Has Fletcher done enough to improve this team to make it a contender?

Fizz

As I see it he has not really improved this team, yeah the defense will be improved I think.

But the lack of offence in my opinion has not improved and not the cupboard is bare in the draft pick shelf.

IMO Fletcher is a complete joke as a GM.........this team will miss the playoffs yet again, sigh. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fizz said:

As I see it he has not really improved this team, yeah the defense will be improved I think.

But the lack of offence in my opinion has not improved and not the cupboard is bare in the draft pick shelf.

IMO Fletcher is a complete joke as a GM.........this team will miss the playoffs yet again, sigh. 

Glad to see you back ......

IMHO ...... "IF" the players who had a wretched season last year improve AND "IF" all the planets aligned ...this is a borderline PO team at best.  Depending on the matchup the "might" make it out of the 1st round.

IF by contender you mean Conference Finals or SCF contender ....HELL NO.

Hart and the defense "should" be better .......  is it enough only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

A lot of our potential improvement is tied to turnaround of the team, particularly in goal.  Regarding the latter, I agree with some pundits that the Martin Jones signing is quite risky.  What if Hart has issues and Jones isn't returning to earlier form.  Lyon is gone and we have no designated successor.  

I see this as a marginal playoff team at best,  We may have improved.  But so did everyone else in the division.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 4

From an outsider's viewpoint, I am not convinced this team is a playoff team even with the changes.
What Fletcher DID seem to to do, at least on paper, is make the team tougher to play against.

The three new defenseman in Ellis (good all round game), Ristolainen (big hitter with a ton of 'swag'), and even Yandle (experience with a still-viable on ice skillset) should help Philly cover the one big area they were very weak in last season: coverage and being tough on attacking forwards.
And that by itself should make Carter Hart's and Martin Jones' jobs in the crease much easier.

But it still won't be perfect, as teams may isolate Yandle and his declining speed, or pick on Risto's ultra aggressiveness to get by him on a rush, and guys like Sanheim, Braun, and Morin will still have to do their jobs as well as Provorov continuing to take his next steps to being the true top pair defenseman everyone seems to think he can be.

Up front, Aube-Kubel and, like him or not, Nate Thompson are going to need to bring physicality on a regular basis, and Konecny will need to be that two way scoring and PITA agitation threat he can be.

Farabee, Frost, Lindblom....their time is NOW. No more coddling...they need to get things done on the ice on the regular if the team is to have a chance, while moving out Voracek for Atkinson may work out......IF Atkinson can stay more offensive minded more than he disappears (he can be quite streaky and maddening at times), while Giroux and Hayes attempt to remind everyone why they are being paid so much.

Looking at the division in general, you have the Islanders who should come back every bit as strong a team as they finished last season, the Caps and Pens can't be counted out as they always seem to find ways to stay in contention and they still have bonafide star players on their rosters.
The Rangers should see massive improvements with not only additions they made, but more experience to their really good young core.

So that right there are four teams with legit claims to taking one of the four division playoff spots....and that doesn't even include the Hurricanes who SHOULD be good, but the jury may still be out due to some of the puzzling moves they have made, but yea, they too can be right in the mix.

The Flyers have some stiff competition for the playoffs here.
So "Did Chuck Fletcher Do Enough?" will remain to be seen, but right now, on paper, I would say, and despite what looks like an improvement on attitude, I would say "NO", the Flyers aren't a playoff team.

But of course, games aren't played on paper, and Philly will get their chance to prove they do have enough to at least make the playoffs, even if any sort of serious runs once there are still further down the road.

We will be tougher and better defensively, and with special teams,   but the key is our young guys like Farabee, Lindblom and Konecny all have to become our top scorers. Our best offensive producers JVR, Coots and Giroux are also our oldest and are starting to diminish, so unless these young guys really up their games it will be hard to win. The other thing we need is some rookies like Allison  and Foerester  to put up impressive rookie numbers and help in the scoring. We used to have impact rookies like Propp and Renberg ,etc who came in and contributed a lot of offense right off the bat. Now it seems to take forever for young guys to contribute and they are very inconsistent. We still lack size on the wing and speed. So we will be better but are not contenders.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Honestly, I think Fletch has done what he could with the cards he was dealt. I find it refreshing that he did something at least. During the Hextall era, all we ever got were crickets regardless of how bubbly the team was year in and out. The moves he made really feel like a sh!t or get off the pot situation. Whether he was told he needs to get results this year or he's gone, I don't know, but it feels like he's making moves with a strong sense of urgency.

Is it enough to make this team a contender? I have to say I doubt it. The defense should be better certainly, and that'll help the goalies too, but we still lack true top end talent on this team, and it's very hard to win nowadays without that. I'm expecting this team to be a bubble team again. They may make the playoffs, but I'm not convinced they can do much more than win a round, and that's really dependent on the opponent even then.

