Bobrovsky Trade Talk

Guest Dynamo 47

I was perusing my normal lunchtime hockey reports and sites and I came across an interesting one proposing trading Bobrovsky and potential destinations. Now granted it is the Bleacher Report so take it for what it's worth. But there was one trade mentioned in the 7 potential places for Bobrovsky that made some sense.

http://bleacherrepor...ergei-bobrovsky

I will preface my comments with the fact I like Bob and love the fact that we have two quality number one guys on the team which is a luxury the team hasn't had since it was under the illusion that Snow and Hexy were both number ones. So if Bob retired a Flyer at this point I would be happy.

The one area on the team that I feel needs to be addressed and upgraded is defense. We have a lot of puck carrying, mobile defensemen but only one who really brings a consistent physical edge and that is Pronger. I would say Mez is a half.

I would love to add another physical element to the defense and ideally a young, physical defender that isn't going to cost Weber or Suter money.

The deal in the article was this:

To Edmonton: Sergei Bobrovsky

To Philadelphia: Theo Peckham and Edmonton's 2012 third-round pick

If the Flyers are comfortable with a different backup that MIGHT play 15-20 games this deal would make sense. Peckham is big (6'2 235) is physical, plays mean and with an edge, and is young (24). He is a guy that can be an anchor on the defense for the next 7 - 10 years. He is not going to be confused with Bobby Orr with his offensive flair or skate like Paul Coffey. What he will do is punish forwards going to the net, play within his means, drop the gloves to defend a teammate and be a physical presence on the blueline.

I am not the biggest fans of trade discussion threads but this one actually makes sense for both teams.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hab a Happy Thanksgiving!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was perusing my normal lunchtime hockey reports and sites and I came across an interesting one proposing trading Bobrovsky and potential destinations. Now granted it is the Bleacher Report so take it for what it's worth. But there was one trade mentioned in the 7 potential places for Bobrovsky that made some sense.

http://bleacherrepor...ergei-bobrovsky

I will preface my comments with the fact I like Bob and love the fact that we have two quality number one guys on the team which is a luxury the team hasn't had since it was under the illusion that Snow and Hexy were both number ones. So if Bob retired a Flyer at this point I would be happy.

The one area on the team that I feel needs to be addressed and upgraded is defense. We have a lot of puck carrying, mobile defensemen but only one who really brings a consistent physical edge and that is Pronger. I would say Mez is a half.

I would love to add another physical element to the defense and ideally a young, physical defender that isn't going to cost Weber or Suter money.

The deal in the article was this:

To Edmonton: Sergei Bobrovsky

To Philadelphia: Theo Peckham and Edmonton's 2012 third-round pick

If the Flyers are comfortable with a different backup that MIGHT play 15-20 games this deal would make sense. Peckham is big (6'2 235) is physical, plays mean and with an edge, and is young (24). He is a guy that can be an anchor on the defense for the next 7 - 10 years. He is not going to be confused with Bobby Orr with his offensive flair or skate like Paul Coffey. What he will do is punish forwards going to the net, play within his means, drop the gloves to defend a teammate and be a physical presence on the blueline.

I am not the biggest fans of trade discussion threads but this one actually makes sense for both teams.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hab a Happy Thanksgiving!

What it does not address is who is going to be the back up goalie. The odds are good that Leighton would not make it through waivers leaving the flyers on the hook for 1/2 his salary (cap wise). I do like the sound of a real defense guy who could actually log some minutes as the third pairing d but we are still left shopping for a b/u goalie....

Why Peckham? Checking NHL.com stats it appears he can play high minutes,big guy,what else? The Phantoms have some big guys,do the Oilers want to move this guy? Bobbo has joined the list of expendables,he should be allowed to improve his skills else where for a good deal.A real stand-up defense man(no senior citizens) would be a decent trade for Bobbo. I wouldn't worry about back-ups,Bryz should play most of the games.

@flyerod

just insist the other team's current backup goalie be included in the deal. bob for whoever + their #2.

we're seeing what i was afraid of: bob isn't comfortable getting spot starts, and is starting to look bad. if his current play continues, whatever value he may have had at the end of last season will be gone by the end of this one. some goalies need regular starts to keep themselves in game shape, and bob appears to be one of them. the flyers aren't doing anyone any good allowing him to just sit there fading away.

I guess I'm probably in the minority who is not sold on Bryz. I honestly haven't been overly impressed with him so far in the season. I've mentioned it before, but I would bet my Rickenbacker 4003 JG Bass that Bryz will not be the starter here for 9 years, let alone even *be* in Philly for 9 years... not the way we chew up and spit out goalies here.

I would keep Bob or make sure I get a promising goalie prospect in return. We have **** in the pipeline, and my guess is that someone else will be our starter within 4-5 years.

It would be a crying shame if we move a promising backup because of salary before dumping a useless Shelley on waivers to reclaim cap space.

