Frost, Foerster, Ratcliffe, others Assigned to Phantoms

radoran

Four Hours Ago: https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/10/6/22711851/nhl-philadelphia-flyers-preseason-analysis-why-its-way-too-early-to-be-worried-about-morgan-frost

20 minutes ago:

Sandin, Frost, Old Foerster, Ratcliffe, Hogberg assigned to AHL

O'Reilly released from PTO, will report to Phantoms

Clendening, Mayhew, Rubustov, Echo & The Bunnaman waived, assigned to Phantoms.

Edited by radoran

13 minutes ago, LAFlyer said:

Phantoms have 4 more preseason games, its just probably trying to get Frost more playing time. 

Well it's obvious he needs it

The Flyers need to start the season strong and if Frost isn't going to be the answer at 2C in the short to medium term they need another answer.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well it's obvious he needs it

The Flyers need to start the season strong and if Frost isn't going to be the answer at 2C in the short to medium term they need another answer.

would eric staal be a good fit? both av and fletch connections.

Flyers twitter is losing its mind over Frost being sent to LHV...It's all our scouts suck, we have zero centermen, I wish we still had Brayden Schenn...it's kind of funny. 

Everyone is ready to throw in the towel because a young guy that hasn't played hockey in almost 2 years because of injury and COVID needs to work on his game.

Now mind you when he last played regularly, he did make his league's all-star game. A league widely considered to be the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world.

I hope the kid gets some quality playing time and can force his way back onto the roster. He needs to play like "the man" not just "a man". I wasn't getting that vibe from him, no one else was either. So he's going to play himself back into game shape and we'll see what happens from there.

He's 22, his name isn't Nolan Patrick, he's not a bust, not yet anyway.

It's super nice to have a couple of options (players) that will allow for Frost to develop in a way that boosts his confidence rather than destroys it. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

we have zero centermen

LMAO - their official training camp roster listed something like 12 centers...

I'd need to look it up but I'm on my phone.

Also, too, why I studiously ignore Flyers Twitter.

That said, Gazoo said hi the other day 😃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Flyers twitter is losing its mind over Frost being sent to LHV...It's all our scouts suck, we have zero centermen, I wish we still had Brayden Schenn...it's kind of funny. 

Everyone is ready to throw in the towel because a young guy that hasn't played hockey in almost 2 years because of injury and COVID needs to work on his game.

Now mind you when he last played regularly, he did make his league's all-star game. A league widely considered to be the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world.

I hope the kid gets some quality playing time and can force his way back onto the roster. He needs to play like "the man" not just "a man". I wasn't getting that vibe from him, no one else was either. So he's going to play himself back into game shape and we'll see what happens from there.

He's 22, his name isn't Nolan Patrick, he's not a bust, not yet anyway.

It's super nice to have a couple of options (players) that will allow for Frost to develop in a way that boosts his confidence rather than destroys it. 

Farabee alone is a better player than Schenn.  And 9 years younger. He came in that deal as well. 

• Like 4

Well the good news is that Frost was loaned to the Phantoms which have 4 more preseason games before the Flyers play the Canucks so maybe there is a chance he can still go out West with them.

But honestly it wouldn't hurt Frost to go and play for awhile on the Phantoms top line and get his play making ability back.

He hasn't played in a long time and can use the big minutes in the AHL.

So I am not giving up on the kid.

I do not see the same entitlement from him as I seen from Nolan Patrick so that is comforting a little.

Development isn't linear...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the good news is that Frost was loaned to the Phantoms which have 4 more preseason games before the Flyers play the Canucks so maybe there is a chance he can still go out West with them.

But honestly it wouldn't hurt Frost to go and play for awhile on the Phantoms top line and get his play making ability back.

He hasn't played in a long time and can use the big minutes in the AHL.

So I am not giving up on the kid.

I do not see the same entitlement from him as I seen from Nolan Patrick so that is comforting a little.

Development isn't linear...

I wouldn't mind a line of Frost , Foerester and Ratcliffe.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

If that is what the front office wants it looks like a very good line.

And without Allison or Laczynski well the horses are a little weaker in the AHL.

I guess we could still hold out hope that Rubtsov turns into something of value this coming season.

But time might be running out like it did with Vorobyev, Laberge, Leier and Bernhardt and a few others.

That is why you need as many pokers in the fire as you can afford because some just don't pan out.

:beer:

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

If that is what the front office wants it looks like a very good AHL line.

The three have a shot at being good-to-better-than-good NHL players, but I don't think any of them are there yet.

Frost needs some time to get back to playing center and more confident in being on the ice. He was clearly pressing in preseason, moreso once he "had" to fill in for Hayes.

Ratcliffe is a work in progress - 23 points in 77 AHL games isn't screaming "promote me!" Foerster, by comparison, has 17 points in 24 games and Frost 29 in 41.

Old Foerster is 19, no need to rush. If he's not going to get top line minutes in Allentown, I wouldn't mind him back in Barrie to dominate the O and make @flyercanuckhappy. Probably the most ready guy of the three, but there's not a role for his skillset on the big club and I'd rather he continue to develop his pro offensive game in the A before being slotted into a mid/bottom six in Philly.

• Good Post 1

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

The three have a shot at being good-to-better-than-good NHL players, but I don't think any of them are there yet.

Frost needs some time to get back to playing center and more confident in being on the ice. He was clearly pressing in preseason, moreso once he "had" to fill in for Hayes.

