Game 34: Penguins at Flyers; 1/6/22 @ 7; ESPN+, Roku

Howie58

Greetings:

Odds aren't out, which may reflect the Pens being prohibitive favorites based on record and the health status of our squad:

https://news.sportsinteraction.com/nhl/matchup/penguins-vs-flyers-odds-010622-147403

While Tristan Jarry is out, the big Pitt guns are in.  Apparently, our lineup will mirror the Ducks game.  

I don't do the ESPN+, Roku gig....will be spared potential ugliness. 

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Travis Konecny and Travis Sanheim have been added to the COVID protocol.  Yikes!

Another "meaningless" NHL season with a big ol' Astrix next to the cup winner....

Teams are full of AHL call ups, games canceled, schedules and travel are impacting teams and their play.... Garbage.

ALSO.... is Ryan Ellis still on our Roster or did he just quietly leave through the back door of the WFC one night and no one noticed.....

Haven't heard a thing about this guy for what seems like weeks.....

• Like 2

Strange to say but neither Koncecny nor Sanheim has played well, yet the Flyers are probably worse without them. Konecny hasn't scored a goal in a month and Sanheim gets more allergic to the puck and to defense every game.

ATTN: BC, PH, Comcast Guy: Hire some real development coaches. It shouldn't be too hard to find a couple guys who can coach and develop young players. I am sick of seeing potential just wasted. You can't expect Farabee, Konecny, etc. to get better when the Flyers can't even get through the neutral zone. I know dump 'n chase is a legit attack but not All the Fkng Time! That just drains players and is stupid as hell to rely on.

This has been going on forever...talented kids come in and plateau in their rookie year. Thank god goalies are isolated (to some extent) and have their own coaches so Hart should be okay, though he's gotta be disgusted with the Flyers invisible Team Defense and the constant turnovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Another "meaningless" NHL season with a big ol' Astrix next to the cup winner....

Teams are full of AHL call ups, games canceled, schedules and travel are impacting teams and their play.... Garbage.

ALSO.... is Ryan Ellis still on our Roster or did he just quietly leave through the back door of the WFC one night and no one noticed.....

Haven't heard a thing about this guy for what seems like weeks.....

Dear Maine:

I agree on the season.  About the only positive for the Flyers may be from the AHL call-ups.  We have a potential backup in Sandstrom. York is a keeper.  If Fletcher puts up the For Sale sign, we may have others to build on.  At this stage, I would rather see the youngins than JVR, Yandle, and the others....including Giroux if we get something good.  

Ellis could be a real human and organizational tragedy.  Seriously.  I hope we don't have another Hatcher or Rathje on our hands.  Even worse would be a late stage Forsberg who was in and out of the lineup and disruptive.  At least Hatcher retired, and Rathje was LTIR.  Either way, we might have a cap-consuming mess. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If Fletcher puts up the For Sale sign, we may have others to build on. 

Maybe...if he stumbles and blind luck hits him on the way down. I just don't trust this guy to do anything different than he's already done. One or two good moves and the rest have been either underwhelming (but good value) like a 5th for Nate Thompson, or Epic Fails like giving away Myers and Patrick for Fabergé Eggman and even worse AZ gets Gostibehere AND two goddamn draft picks. What do the Flyers get? "Future considerations." Brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlAZ7SLuUw

• Like 1

damn didn't think it would work. How do you guys post youtube videos so they appear in your post?

That one is Pacino saying "Uh-oh we got a moron here" but it loses something if you have to click a link and go to another page.

edit: more to the point of the thread...

The Pens GF/GA is +23

The Flyers is -21

The Pens have won 9 straight the Flyers have lost 3 straight.

Pens have 4 guys with 20+ points the Flyers have 2.

The Penguins rank 5th in the NHL in goals against average (2.50) and 11th in goals per game (3.22).

Flyers are 21st (3.24) in goals against av and 27th in goals per game (2.61).

should be a real competitive game...exciting...Riiiiiight.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

If you care to read a more optimistic take on the Flyers there's this:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/1/5/22867798/philadelphia-flyers-return-from-west-coast-face-tough-homestand-mike-yeo-giroux-provorov-protocols

There are some good indications, some players picking it up since AV was fired.  But this:

...especially if JVR, Farabee, and TK can keep creating and others like Lindblom and Hayes can add secondary support.

"and others like Lindlom and Hayes can add secondary support."

Ugh...when your 2C is looked to for "secondary support" that is one weak-ass roster. 

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Epic Fails like giving away Myers and Patrick for Fabergé Eggman

Ellis has twice as many points as Patrick and Meyers have - combined - in four times as many games...

And as for the Ghost trade you spelled "nothing" wrong - as in their compensation wasn't "future considerations" it was "nothing."

For me this season just ties a neat little bow on the abject failure of this organization* over the past 10 years. They took a big swing and missed.

The unfortunate thing from where I sit is that their big takeaway from the experience is likely to be "keep swinging - harder!"

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

The unfortunate thing from where I sit is that their big takeaway from the experience is likely to be "keep swinging - harder!"

This is what keeps me from tuning in.

I am tired of getting my hopes up.

I just watch from afar. Seriously don't even read articles about them anymore just read headlines and move on I can't bri g myself to get invested much anymore.

I hope it changes before end of the year...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This is a dumb statement.

That's literally the role of the 2C.

If I'm wrong I accept the correction. How can I not when you took such pains to be diplomatic? But I always thought primary scorers are your top 6 not just the top line.

@GratefulFlyers

I've said my share of dumb **** on this site. 

Notice I did not call you dumb.

Notice I called the statement dumb.

We all say dumb things.

Own it and move on. 

shooting star GIF

Edited by mojo1917
add the gif...it makes it fun like circus peanuts
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

How can I not when you took such pains to be diplomatic?

HAHAHA funniest thing I have read in awhile that for thank you, I'm sitting at a dealership helping my sister buy I car so you know how boring that can be so thanks for the laugh.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is what keeps me from tuning in.

I am tired of getting my hopes up.

I just watch from afar. Seriously don't even read articles about them anymore just read headlines and move on I can't bri g myself to get invested much anymore.

I hope it changes before end of the year...

I haven’t been emotionally vested in this  team for 2 years now….

@mojo1917

except - secondary scoring is your 3rd and 4th lines.

...now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

3-1 after 2 ...looked like a runaway after a 3-0 1st but the Flyers showed a lot of energy in the 2nd (for a change). Zamula fits in well, he and York both look poised. Zamula tried to pass short at his own blue line, going for a TO. And he and York were on the ice together for some reason and neither one picked up ....can't rem who...for an easy goal - no chance for Hart. Despite those mistakes Zamula and York are quite obviously NHL-ready.

The Flyers could win this if they keep up the energy. They'll have to start finishing some of the chances they're creating. Jarry has been solid but the Flyers are losing the 2nd-chance battles in front of him so far.