I would bet my Rickenbacker 4003 JG Bass that Bryz will not be the starter here for 9 years, let alone even *be* in Philly for 9 years... not the way we chew up and spit out goalies here....my guess is that someone else will be our starter within 4-5 years.

i dunno, man. a huge contract with a NMC says the flyers will have a tough time moving him. if he is obviously not worth his salary, and thus can't be traded....i don't know how anyone else is the flyers' starter within 4-5 years. that's the problem with the deal, for better or worse, through thick and thin, in sickness and health, bryzgalov is being paid $5.75mil per year to be the flyers' starting goalie for the next 9 years, and has the right to refuse any trade or demotion.

i just don't see how that can possibly change. over the years, more and more of us will want it to change, but that contract really does lock him into the job pretty much for the duration.

I would bet my Rickenbacker 4003 JG Bass that Bryz will not be the starter here for 9 years, let alone even *be* in Philly for 9 years... not the way we chew up and spit out goalies here....my guess is that someone else will be our starter within 4-5 years. i dunno, man. a huge contract with a NMC says the flyers will have a tough time moving him. if he is obviously not worth his salary, and thus can't be traded....i don't know how anyone else is the flyers' starter within 4-5 years. that's the problem with the deal, for better or worse, through thick and thin, in sickness and health, bryzgalov is being paid $5.75mil per year to be the flyers' starting goalie for the next 9 years, and has the right to refuse any trade or demotion. i just don't see how that can possibly change. over the years, more and more of us will want it to change, but that contract really does lock him into the job pretty much for the duration.

Hey, I never said it would be easy ;) A new CBA might change things or allow for one-time buyouts, etc. And, I'm sure that there are all sorts of creative ways to get rid of a player.

I hope I'm wrong and that Bryz ends up having a great career here. I'm just saying that I'm not sold on him, and the chances that he actually plays (as in, not retire) before 40 are slim. There are about 5 guys in the entire NHL that are 40+ so it's the exception rather than the rule to play that long.

Bryzgalov had 2 good years in Phoenix. Before that, he was decidedly average (hovering around 2.50 and .900 sv %). And so far this year, he's been average as well. Granted, we've had a huge roster turnover and our defense has had its injuries.

But shouldn't an elite goaltender steal games for you when you have no business winning? I have not seen Bryz do that yet. I don't think I've even really had a "wow, how did he save that???" moment this season with Bryz. He has, however, let in some deflating goals, and has had more than a few stinkers. There's more bad than good so far.

I know, early in the season, early in a 9 year contract.... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now. But that's why I want to keep a guy like Bob around, because Bryz just doesn't give me that confidence that everything's settled in goal.

I agree Bryz is not playing like veteran 51 million dollar guy.If a good trade is available for Bobbo,I'd say go for it especially a defense man.Pronger and Kimmo are looking their age lately and could some help.If Homer wants these guys around in April,he better come up with somebody.

But that's why I want to keep a guy like Bob around, because Bryz just doesn't give me that confidence that everything's settled in goal.

oh, i'm with you on part of that: the flyers have commited to above average but unspectacular goaltending. i mean, i was a ranting lunatic when the trade was announced, and even more so when the signing was announced. hated it then, hate it now, will hate it for 9 years.

but

1. with a deal that big, bryzgalov is going to be the number 1 guy. he just is. having a quality backup is nice, but at no point will that #2 guy hold the #1 job while bryzgalov is healthy. the flyers don't really have the option to change their mind on bryzgalov and start someone else 60 games a season. keeping bob around with the idea that he might steal the job...it just isn't going to happen. the flyers aren't going to pay a 20 game guy almost $6mil, and even on the weirdo chance they do, are they going to let their goaltending tandam get up into the $10+mil range when bob's current deal is up? i just don't see it.

2. bob is going to deteriorate. he already is. he's played in 1 game per week so far. that isn't going to keep him sharp. he isn't going to move his game forward with that. more likely, he is going to slip. the less than amazing outings he's had recently, that's what happens when a goalie who needs to see 3 games per week is left on the shelf. he gets rusty, he can't find his focus, his timing is a mess. as the season goes on, he will continue at his recent level at best, and will be worthless in trade if he makes it to next summer in a flyers jersey.

i mentioned in a philly.com thread that i believe there is such a thing as a high end backup, a guy who is mentally adjusted to what it takes to be successful getting limited starts and coming into games cold. people kind of laughed at it, but i still think it's true. i think we've seen that bob is not one of those goalies. he needs starts to move forward or even stay on top of his game, and he'll be increasingly worthless the longer he rots on the bench.

i still think what i thought over the offseason: the sooner the flyers can move bob, the better for everyone. bob gets a chance at a career, and the flyers get whatever asset in return plus the chance to bring in a stable backup goalie.

@aziz

I've learned to lurk on our new site aziz! You had to figure I would (in time to raz you about your latest "Bob is going to deteriorate" comments). After Bob's from all accounts brilliant, momentum save filled relief effort last night, would you care to revise your comments?