I'm not blaming Fletch though. He's trying. I'm sure he would have preferred getting a Hamilton over a Risto, but that wasn't going to happen. I'm sure he would have rather gotten a younger defensive stalwart than Yandle, but it probably wasn't an option. I'm sure he would have loved nabbing an Eichel or something, but that was clearly also a pipe dream. Still, he did try to make some moves. I respect him for not just accepting the status quo and actually trying to do something.

I do hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing they'll end up in the middle of the pack somewhere, maybe get a good run in the second half of the season, but then peter out once they reach playoff hockey. Put another way, I expect more of the same as we've had the last decade, as I really don't think the moves made are fundamental and impactful enough to change the team's fate.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 4

Yes, Fletchers done enough. 

To make us a contender? LMAO! A contender for the cup? Hell no. For the playoffs, sure. Then again the team already would be if they didn't ALL play like complete sh!te last season.

Please replace him with a talking pig. Or get him to trade for Eichel so he can have him fired.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Then again the team already would be if they didn't ALL play like complete sh!te last season.

So "definitely a playoff team" then?

From where I sit "definitely" playoff teams, you know, MAKE THE PLAYOFFS year to year. Not every other year.

This team isn't a playoff team until they MAKE THE PLAYOFFS and they should start the season thinking that way.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

So "definitely a playoff team" then?

From where I sit "definitely" playoff teams, you know, MAKE THE PLAYOFFS year to year. Not every other year.

This team isn't a playoff team until they MAKE THE PLAYOFFS and they should start the season thinking that way.

Lol...they were already a borderline playoff team I guess is a better way of putting it. They are still in that category. 

• Like 2

Every years doesn't matter who says what about who. Who is the best? Who is the worst?

You have to go out and earn your place every year....nothing has ever been won on paper.

Clean slate.

Now show us what you got.

:beer:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

As I have said numerous times before ....

It is "Show Up or Shut Up" time ........

Oh i think they'll show up like last they were playing very well then these starting losing guys injuries and covid and well they packed it in no one stepped up.

So my biggest concerned is can they maintain...can they finish strong too.

And not be outside looking in??

Adversity is what builds character....and i'm not sure they can over come adversity.

But they have a chance to prove me wrong. This is the blame the coach year is it??

:PopcornSmiley2:

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Adversity is what builds character....and i'm not sure they can over come adversity.

I think last year could be the adversity overcome for a lot of guys.

As we all seem to be saying, now they just need to do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh i think they'll show up like last they were playing very well then these starting losing guys injuries and covid and well they packed it in no one stepped up.

So my biggest concerned is can they maintain...can they finish strong too.

And not be outside looking in??

But they have a chance to prove me wrong. This is the blame the coach year is it??

:PopcornSmiley2:

Then this team should have character coming out the wazoo!!

Here is my prediction......Flyers miss the playoffs yet again, some improvement in their own end but not enough offence to carry the team to the playoffs let alone be a division contender.

Problem is no leadership from the HC on down. Giroux is not and never has been a leader Couturier might be, but if never given the chance we will never know.

I still contend management and coaching is a major factor in the poor play of this team. (not a popular opinion on here but my opinion non the less) I just call  'em like I see 'em.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

Then this team should have character coming out the wazoo!!

Here is my prediction......Flyers miss the playoffs yet again, some improvement in their own end but not enough offence to carry the team to the playoffs let alone be a division contender.

Problem is no leadership from the HC on down. Giroux is not and never has been a leader Couturier might be, but if never given the chance we will never know.

I still contend management and coaching is a major factor in the poor play of this team. (not a popular opinion on here but my opinion non the less) I just call  'em like I see 'em.

you are not wrong here….. your observation regarding G is spot on IMO.

Again I’m hoping for some improvement but I’m holding my breath…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

you are not wrong here….. your observation regarding G is spot on IMO.

Again I’m hoping for some improvement but I’m holding my breath…

Giroux as C was a mistake from the moment it happened.

It got worse because the organization* never did anything to help him.

G is not THE problem.

The organization* is - much like it was in Chicago for a Very Long Time.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, Fizz said:

If any part of the team is "improved", then the team will be "improved"

Taken as a whole, the team will be better

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Taken as a whole, the team will be better

If not, jobs will be lost.  

This particular post isn't advocating for an outcome either way; just surmising that if there is no improvement or a step even further the wrong way, either coaching staff or GM or both has a big problem.

Yes, it's further up than that, but I don't think anything happens there.

• Like 2

No. The upper management is written in stone. I guess I get it if you axed Fletcher, but AV has a pedigree of success and winning. I doubt he forgot how to coach

I doubt I'm alone in thinking they still need one or two roster changes. I think it will work. As long as they are improved, and moving toward getting better, I will ok

This will be an interesting season.

I do think the team can be better, I definitely think they will be harder to play against.

For me, it comes down to Carter Hart reverting to the mean.

If that happens this team could be really good.

A full camp, time for practice, the ability to make adjustments so teams cannot exploit a weakness and thus prevent 6 point swings in the standings. 

A lot of guys that were on the ascent stepped back last seaso., Which season/s are indicative of the players, the miserable one or the previous?

Keeping the roster static and expecting different results has been tried.

I'm glad the team is trying something else.

• Like 2