Ratcliffe is a work in progress - 23 points in 77 AHL games isn't screaming "promote me!" Foerster, by comparison, has 17 points in 24 games and Frost 29 in 41.

Old Foerster is 19, no need to rush. If he's not going to get top line minutes in Allentown, I wouldn't mind him back in Barrie to dominate the O and make @flyercanuckhappy. Probably the most ready guy of the three, but there's not a role for his skillset on the big club and I'd rather he continue to develop his pro offensive game in the A before being slotted into a mid/bottom six in Philly.

The collapsed lung and COVID shutdowns setback Ratcliffe 2 years, hopefully he can have a good year . Having a good playmaker like Frost setting up Ratcliffe can be a confidence booster for him and having a big guy on the line can give Frost  some room to operate. I agree there  is no space on the roster  now for Foerester, especially on right wing with Atkinson and TK and Allison sooner than later …that’s why I hope we don’t re-sign Giroux, Foerester would be perfect on the off wing PP blasting in one timers like Mike Bossy. Instead of wasting 5 or 6 million minimum on G , I’d rather dump him at the deadline and pencil in Foerester on first or second line left wing for next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

If Foerster was sent back that would give Barrie eight NHL drafted players. That's a heck of a lot for a junior team.

It would be a nice change for us Colts fans. So many times when we have great players they make the NHL at 18 or 19 while we watch other teams keep their stars til they're 20 and win championships. Obviously as a Flyer pick I want what's best for him, but going back to Barrie and playing with the skill they have their isn't going to hinder his development.

• Like 3

I mean if you think about it having a line play together for 50+ games before all of them being promoted wouldn't be such a bad thing.  

Frost , Foerester and Ratcliffe playing together in the AHL to prepare for the NHL is actual, legitimate planning.   I don't really understand why that's not done more honestly.   I get that you don't know if all 3 will be ready at the same time, but developing chemistry with players that they might play with down the road can't be bad in any sense.    I could care less if it's not what's best for the phantoms.

• Good Post 1

Here's the thing - Frost didn't play poorly. He was focused on his defense assignments and was superb. He was in on the forecheck, he was physical and he was using his speed. It wasn't like he was terrible offensively either. He was making plays and he had shots on net. He was snake bitten. 

The issue I have is that Vigneault runs a stank ass offensive system that is stretch pass and dump and chase.  There no emphasis on pick possession and carrying the puck,  two of Frost's greatest abilities. So I think the Frost demotion needs to be looked at critically under a lense. Now I'll admit that Frost only playing in something like 4 hockey games in 500 games certainly doesn't help. At the same time, there are four useless scrubs in Thompson,  Wilson, Cates and Brassard that are on the big club that makes zero sense. And let's be honest,  Schmuck and AV had no intention of putting Frost on the roster when the Flyers signed Brassard. There was a miniscule chance that Frost was going to make the team. The fact that Schmuck and AV pretty much said that they would need to knock their socks off was indicative of that. There was a veteran bias going into this. 

46 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He was snake bitten.

Yes and in the best league in the world.

So confidence is everything amongst all these men very little boys.

It will do him good get that scoring going and feeling good about his shot and go from there.

He is only 22. I feel by spring he will be ready and so will the Flyers maybe.

They can get by without him for a while i think. But we'll know more in a month.

I am just looking for something good to watch college football is sucking this year the Eagles have big time issues starting with their new head coach. 

Please someone give me something to watch where someone loves to do what they do.

season 7 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There was a veteran bias going into this. 

There absolutely is a veteran bias at work. The Flyers have been pretty clear that they are not interested in "developing" young talent at the NHL level and are intent on "win now" - in no small part (IMO) to get Giroux "his Cup" as a Flyer and redeem the past 10 years.

Frost's game isn't suited from where I sit as a bottom six NHLer and would be better off playing offensive minutes in the AHL. He needs to be on the ice to get his game where it needs to be.

The only reason he even had a chance to break through had less to do with Brassard and more to do with Hayes' injury.

He admitted he was clutching the stick and not as comfortable as he might have been had he not missed so much time and wasn't expected to be a productive #2C out of the gate on - what the organization* says is - a playoff contender.

For me the analaysis will be on the results. Frost needa to have a solid run in the A. The Flyers need to be a playoff team.

If both of those things happen, it's a win/win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Digityman said:

I mean if you think about it having a line play together for 50+ games before all of them being promoted wouldn't be such a bad thing.  

Frost , Foerester and Ratcliffe playing together in the AHL to prepare for the NHL is actual, legitimate planning.   I don't really understand why that's not done more honestly.   I get that you don't know if all 3 will be ready at the same time, but developing chemistry with players that they might play with down the road can't be bad in any sense.    I could care less if it's not what's best for the phantoms.

This is exactly what we need, when was the last time that any Flyers coach kept a line together for an entire season, when was the last time we had a dominant line at all? They are always moving guys around and shuffling lines, I hope that Frost Ratcliffe and Foerester can be the next Legion of Doom or LCB line for the Flyers. I really think that Foerester and Frost are close to NHL ready , Ratcliffe probably needs a little more time. I hope we develop some good pairs on the blue line and a couple of good lines with these young guys in the AHL. So when they do come up they can actually complete a clean pass and setup some nice plays, which we haven’t seen in years on the Flyers.

• Like 1