Meanwhile: Happy Thanksgiving!

@aziz

I've learned to lurk on our new site aziz! You had to figure I would (in time to raz you about your latest "Bob is going to deteriorate" comments). After Bob's from all accounts brilliant, momentum save filled relief effort last night, would you care to revise your comments?

Meanwhile: Happy Thanksgiving!

no. he had a great game, absolutely. quality goaltending is all about consistency, though, and that hasn't been there, nor do i expect it to be there getting 4 starts a month.

@aziz

We'll see I guess but I wouldn't bet against a person who has what I perceive as major league will and discipline to go along with the obvious talent. I believe Bob has his heart set on being the starter by the end of the regular season and I think he can do it. Based upon the props Lavy gave him a after the game, I think the decision maker is going to let the chips fall where they may. Actually, I've always believed that from Lavy's perspective, starts are earned, not given and not based on salary politics.

I have really liked Bob. What is not to like? Before we send him packing, lets find out what we really have. I say that the Flyers go with the hot goalie, not the one that is paid the most. Last night Bob came in for Bryz. He played extremely well. Let him start the next game. If he continues to play well, play him. It will send the right message. The Flyers are about winning! After the preseason, they just gave Bryz the starting role and sent the wrong message. He was badly outplayed in the preseason! If Bryz raises his game to the level that he is being paid for, then, and only then, consider trading Bob.

I don't see the point of trading him at all. What are we going to get, a 2nd rounder for Holmgren to throw in on a trade for a minor leaguer? Bob proved his worth last night, to come in and spell the other goalie when he faulters, which so far, is plenty. And as was said, we don't know how good this kid can be. The thing is, Bob has upside. Bryzgalov is 31. His upside is finding his way out of the woods.

@aziz

Actually, I've always believed that from Lavy's perspective, starts are earned, not given and not based on salary politics.

whether that is true or not may not matter. it may not be a decision that is in lavy's hands. i would expect that at some point, comcast's representatives are going to come knocking on holmgren's door and say, "hey, we aren't paying $51mil for a backup goalie. we bought a starting goalie, now play him".

we'll see. i don't see how it is possible bob unseat's bryzgalov as the team's #1, given the contract situation. he may get extra icetime for a stretch if bryzgalov is having a particularly tough go of it, but bryzgalov will ultimately be back in the driver's seat.

for the record, the *best* thing the team could do in terms of winning now and down the road is to give bob 60 games, in my opinion. he is every bit the goalie bryzgalov is today, and will be better soon, if given the chance. organizations like comcast don't enjoy throwing $51mil away, though, and will insist their investment be made to work. even if it's a square peg in a round hole.

@aziz

I think Comcast wants to win. They will accept Bryz riding the pines if it works and the team wins...until the offseason.

We've disagreed quite a few times over how we project this playing out but I've always agreed that signing Bryzgalov was a bad idea and that Bob appears to be the real deal and is deserving of a shot.

@ aziz and terp i wonder what kind of motivation the towel and touk would foster in Bryzgalov, so far , limited sampling i know, i'm not sure that he doesn't go into the tank if he's benched. then what ? 9 years of malcontent head case :blink:

@ aziz and terp i wonder what kind of motivation the towel and touk would foster in Bryzgalov, so far , limited sampling i know, i'm not sure that he doesn't go into the tank if he's benched. then what ? 9 years of malcontent head case :blink:

Especially if the alternative is coddling him, I'm in favor of finding out. He has to show up and make the big stops or he has to sit down and shut up.

2. bob is going to deteriorate. he already is. he's played in 1 game per week so far. that isn't going to keep him sharp. he isn't going to move his game forward with that. more likely, he is going to slip. the less than amazing outings he's had recently, that's what happens when a goalie who needs to see 3 games per week is left on the shelf. he gets rusty, he can't find his focus, his timing is a mess. as the season goes on, he will continue at his recent level at best, and will be worthless in trade if he makes it to next summer in a flyers jersey.

i mentioned in a philly.com thread that i believe there is such a thing as a high end backup, a guy who is mentally adjusted to what it takes to be successful getting limited starts and coming into games cold. people kind of laughed at it, but i still think it's true. i think we've seen that bob is not one of those goalies. he needs starts to move forward or even stay on top of his game, and he'll be increasingly worthless the longer he rots on the bench.

i still think what i thought over the offseason: the sooner the flyers can move bob, the better for everyone. bob gets a chance at a career, and the flyers get whatever asset in return plus the chance to bring in a stable backup goalie.

For anyone who has some time for a light read; ;)

http://forums.philly.com/discussions/Flyers_Forum/_/_/kr-flyers/85080.1?nav=messages

I noticed aziz you mentioned bob is getting a game a week ......... Hmmmm that surely gives him more than 15 starts. Just sayin.

Sure looks as if bob is being given a chance to prove himself.