flyers team then I will be the Flyers fan too. He was one of the best AHL players when played for the Iowa Wild team and presented a huge interest for me. And now he was moved to Pennsylvania. If I am not wrong, he was signed by Fletcher when Fletcher was our Wild GM. 

34 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Especially if Zayde Wisdom makes the team. 

There's not a ton of space for players next season but there are a lot of RFA in 22-23.

As with most young players, I'd rather see them getting significant playing time in important roles than be a 4th liner/13th forward in the NHL.

Always if a player absolutely blows the doors off then you make that move. I have a feeling Wisdom and Old Foerster are going back to Juniors for a year (assuming that's an option).

3 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

If Gerald Mayhew will make the Flyers team then I will be the Flyers fan too. He was one of the best AHL players when played for the Iowa Wild team and presented a huge interest for me.

It looks like an AHL signing and a depth call-up option but I'm not familiar with the player.

Doesn't look like he did much with a few cups of coffee in Minnesota - any insight to share?

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

There's not a ton of space for players next season but there are a lot of RFA in 22-23.

As with most young players, I'd rather see them getting significant playing time in important roles than be a 4th liner/13th forward in the NHL.

So what are the rules going forward for 19 year olds who played in the AHL last season because of Covid? Like, does he have to go back to Jr?

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

It looks like an AHL signing and a depth call-up option but I'm not familiar with the player.

Doesn't look like he did much with a few cups of coffee in Minnesota - any insight to share?

Yes, unfortunately, he had just 2 small tryouts in Minnesota which was definitely not enough. But even then he presented the interest for me to his smart play and his character to fight for each puck as offensively minded forward. By playing in the 4th line he had 2 goals; 1 assist; +/- +4 during that period (total 17  NHL games). In 2019-2020 year in AHL he had 39 goals;22 assists; +/- +16 during 49 games in Iowa and was the best player of that season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So what are the rules going forward for 19 year olds who played in the AHL last season because of Covid? Like, does he have to go back to Jr?

Yes those guys will be playing back in junior for the next season. They have both signed their entry level contracts but they won't start till they join the Phantoms more likely I say next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

My understanding is it's dependent upon how many games in the A the 18  year old played, over 20 I think can remain with the AHL club, under 20 back to the CHL. I think both Widsom and Old Forrester™ @radoran  (all rights reserved) meet that threshold.

• Like 2

I think Fletcher's best moves were bringing in some new scouts and player development guys.  It'll take years to prove their effectiveness but they've got to be better than the Bozos who were supposed to be judging young talent previously.  Now if only Dave Brown were replaced...

Flyers announce additions & promotions to hockey operations staff (nhl.com)

8 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I think Fletcher's best moves were bringing in some new scouts and player development guys.  It'll take years to prove their effectiveness but they've got to be better than the Bozos who were supposed to be judging young talent previously.  Now if only Dave Brown were replaced...

Flyers announce additions & promotions to hockey operations staff (nhl.com)

One of them was Director of Pro Scouting for the Leafs at one point, which cannot be good. A bunch of the others have connections to the Kings. Not sure about that either.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, mojo1917 said:

My understanding is it's dependent upon how many games in the A the 18  year old played, over 20 I think can remain with the AHL club, under 20 back to the CHL. I think both Widsom and Old Forrester™ @radoran  (all rights reserved) meet that threshold.

The age limit rule is not in affect for the upcoming season so Foerster and Wisdom can both play in the AHL this season and their contracts would slide again like that year.

So the Flyers might want to do this again it is up to them. It seemed to not bother them last year.

So maybe they run it back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

If their contract slides they aren't getting paid to play in the AHL?

Now that part I am not sure but yes I think they may get paid....but maybe at a lesser rate, but with the contract sliding there has to be a different pay scale for that.

Just like when Hagg's contract slid there must have been some pay scale they use for giving them some $$$.

However I can't answer that for sure.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Why would they need to get paid?   Wasn't the opportunity to be developed by Scott Gordon payment in itself?

Well Gordon was canned so the chance of getting coached by Lappy doesn't pay anything...maybe food stamps.

When the contract slides, the player doesn't get paid, at all.  This is to address the situation where a player gets drafted at 18 but goes back to juniors.  Contract doesn't start until they play in the AHL.

Last year was a special circumstance in that the AHL operated as a replacement for juniors.  They still didn't get paid, I don't believe.

15 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

When the contract slides, the player doesn't get paid, at all.  This is to address the situation where a player gets drafted at 18 but goes back to juniors.  Contract doesn't start until they play in the AHL.

Last year was a special circumstance in that the AHL operated as a replacement for juniors.  They still didn't get paid, I don't believe.

They get a weekly stipend i think around $50-$100. And their equipment is paid for as well as their travel as far as i can find and help with a billet.

So with their contract being slide eligible they get to play vs better competition and the hockey club doesn't have to pay them and their entry level contracts will be pushed back a year before counting.

That rule is in effect for the upcoming season again...so maybe the Flyers let them stay in the AHL i think that call will come after camp/preseason to determine were they are in their development curve.

We'll know soon.

So i guess we'll see how Sanheim's new contract works out.

His hearing date is August 26th so still a few weeks away......could they work something out before then??

Not sure they seem to be a bit far apart.